IGNORED

Struggling To Lose Weight Through Cycling? This Could Be Why

TheX

On 3/13/2020 at 7:32 AM, throet said:

My weight loss has slowed some over the past couple of weeks. I was losing 2lbs per week and now I'm losing about 1lb per week, still without giving up beer and now back on the bike a couple of times per week. I've gone from around 201 to 184 and plan to drop at least another 5lbs.   

Since I had to see the doctor back in Jan to start carefully monitoring my blood glucose again, my health insurance, Anthem, offered me a free 12-mo diabetes prevention program. I had already lost 13lbs at the time and was back in control of my diet, but since the program included a free wi-fi scale and FitBit, I figured what the heck. It's completely digital (YesHealth App) and you're encouraged to log all of your meals and activities. A team of dieticians and health coaches review all of your meals and activities, grading you along the way. I'm getting a lot of great guidance, and have my scale and Fitbit connected to the App now. Pretty cool arrangement but best suited for people who really need constant feedback and encouragement. I suppose for me there is also an aspect of "somebody's watching me" that has me wanting to compete and prove myself. I'm now down to around 178 from the 201 I was at mid-Jan. I'll be bumping my calories and beer intake up some to keep from getting too skinny. My wife sort of misses her big fella. 

Screenshot_20200404-105640.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

OK I promise this will be my last weight loss / prediabetic update. Got my A1c rechecked today and I'm thrilled to say that I dropped my Jan measure of 6.1 (prediabetic) down to a 5.3 (within normal range). While that was my primary goal, I've also went from ~201 lbs in Jan to now having logged 6 weeks of weigh-ins at under 175 lbs. I know there have been debates on this forum over the best way to lose weight, but I am now a firm believer that the most important aspect of diet is what you eat much more so than the volume or frequency of what you eat. While you can argue that it's a simple matter of burning more calories than you consume, I'm convinced that magic happens inside your body when you eat the right foods and especially when you eat them in the right combinations. I honestly don't believe that I'm eating any less than I had been - just eating the right stuff now - and still drinking 10-12 heavy beers per week.

On the down side, most of my size 34 MTB shorts don't have belt loops and the flimsy velcro adjusters don't work worth crap. So I'm finding myself constantly tugging on my shorts out on the trail to get them back up over my ass. Makes those tech sections out of the saddle a bit challenging.        

Capture+_2020-07-24-15-46-24.png

Capture+_2020-07-24-15-46-08.png

• Like 6

1 minute ago, throet said:

OK I promise this will be my last weight loss / prediabetic update. Got my A1c rechecked today and I'm thrilled to say that I dropped my Jan measure of 6.1 (prediabetic) down to a 5.3 (within normal range). While that was my primary goal, I've also went from ~201 lbs in Jan to now having logged 6 weeks of weigh-ins at under 175 lbs. I know there have been debates on this forum over the best way to lose weight, but I am now a firm believer that the most important aspect of diet is what you eat much more so than the volume or frequency of what you eat. While you can argue that it's a simple matter of burning more calories than you consume, I'm convinced that magic happens inside your body when you eat the right foods and especially when you eat them in the right combinations. I honestly don't believe that I'm eating any less than I had been - just eating the right stuff now - and still drinking 10-12 heavy beers per week.

On the down side, most of my size 34 MTB shorts don't have belt loops and the flimsy velcro adjusters don't work worth crap. So I'm finding myself constantly tugging on my shorts out on the trail to get them back up over my ass. Makes those tech sections out of the saddle a bit challenging.        

Capture+_2020-07-24-15-46-24.png

Capture+_2020-07-24-15-46-08.png

Congrats buddy. That's awesome!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, throet said:

OK I promise this will be my last weight loss / prediabetic update.

Promise?

I keed! I keed!

Always good to hear great news like this. I hope other folks aren't reluctant to share their inspiring stories.

• Like 1