IGNORED

Since The Subject of an Austin MTB Print Magazine Has Come up...

RidingAgain

And here's an article on "...The 8 Best Outdoor Adventure Magazines...".

I found the above article on a website named "...Gear Patrol..."... 

And then found this on the website...

"... OUR MISSION... Founded in 2007, Gear Patrol is an award-winning print and digital publication, store, and content studio based in New York City. Our mission is to create a world where everyone is empowered with the right products and knowledge."

Very cool.

Here's a link to the website...

https://gearpatrol.com

And here are some images of the magazine...

10119gear02-1.jpg

coffeetablemags_gear-patrol-magazine_12_inside01_1200x1200.jpg

GP100_Promo_Subscriptions_1045x700.jpg

Edited by RidingAgain

So you agree with every single person here...except for "that one guy".

Yes. Digital is the way to go these days. I’m going to shift my focus to my newest project. It’s a digital publication for people who enjoy air drying their laundry. It’s called “Online Online”.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

My AMA, NRA, and IMBA memberships all have paper magazines as part of the perks. Over the last few years, I have requested that they stop sending them, and just make sure I have access to the digital versions. There is NO REASON to add these things to the supposed recycle processes locally. 

More wiping, less typing. I'm embarrassed I even got pulled back into this thread to survey the shit show once again. Annual Mag... wtf kind of stupid ass idea is that? At least when I lose my mind it's while playing drums or guitar and not on a public forum. Beside old people calling other old people old? Get the ban hammer mods. This guy is a community killer and traffic driver going the wrong way. Cheers to all you cool people still brave enough to visit this site, but one bad apple......Austinmountainbiking.com RIP if this guy is still allowed to post. He will be the only one left.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, notyal said:

Dammit. How could I have fallen into your oh so cleverly planted trap??

That’s ok, you can have those two ideas. After exhaustive research, I’ve determined that starting a printed magazine is dumb.

And that’s perfectly fine, and I even respect your having that opinion. 

Hopefully others here can one day come to grasp how this is possible.

Dammit. How could I have fallen into your oh so cleverly planted trap??

Ahhh, come on now, you’re giving yourself too much credit.

Nothing “...cleverly planned...” about it. No need for “...cleverly planned...” with you folk. Just throw out any ol thing and then watch vain people walk right into it. 

Edited by RidingAgain

Yes. Digital is the way to go these days. I’m going to shift my focus to my newest project. It’s a digital publication for people who enjoy air drying their laundry. It’s called “Online Online”.

Sounds like you’ll have a bunch of customers right here from this website. 

Well, at least a handful.

3 hours ago, Bamwa said:

More wiping, less typing. I'm embarrassed I even got pulled back into this thread to survey the shit show once again. Annual Mag... wtf kind of stupid ass idea is that? At least when I lose my mind it's while playing drums or guitar and not on a public forum. Beside old people calling other old people old? Get the ban hammer mods. This guy is a community killer and traffic driver going the wrong way. Cheers to all you cool people still brave enough to visit this site, but one bad apple......Austinmountainbiking.com RIP if this guy is still allowed to post. He will be the only one left.

100%

• Like 1

No opinion on the all the usual previous shit show.   But sad to report that Dirt Rag announced this week that they will be folding up.  No print mag, no dirt fests, no website.   

Anyone who wants to start a print mag in this day and age must need one hell of a tax write off.

A tax write would be one way to go, by setting up the organization as a non-profit.

A 100-page magazine printed in a quantity of 10,000 units may run you around $18,000-$25,000 in print production cost. And this would be a perfect bound, full color, premium paper magazine. Delivery costs might increase the cost slightly (a couple thousand dollars maybe, depends where it's coming from, US or overseas), but being a hyper local magazine, all units would be coming to one location, which would lessen the cost in comparison to say a catalog that would need to be shipped to multiple locations.

Around 60% of the magazine would be dedicated to advertising space. Many publishers use a 60/40 ratio of ad-to-editorial pages give or take, and given relevant factors for this magazine concept being a free magazine that is funded entirely by advertiser dollars with almost no subscription income. 

Using a 60/40 ad-to-editorial ratio would mean that a 100-page magazine would have 60 pages of advertising. Ad content for these pages would be broken up into top premium priced inside front and outside back cover, less premium priced first few pages and inside two-page specific location spreads, single page inside, half and quarter page, and then classified-type ad pages.

Full-page ad space typical runs from $500-$2,000, which, if you determine 15 of the 60 pages dedicated to ad space would be premium, 20 semi-premium, and the rest (25 pages) at the lowest price, you'd be looking at gross ad income of around $67,500 ($30,000 income from premium priced ad space, $25,000 from semi-premium, and $12,500 from lowest price). If this ad space gross income is achieved, and you take the high end print production cost of $25,000 + $2,000 in shipping, then that leaves you with $40,500 in income that can go towards editorial content and pre-press production costs... Of which pre-press production might take $15,000 (160 hours, which is a full month of work, at just under $100 per hour cost), and editorial production $25,500 ($637.50 per editorial page — photos and written — by 40 pages). And from my experience, the costs I've given are on the higher end of the scale.

Then there's local distribution to consider. There are about 40 locations in the South/North Austin, Round Rock/Georgetown, Bastrop, and San Marcos that are directly related to bicycle and bicycle related product retail. There are probably the same amount of sports medicine focused doctors offices. And then there are general locations like supermarkets, of which are many. But for the sake of keeping things simple, let's put the distribution locations at 100. This means that the 10,000 magazine units would require being dropped off at 100 locations. I think that taking a thousand dollars from the editorial budget and allocating it to the cost of local distribution would be fine.

Now anyone who has crunched numbers knows that you can make numbers do all sorts of things to show all sorts of outcomes, so the above isn't set in stone and you could end up with half that income and double the costs. Then what?

Magazine ad space is typically pre-sold before actually pre-production of the magazine, but very rarely will you be 100% under contract. This means that you need to figure out what your financial start point is, meaning, at what contracted ad space point do you make commitments to editorial content production. Then to making a commitment to pre-press production. And then finally to print production.

Additionally... There is the possibility for sponsorship income from individuals and companies that see the community benefit from the production of this type of published magazine, and the possibility of a readership that would like to support the effort with a pre-paid subscription that gets them the magazine delivered directly to their home, perhaps with some sort of premium not available to readers who pick up the magazine at distribution locations.

A magazine like this is focused on outdoor activity lifestyle and health, which is a $350-billion global industry, ranging from bicycles and hiking equipment, to clothing, to medical, to food/nutrition, to entertainment, to fitness, to government... And on and on.

And further... There is the possibility of duplicating the business model of this magazine in other cities that have a similar type of outdoor activity community focused environment as we have here in Austin. Meaning, you could have a Dallas Bike & Hike Annual magazine, an Atlanta Bike & Hike Annual magazine, a Bentonville Bike & Hike Annual magazine, a Vancouver Bike & Hike Annual magazine.

Edited by RidingAgain