IGNORED

Let's Talk Headsets...

RidingAgain

So far, with the exception of my wife's bike and my bike, which came with headsets, the bikes I've worked on have all been 1 1/8 head tubes, and have come with headsets already installed (some sealed bearing, some not). But now I just bought my first tapered head tube frame, so I've been looking at applicable headsets... Which can be a little confusing given all the variations out there. And there are a lot of related bits and pieces.

I came across this diagram that I thought was kind of helpful, but would appreciate more experienced thoughts on the matter.

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 12.12.46 PM.png

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 1

Tapered steerer fork in a straight head tube...

Read the below comment that was made in the comments section of this YouTube video...

"His description is wrong. This only works for frames with a 44mm (43.9mm really) head tube so if you have a 1 1/8th straight steerer (33.8 mm), it will not work. His head tube is a 44mm not a 1 1/8th Sadly, there is no conversion to a straight 1 1/8th steerer. Also, since 44mm head tubes are designed to allow a tapered or straight steerer fork depending on the bottom headset cup used, I don't think it will void your warranty. What may void your warranty is using a rubber mallet to force a sensitive aluminum headset into a thin aluminum head tube. Strongly encourage viewers to use a proper headset press since this is not the old days of pounding steel headsets into steel head tubes."

Edited by RidingAgain