IGNORED

Cedar fever!

I couldn't imagine being a serious allergy sufferer and living in austin. Must be hell as there's never any relief since each season has it's own issues. At least in the west, the winter is cold enough that everything just goes dormant vs here, its when cedar kicks into high gear. blarf

mold can go f@ck itself too

9 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Did 16 miles out on the greenbelt yesterday with my combo of cedar serum and generic Claritin. Worked great, significantly less mucus than a typical ride.

YMMV, everyone's body is different.

Annnnd then today I pressed my luck on an "unmentionable trail."

I was a snot machine and my eyes are swollen.

Get me to late February and everything will be fine.

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Annnnd then today I pressed my luck on an "unmentionable trail."

I was a snot machine and my eyes are swollen.

Get me to late February and everything will be fine.

Rode from RR to Gtown this AM.  No problem.

Rode through the neighborhood gravel and single track, now I am wrecked.  Snot, itching eyes, and headache.  Damn!

8 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I couldn't imagine being a serious allergy sufferer and living in austin. Must be hell as there's never any relief since each season has it's own issues. At least in the west, the winter is cold enough that everything just goes dormant vs here, its when cedar kicks into high gear. blarf

mold can go f@ck itself too

I learned that the hard way after leaving Ohio to serve in the Army at Ft. Hood. Suffered miserably during maneuvers out in the field. Finally learned not to wait for symptoms. Been doing Zyrtec and Flonase daily for the last 20 years and manage pretty well. 

43 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Does this cedar allergy get worse as the count goes up? Mine has been abating, which makes me wonder if the coincidental high mold count that occurred at the same time is really what got to me.

Yes, it does get worse with higher counts. Basically those counts are "particles in the air" so the higher the count, the worse it should be for you.

In simple terms (not a doctor) your body is pretty immune to cedar and it takes time for most to develop symptoms of cedar fever. If you just moved here a few years ago the cedar has probably not had as much impact and it becomes all about thresholds. But if you have been here for a long time you get worn down to a nub by cedar. My first 18 or so years, never had an issue. The last 5 years have been hell.

But I would not be surprised to see that there are multiple things giving you problems. Yesterday's cedar number was off the charts, the second highest in 25 years. BUT it really comes down to exposure.

• Like 1

I am no scientist, but if you are buying a mask, you need to make sure that the mask can filter cedar pollen which is ~20-30 microns.

The first masks that I picked up were not filtering them because the "holes" were like 50 microns (also called micrometers).

I ended up with disposable surgical masks. They're ugly and I look like Michael Jackson but I am still on the bike. I can toss a few in a ziplock bag in my pack, easy access if things go south on a ride. 

Do your research first because many of the masks out there are probably catching all of the pollen as you ride and then as you breathe it is pulling it through right to your lungs.

In simple terms (not a doctor) your body is pretty immune to cedar and it takes time for most to develop symptoms of cedar fever. If you just moved here a few years ago the cedar has probably not had as much impact and it becomes all about thresholds. But if you have been here for a long time you get worn down to a nub by cedar.

I have a theory that if you’re born here and never leave you are naturally immune for life. Everyone I know who struggles with this isn’t truly native to Austin even if they’ve lived here almost their entire life. If the cedar count is insanely high it just effects me the same way breathing dusty air does. Maybe a little bit of dry throat and I have to blow my nose a few times just from the shear amount of junk in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

If the cedar count is insanely high it just effects me the same way breathing dusty air does. Maybe a little bit of dry throat and I have to blow my nose a few times just from the shear amount of junk in the air.

This is my experience as well.  I'm not a native Austonian.

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I am no scientist, but if you are buying a mask, you need to make sure that the mask can filter cedar pollen which is ~20-30 microns.

The first masks that I picked up were not filtering them because the "holes" were like 50 microns (also called micrometers).

I ended up with disposable surgical masks. They're ugly and I look like Michael Jackson but I am still on the bike. I can toss a few in a ziplock bag in my pack, easy access if things go south on a ride. 

Do your research first because many of the masks out there are probably catching all of the pollen as you ride and then as you breathe it is pulling it through right to your lungs.

I didn't get my micrometer out, but wearing those makes the difference from massive sneezing attacks to just sniffling. Not sure if that is enough to get listed in a medical journal though

3 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

I have a theory that if you’re born here and never leave you are naturally immune for life. Everyone I know who struggles with this isn’t truly native to Austin even if they’ve lived here almost their entire life. If the cedar count is insanely high it just effects me the same way breathing dusty air does. Maybe a little bit of dry throat and I have to blow my nose a few times just from the shear amount of junk in the air.

Probably true. I am not allergic to deep dish pizza but I have several friends who aren't native to Chicago and they are only able to eat one piece before they start feeling the effects.

28 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Probably true. I am not allergic to deep dish pizza but I have several friends who aren't native to Chicago and they are only able to eat one piece before they start feeling the effects.

One slice of Giordano’s pizza is like 3 regular slices.  2 slices is a lot, but it’s hard to stop at one.  Definitely feel it later though.  Last time I went I hadn’t figured out I was lactose intolerant.  D’OH!!

Agreed. Been here since '72 when I was 2.
For me .. I think the reactions to something like pollens is natural. It can suck sometimes . It is my body's reaction naturally that helps me more that swallowing pills. I expect my eyes to get irritated. I expect the scratchy throat or snot nose. That's how the body reacts to something like pollen. When I'd did take a pill to dry my runny nose for example I feel so much worse. I just roll with it and rarely have bad issues.
Blow my nose.. cough up junk a bit
Meds make me feel cloudy and worse off.

I am skeptical of the medical industry and think the so called allergy doctors stumbled on a gold mine and sell snake oil to people in the name of managing allergies.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Cafeend said:

For me .. I think the reactions to something like pollens is natural. It can suck sometimes . It is my body's reaction naturally that helps me more that swallowing pills. I expect my eyes to get irritated. I expect the scratchy throat or snot nose. That's how the body reacts to something like pollen. When I'd did take a pill to dry my runny nose for example I feel so much worse. I just roll with it and rarely have bad issues.

I am skeptical of the medical industry and think the so called allergy doctors stumbled on a gold mine and sell snake oil to people in the name of managing allergies.

The Kimberly-Clark Tissue cartel has suckered you!

• Like 1

I think for most people it's not a huge issue. However, if I did that and ignore it, I end up with a upper respiratory infection and then bronchitis.

Typically I get hit really hard at the beginning of the cedar season and if I don't get it under control then the next few months are a living hell of barely sleeping and staying inside.

Most years it's not that bad, but years like this when we have record highs are just shit.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk