IGNORED

Why are smart trainers so damn expensive???

TheX

I spin at least 5 hours a week, and I want to ditch my spin bike. No reason not to mount the Kona to a smart trainer...except for the cost. I would love to be able to live with one for a week to make sure I love it. I don't mind paying for one if it does the job, it will definitely get used.

Gotta say, I'm loving Zwift so far. I'm going to swap out the cassette on the Kickr for one identical to what I have on the back wheel. 

Also...

I have a hard time maintaining 250 watts for even short'ish bursts. People doing 400 for hours and hours are BEASTS.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 3:35 PM, TheX said:

Gotta say, I'm loving Zwift so far. I'm going to swap out the cassette on the Kickr for one identical to what I have on the back wheel. 

Also...

I have a hard time maintaining 250 watts for even short'ish bursts. People doing 400 for hours and hours are BEASTS.

If you want to do more than 150-200W for any reasonable amount of time, you'll need  more than the ceiling fan.  Probably also good to try to figure your FTP so you don't overdo it.  Let me know if you want a free trial code for Trainerroad.  I prefer it to the other options out there since it has formal training programs you can follow.

Jan 10th is the 6th anniversary of my heart attack. I have cool heart monitors and have done stress tests with Dr. Tiblier many times. I spin a LOT, just never on MY bike. This is awesome. I'd love to try Trainerroad if you want to PM me a code.

My laptop's bluetooth didn't provide a good enough connection to the trainer, so I tried an external BT and also a ANT+ dongle (my HR monitor is ANT+) and that works well.  However, sometimes I just run the Trainerroad app on my phone and don't worry about HR.  It's the fastest setup for me.

So, my GRX rear mech didn't seem to like the SunRace 11 speed cassette that came with the Wahoo, even though it's supposed to be compatible. I replaced it with the same SLX 11-42 that's on the rear wheel and it's PERFECT. Since that bike is a 1x, it also gave me a little extra help on the 14-16 degree grades that try to kill me.

• Like 1

Nice setup, definitely add a fan or 2 when possible.  Getting a smart trainer was a game changer for me. I got back on the bike about a year ago after a long hiatus. I started on Zwift and have since switched over to Trainerroad as I tend to respond better to a more structured regimen, the Trainerroad podcast and forum is an awesome source of info. I love how easy it is to jump on the trainer and bust out a workout and be done. It will never replace the joy of being outside but with a busy life it has allowed me to fine tune my fitness to a level that I thought to be impossible. I spend most of my weekly ride time (8-10hrs.) on the trainer watching videos of people riding outside.

Zwift has FTP estimation, does it not? They also have training plans but maybe not as good as trainer road, maybe better, I can't say. I'd read some not so great things about them but Zwift is always adapting and improving so they might be better now. 

Is there a virtual biking app that includes riding trails? Or real video of singletrack? 

59 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

Zwift has FTP estimation, does it not? They also have training plans but maybe not as good as trainer road, maybe better, I can't say. I'd read some not so great things about them but Zwift is always adapting and improving so they might be better now. 

Is there a virtual biking app that includes riding trails? Or real video of singletrack? 

Rouvy

• Like 1