IGNORED

Riding Etiquette

Debo

Ride long enough this always pops its head.
I no longer care. If I can stop then I'll stop and yield happlily.
If I'm huffing up something like EBD then I wont happily stop unless I have to. 99% of the time I say hi or something and almost always get a grunt or hello back. If I dont get a response back, whatever man, be rude but expect any help if you need it from me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Interesting article:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2407740/mountain-biker-behavior-trail-access?fbclid=IwAR0t1Zw3cQkaLgoFBo3qj0J4rRE2e9GilZZf3Xlyss-B-wI-pHjeGoUj0ug

I guess the next time I feel like telling the horseback rider  "wow, your horse has two assholes. one under its tail, and another on top of the saddle", I might just keep it to myself?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yosmithy said:

Interesting article:

Thanks for posting it. I somehow never managed to visit Kingdom Trails when I lived closer to them than I now live to Big Bend, but I have a lot of NY based friends who spend a ton of time there. Back when the word got out that some landowners revoked MTB rights, but left the right for other users, it was a big mystery why it happened. So now that it is known why, perhaps Kingdom can work to mend things with the landowners. But Kingdom is going to have to work real hard to make sure bikers aren't assholes to folks on their own land. Given how much Texans ride on ranches, I think we're cognizant of the concept. But private land riding is quite rare in the northeast, so it'll take some work. 

Can you imagine what would happen if someone yelled at Jimmy to get out of way at FRR? 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 11:05 AM, Yosmithy said:

Interesting article:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2407740/mountain-biker-behavior-trail-access?fbclid=IwAR0t1Zw3cQkaLgoFBo3qj0J4rRE2e9GilZZf3Xlyss-B-wI-pHjeGoUj0ug

I guess the next time I feel like telling the horseback rider  "wow, your horse has two assholes. one under its tail, and another on top of the saddle", I might just keep it to myself?

Yeah, very interesting. Makes me think of a few things.

First, that same concept in Sweden is alive in England. You can literally walk across anyone's property lines. "Ramblers" go for walks on the weekends and literally just plow across fields and open gates to access paths. Lots of fighting about it but ultimately it is allowed.

On the other end of the spectrum is Sourth Korea. We wave occasionally but there everyone bows. Literally every time you pass them. Even if they are riding uphill. Pretty weird. 

When it comes to horses I totally get it. So many riders think they can skirt past a horse, but I tend to dismount because I know it is really easy to spook a horse. You don't want 1,000 pounds of out of control meat with hard hooves bouncing around, it will crush your bike.

As an community there is always an asshole in every town and that person does far more damage than we can ever make up. It's sad but it is so hard to reach these people. Typically they are new riders who watch Red Bull rampage and think that is what it is all about. The entitlement of that crowd is strong.

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

First, that same concept in Sweden is alive in England. You can literally walk across anyone's property lines. "Ramblers" go for walks on the weekends and literally just plow across fields and open gates to access paths. Lots of fighting about it but ultimately it is allowed.

Up until the last couple of years, I wasn't aware of the "Right to Roam" law in many parts of Europe (and others?). 

As a land owner, I'm sure it's not a popular topic, but as a MTB rider, I think it's fantastic 🙂

5 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

Up until the last couple of years, I wasn't aware of the "Right to Roam" law in many parts of Europe (and others?). 

As a land owner, I'm sure it's not a popular topic, but as a MTB rider, I think it's fantastic 🙂

I experienced it on a trip to England one time. I was on a work trip, and the company I was visiting had some guys who ride, so they took me out. We did a 10-20 mile ride from village to village, weaving around through dirt roads, paths through fields and sheep pastures,, etc. A lot of the fences between property had steps over them where the paths crossed. The coolest were the old stone fences, with steps built right in via stones turned sideways and sticking out. Throw your bike over your shoulder, climb over, and you were on your way :). 

I remember thinking how cool it was to be able to ride to the next town over, stop at a pub, and ride back without spending much time at all on the road. Especially for a country with European population density.

• Like 2

My inlaws did a hiking trip across Scotland for their 50th anniversary where they hiked pub to pub across all sorts of private/public land. There’s a smattering of shelters on some paths to get out of the weather. Whole different deal when the pissing match over land was settled centuries earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

My inlaws did a hiking trip across Scotland for their 50th anniversary where they hiked pub to pub across all sorts of private/public land. There’s a smattering of shelters on some paths to get out of the weather. Whole different deal when the pissing match over land was settled centuries earlier.

That sounds like a LOT of fun.