IGNORED

Since The Subject of an Austin MTB Print Magazine Has Come up...

RidingAgain

6 minutes ago, notyal said:

What are you even talking about? The existence of printed materials at SWSX does not justify starting a local MTB magazine. 

Outside of janitorial services, the odds are that "he" has had zero participation in SXSW events. Printed magazines are f@cking stupid.

Saying nothing negative about the site, but look how low the traffic is on this MTB site and it has "austin mountain biking" as the domain name. A paper magazine will just end up in the river, dump, or lining a hobos shoes.

Edited by ATXZJ

5 hours ago, notyal said:

What are you even talking about? The existence of printed materials at SWSX does not justify starting a local MTB magazine. 

Come on notyal, I’ve seen your past comments, I know you can do better than that. 

Your above comment is a straw man. I didn’t say or suggest that printed materials at SXSW justifies starting a local MTB magazine. 

What it does is confirm that printed material is accepted as useful and can hold its own in a predominantly digital focused environment. 

Which was the point I thought I was making. Next time I’ll spell it out a bit more though.

Edited by RidingAgain

4 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Outside of janitorial services, the odds are that "he" has had zero participation in SXSW events. Printed magazines are f@cking stupid.

Saying nothing negative about the site, but look how low the traffic is on this MTB site and it has "austin mountain biking" as the domain name. A paper magazine will just end up in the river, dump, or lining a hobos shoes.

Oh vey... I see the fool has arisen.

23 minutes ago, TheX said:

Hopefully, with the proper seat. Could get uncomfortable really quickly.

And there we have it... The response of the pet.

AND LOOK....

The pet got a laughing face emoji as a reward.

How sweet is that of the fool to give his pet a laughing face emoji.

Now...

Perhaps the fool is simply trying to goad his old man pet it exposing himself in more silly tricks.

So...

Are printed magazine f@cking stupid?

Well... First off... Let's get this clear... What is f@cking stupid is someone using a "...@..." in place of the letter they hope people will replace it with in their mind.

But then... The author of this use of "...f@cking stupid has never really shown himself to be very... Ahhh... Sharp.

But back to the question of are printed magazine f@cking stupid?

Well...

Let's take a look at some numbers...

From a NY Times article...

"...Before Elliott bought Waterstones, which operates more than 280 stores, the chain was struggling, posting a loss in 2012. It now has a double-digit margin. For its 2018 fiscal year, it had sales of more than 385 million pounds, or about $490 million."

$490-million in sales... Not chump change.

But...

Yes... But.

The above quote is from an article about the woes of the bookstore Barnes and Noble, which was suffering badly and recently bought out by a hedge fund firm... The same firm that owns Waterstones, a bookstore chain that's in England and a few other Euro countries.

So we have to look at the good with the bad.

Here are the last two paragraphs of the article I'll give a link to below...

"For everybody else, the digital business is 30 percent and growing by double digits,” said Ryan Vaughan, an analyst at Needham & Company. “These guys, it’s 5 percent and shrinking.”  . . .  In recent years, there have been encouraging signs that the print retail business is rebounding, and publishers hope that a revitalized Barnes & Noble could take advantage of that shift. Independent bookstores are thriving again, and print sales are rising while e-book sales are declining. Even Amazon is investing in physical bookstores across the country."

So...

Where the major brick and mortar retailer stores are concerned... It's tough... But there are retail sales to be had.

And that's just printed material sales through brick and mortar stores.

Next we'll look at... A M A Z O N!!!

Here's the link to the article I pulled the above quotes from...

Enjoy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/books/barnes-noble-sale.html

21 minutes ago, TheX said:

Whoa...SEVEN replies in a row.

He just keeps going, and going, and going...

Edit, 7...hahaha

Yep...

I do.

And it seems...

So do you old man.

Now let's see you jump on your hind legs and wag your tail for your fool mentor yet again... Maybe you'll get another laughing emoji reward.

Edited by RidingAgain

And now...

Jeff Bezos...

Mr. A M A Z O N.

"Today, Bezos controls nearly 40 percent of all e-commerce in the United States. More product searches are conducted on Amazon than on Google, which has allowed Bezos to build an advertising business as valuable as the entirety of IBM. One estimate has Amazon Web Services controlling almost half of the cloud-computing industry—institutions as varied as General Electric, Unilever, and even the CIA rely on its servers. Forty-two percent of paper book sales and a third of the market for streaming video are controlled by the company; Twitch, its video platform popular among gamers, attracts 15 million users a day. Add The Washington Post to this portfolio and Bezos is, at a minimum, a rival to the likes of Disney’s Bob Iger or the suits at AT&T, and arguably the most powerful man in American culture."

Yep...

That's...

"...40 percent of all e-commerce in the United States...".

Just for starters.

This is the guy who "...As the valedictorian of Miami Palmetto Senior High School’s class of 1982, Bezos used his graduation speech to unfurl his vision for humanity. He dreamed aloud of the day when millions of his fellow earthlings would relocate to colonies in space. A local newspaper reported that his intention was '...to get all people off the Earth and see it turned into a huge national park...'..."

That guy.

The guy whose company, in "...A 2018 poll sponsored by Georgetown University and the Knight Foundation found that Amazon engendered greater confidence than virtually any other American institution...".

Yep.

And it continued... 

"...They rated Amazon even more trustworthy than the U.S. military. In contrast to the dysfunction and cynicism that define the times, Amazon is the embodiment of competence, the rare institution that routinely works."

Wow.

This is the company of the guy who is known to have said things like... “Are you lazy or just incompetent?”... “This document was clearly written by the B team. Can someone get me the A-team document?”.... And “Why are you ruining my life?”...".

This guy, back in 2013, bought the struggling newspaper called The Washington Post.

Why?

Why buy a print-focused newspaper?

Here's the thought...

"...But the purchase was a turning point in Bezos’s reputational history—and realigned his sense of place in the world. On the eve of the acquisition, Amazon’s relationship with New York publishing was contentious. The friendly guy who professed his love of Kazuo Ishiguro novels and had created a cool new way to buy books was now seen in some quarters as an enemy of literary culture and a successor to the monopolist Rockefeller. Not long before the acquisition, he had written a memo, obtained by Brad Stone, titled “Amazon.love,” asking the S-Team to ponder how the company could avoid becoming as feared as Walmart, Goldman Sachs, and Microsoft. Although he never justified the purchase of the Post as a response to his anxieties about Amazon’s image—and, of course, his own—the question must have been on his mind as he considered the opportunity. To save a civically minded institution like the Post was a chance to stake a different legacy for himself."

So Jeff Bezos...

The Jeff Bezos...

Mr. Amazon...

Bought himself a print newspaper.

Perhaps because... "...To save a civically minded institution like the Post was a chance to stake a different legacy for himself."

People do things for all sorts of reasons.

Here's the article I took the above quotes from...

Oh... And BTW... It's from a publisher of a print magazine called The Atlantic.

How many people here know that Amazon started as an online bookseller company?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/11/what-jeff-bezos-wants/598363/

Edited by RidingAgain

11 minutes ago, TheX said:

Yep, he's getting angry. Takes a lot of replies to post angry apparently.

And the pet goes "...Ruff, ruff..." while dancing on its hind legs and hoping for another laughing emoji from his fool mentor.

Now watch closely as they continues to do their somewhat... Ahhh... Boyfriends thing.