IGNORED

Since The Subject of an Austin MTB Print Magazine Has Come up...

RidingAgain

So...

We have a billion-dollar hedge fund company... And the world's richest business owner... Showing interest in... The print publishing business.

How about that.

And here's something said about the print business...

"...After all, print continues to generate the largest chunk of revenue for most legacy publishers. Print advertising accounted for 62 percent of the $16.6 billion in magazine advertising revenue in fiscal year 2016, according to PwC’s most recent research, and 87 percent of circulation revenue came from print products."

That's $16.6-billion in advertising revenue take in by print magazine publishers for the fiscal year 2016.

Again... $16.6-billion in advertising revenue in 12 months.

Generated by published magazines.

Here's an interesting article by Forbes regarding the future of print in advertising...

Be sure to consider this part of the article...

"...10. Print will remain ideal for hyper-local markets. . . .  There are "yellow page" industries that have grown solely from hyper-local print advertising. My industry, private investigators, happens to be one. Adding technology and digital advertising has been integral to scaling and creating new markets and users. However, traditional customers still utilize print advertising to meet their needs and we need to play in that space as well."

Here's the link to the article...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescommunicationscouncil/2018/03/02/does-print-still-have-a-place-in-the-future-of-advertising-10-experts-weigh-in/#518937c65fc6

18 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

full f#kin tilt

Looks like the fool is going "...full f#kin tilt..." with his "...tilt..." speaking.

He's so tilted that he's even spelling "...f#ckin..." different now.

I wonder if the fool realizes this.

Or maybe it's a stutter type thing that happens when he's under pressure.

Edited by RidingAgain

And here's a 2012 article on the state of the print publishing business.

Sometimes it's important to see where things are coming from in order to have a better view of where things may go.

You know... The 'ol don't know your past ya don't know ya future thing Ziggy Marley sang about in one of his songs.

http://whattheythink.com/articles/59766-survival-printing-company-todays-chaotic-environment/

And let's remember this that I asked some comments back...

Before the Tweedledum and Tweedledee boyfriend duo of the fool and his pet got all hot and bothered with themselves on this thread... Again...

Here ya go...

A magazine needs to earn income.

The MTB community in Austin is not large enough to generate the income needed.

Therefore, if the magazine is to be produced, what needs to be done?

Edited by RidingAgain

I can only shake my head.

He is a sad fellow.

The sad fellow aside...

Back to this...

A magazine needs to earn income.

The MTB community in Austin is not large enough to generate the income needed.

Therefore, if the magazine is to be produced, what needs to be done?

You need to find alternate income sources.

Just like in any other similar business scenario.

This being the case...

What then are other possible income sources?

I'll give you a hint of where to start looking...

Mountain bikers use... What?

We use trails.

Is there a possible alternate source of income related to these trails that mountain bikers use?

There sure is...

And what would that be?

Edited by RidingAgain

Enter the growing activity of...

Urban Hiking.

Of which, the city of Austin in 2017 got named one of the top ten best urban hiking cities.

Here are some articles on it...

https://www.theactivetimes.com/hike-climb/worlds-best-urban-hiking-cities

https://www.tomsofmaine.com/good-matters/healthy-feeling/live-in-a-city-how-urban-hiking-can-give-you-an-outdoorsy-fix

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2019/05/the-ultimate-guide-to-best-hiking-in-dallas/

Edited by RidingAgain

See...

The key is not to look at the matter from a mountain biking perspective... But from an outdoor trail participation perspective.

Now you've just extended your customer base quite substantially.

Here's a 2017 report on "...Outdoor Participation..."...

https://outdoorindustry.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-Outdoor-Recreation-Participation-Report_FINAL.pdf

Edited by RidingAgain

7 hours ago, TheX said:

Do any of these many replies have a launch/first issue date? 

I'm wondering if the first letter of each word will be capitalized, much like the title of this thread. Reading too much clickbait? 

<cue four more blocked replies>

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TAF said:

I'm wondering if the first letter of each word will be capitalized, much like the title of this thread. Reading too much clickbait? 

<cue four more blocked replies>

Title case according to the RidingAgain style manual.

And if you'd like to have a better understanding of the matter... Which people should try to have before speaking ignorantly about something... Try reading this article...

https://www.topcorrect.com/blog/how-to-capitalize-headings-and-why-it-is-confusing/

Edited by RidingAgain

15 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Come on notyal, I’ve seen your past comments, I know you can do better than that. 

Your above comment is a straw man. I didn’t say or suggest that printed materials at SXSW justifies starting a local MTB magazine. 

What it does is confirm that printed material is accepted as useful and can hold its own in a predominantly digital focused environment. 

Which was the point I thought I was making. Next time I’ll spell it out a bit more though.

Really? I'm making the straw man argument here? You posted a stat that directly contradicts the financial potential of a printed magazine. I called you on it, then you reply with "there's paper materials at SXSW" and anecdotes about yachts and copy/paste stories about Amazon. Starting a grassroots, regional, special interest magazine has absolutely zero parallels with Bezos buying a major newspaper. So, who is really the straw man here?

"A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent."

Honestly, I hope you publish this magazine, and I hope it's great. I am your target market, so yeah, more good content would be good thing for me. However, if you are pitching this idea to the Shark Tank investors, you may want to leave out the statistics proving that the magazine industry is in a tailspin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, notyal said:

Really? I'm making the straw man argument here? You posted a stat that directly contradicts the financial potential of a printed magazine. I called you on it, then you reply with "there's paper materials at SXSW" and anecdotes about yachts and copy/paste stories about Amazon. Starting a grassroots, regional, special interest magazine has absolutely zero parallels with Bezos buying a major newspaper. So, who is really the straw man here?

"A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent."

Honestly, I hope you publish this magazine, and I hope it's great. I am your target market, so yeah, more good content would be good thing for me. However, if you are pitching this idea to the Shark Tank investors, you may want to leave out the statistics proving that the magazine industry is in a tailspin.

OMGLOL, did he seriously say this to you?

Next time I’ll spell it out a bit more though.

Wow, just wow.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, notyal said:

Starting a grassroots, regional, special interest magazine has absolutely zero parallels with Bezos buying a major newspaper. So, who is really the straw man here?

Thats a terrible example anyway. He thinks Bezos bought the WP because its a legitimate source of viable income? Lolz

He bought it to control the narrative and take in big money to publish misinformation. Basically his version of the national enquirer/facebook for corporate interests. 

f@ck amazon

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

Blah blah blah. I left the print publishing industry because I was making a little over $15 an hour after several years in the industry. It could work but I'm not wasting my time with it.

"Zines"  are fun. The Central Library has a huge collection of amateur zines you can peruse for inspiration. 

I'll contribute content to a website that wants to share info about riding bikes though. No money, no problem.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, notyal said:

Yes, you are. 

And if you’re able to read and properly comprehend, you’d know you did exactly that... You built a straw man and then attacked it.

It’s exactly what you did. 

Nowhere did I say or suggest that having printed materials in SXSW justified starting a local MTB magazine, which were your exact words.

That was a straw man... 

You tried to refute are position I never took or implied. 

Hope that helps you.

I’ll get to the other stuff you said when I have more time.

For now I’ll simply say you’ve also put forward another straw man with your accusation of my use of Bezos.

Nowhere did I say or suggest that Bezos bought the Washington Post for financial profit reasons... It was for his image/legacy, and I made that clear.

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

Yes, you are. 

And if you’re able to read and properly comprehend, you’d know you did exactly that... You built a straw man and then attacked it.

It’s exactly what you did. 

Nowhere did I say or suggest that having printed materials in SXSW justified starting a local MTB magazine, which were your exact words.

That was a straw man... 

You tried to refute are position I never took or implied. 

Hope that helps you.

I’ll get to the other stuff you said when I have more time.

For now I’ll simply say you’ve also put forward another straw man with your accusation of my use of Bezos.

Nowhere did I say or suggest that Bezos bought the Washington Post for financial profit reasons... It was for his image/legacy, and I made that clear.

You are delusional. You post these quotes and articles that obviously support the position that you are trying to take then claim it's a "position I never took or implied". 

And the Bezos thing, I never said anything about the reasons he bought it either (financial or otherwise). I don't really care about that. I was just calling out YOU and your bullshit.  I said that it in no way parallels your upstart magazine idea. So why do you post this kind of crap if its not supporting your own position (which it clearly attempts to do)?

I know. It's because you never, ever admit that you are wrong or your dumb ideas could fail, so you deflect by posting this kind of stuff so that you appear to some idea that you know what you're talking about. Someone calls you on that, and you deflect again with a more personal attack or your "straw man" defense or if that doesn't work its "take a chilly pilly, mon" or some other completely hypocritical "I'm just trying to be peaceful and non-confrontational" crap. 

Since I know that you will reply, instead of quoting me and trying to dissect it line by line, how about replying with an argument for this magazine idea that you DO stand behind. Reveil to the rest of us dimwits here how your plan for this magazine will be successful. 

Edited by notyal

13 minutes ago, notyal said:

You are delusional

Pretty much that^

RA, maybe first finish all those "projects" you started talking about back in the mojo days. Then once you're done with that, you can move onto your next fantasy. 

we could start a gofundme page for you.