IGNORED

Can I be a dick for 4.2 seconds?

Sluggo

I agree with Sluggo. This site is the corporate version of Mojo. A PC mountain bike forum exists. It's called MTBR. I don't go there because it's boring. I have more unread threads here than I ever had on Mojo (despite the fact I continuously accidently mark them all as read). Why? because they are boring. PC is boring. Don't be boring. 

• Like 1

Mojo was a ghost town before the bots took over, so nothing new if this site is slow at times. Objectively, the only real activity on the mojo was when there was some sort of fighting with either bartman or riding again. That's not a MTB forum, its the comment section on TMZ. 

There's plenty of sites out there to insult one another in anonymity. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Mojo was a ghost town before the bots took over, so nothing new if this site is slow at times. Objectively, the only real activity on the mojo was when there was some sort of fighting with either bartman or riding again. That's not a MTB forum, its the comment section on TMZ. 

There's plenty of sites out there to insult one another in anonymity. 

I didn't say slow. I said boring. A thread on Mojo about trying to sell a fish tank turned into comedy gold. Here, it would turn into a lesson about where to properly post non-bike related for sale items. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, notyal said:

I didn't say slow. I said boring. A thread on Mojo about trying to sell a fish tank turned into comedy gold. Here, it would turn into a lesson about where to properly post non-bike related for sale items. 

There's an entire forum for that and this type of thread.

https://austinmountainbiking.com/index.php?/forum/12-general-chat/

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I love the comedy on Mojo. I can do without the blatant asshattery.

I got tired of being looked at as an asshole by anyone that I would bring up Mojo to. "Those guys are total and complete assholes" is something I heard more than once. And the people acting that way are totally proud of that fact. That kind of rootin' tootin', boot scootin', loving Putin, pistol shootin' (while riding) mentality is incomprehensible to me and I want nothing to do with it. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

...when there was some sort of fighting with either bartman or riding again. That's not a MTB forum, its the comment section on TMZ..."

I don't think to speak for Bartman... But I never thought I was in a fight with anyone. It was more like me trying to help big grown ass men see that they were being like little girls getting all hissy.

🙂

And that my good friends... Is how it's done.

1 hour ago, notyal said:

I agree with Sluggo. This site is the corporate version of Mojo. A PC mountain bike forum exists. It's called MTBR. I don't go there because it's boring. I have more unread threads here than I ever had on Mojo (despite the fact I continuously accidently mark them all as read). Why? because they are boring. PC is boring. Don't be boring. 

At least this site is a dedicated Austin mountain biking forum run by someone who has been riding local Austin trails for the last 20 years, versus some mysterious admin on MoJo that doesn't live in the Austin area and doesn't even care enough about the site to fix the spambot problem, not to mention doing absolutely zero moderation.  The troll nature of Bike MoJo kept many people from joining and participating over the years.  Also, there are no ads on this site, unlike MoJo, and you don't have to buy a subscription to get important features like the ability to upload photos to your posts.  

I will fix the unread issue soon, I am just very busy right now getting ready for a big show I have to attend next month in Portland.

I'm not going to apologize for not allowing trolls like Bartman to have a home here. 

..Al

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

I don't think to speak for Bartman... But I never thought I was in a fight with anyone. It was more like me trying to help big grown ass men see that they were being like little girls getting all hissy.

🙂

And that my good friends... Is how it's done.

How it's done should not be doing it wrong...and you're doing it wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notyal said:

And here it will go unnoticed and die. 

I know everything on MoJo was posted in a single forum, but that's partially because the site was much broader in scope and covered biking in a variety of areas.  There are plenty of ways to see new content, such as the All Activity and Unread Content links at the very top of every page.  You can also subscribe to threads you are interested in and will receive notifications when there are new posts.  Very few sites have a single forum where "everything goes".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

At least this site is a dedicated Austin mountain biking forum run by someone who has been riding local Austin trails for the last 20 years, versus some mysterious admin on MoJo that doesn't live in the Austin area and doesn't even care enough about the site to fix the spambot problem, not to mention doing absolutely zero moderation.  The troll nature of Bike MoJo kept many people from joining and participating over the years.  Also, there are no ads on this site, unlike MoJo, and you don't have to buy a subscription to get important features like the ability to upload photos to your posts.  

I will fix the unread issue soon, I am just very busy right now getting ready for a big show I have to attend next month in Portland.

I'm not going to apologize for not allowing trolls like Bartman to have a home here. 

..Al

First of all, I'd like to say that I am genuinely appreciative of what you are doing here. You created this forum and took on the thankless job of moderating it just for your love of the ATX MTB community. That can't be stressed enough. 

Perhaps the fact that Mojo lived on for so long in spite of the software related shortcomings is a testament to the freewheeling format. I loved it because it was like hanging out with your bike buddies in the parking lot after a ride. We all ride bikes. That's what bonds us, but we don't talk about them 24/7. We talk about life, kids, bikes, beer, the last concert we went to, bikes again, and so on. You never get moved to a different tailgate for bring up something off topic.

6 minutes ago, notyal said:

First of all, I'd like to say that I am genuinely appreciative of what you are doing here. You created this forum and took on the thankless job of moderating it just for your love of the ATX MTB community. That can't be stressed enough. 

Thank you, I appreciate that. 

6 minutes ago, notyal said:

Perhaps the fact that Mojo lived on for so long in spite of the software related shortcomings is a testament to the freewheeling format. I loved it because it was like hanging out with your bike buddies in the parking lot after a ride. We all ride bikes. That's what bonds us, but we don't talk about them 24/7. We talk about life, kids, bikes, beer, the last concert we went to, bikes again, and so on. You never get moved to a different tailgate for bring up something off topic.

There is no reason such topics cannot be discussed, and that is why I created an Off Topic forum.  Just because this site has some organization does not mean you can no longer talk about these subjects, and depending on how you view new posts, the organization does not need to get in the way at all.  I am not a fan of a single forum where "everything goes".  It makes it more difficult to find topics about subjects you are looking for if just browsing, and especially for new visitors to the site. 

Nearly all forums I visit are structured in a similar fashion, with topical forums broken apart into relevant areas, and then an Off-Topic area (or areas) where other subjects can be discussed.  I have five Off-Topic forums on my other site and they get quite a bit of traffic.  I even have them invisible to guests so people don't find those topics when searching Google, as I don't want people joining just to post only in the Off-Topic areas if they are not interested in the main subject matter of the site.  

..Al

• Like 2

1 minute ago, notyal said:

The only other thread in the Off Topic sub-forum is literally about why people aren't posting in this sub-forum. Just sayin'.

It's a new forum, and people who came over here from MoJo are used to a single forum to post everything in.  Give it time. 

..Al

It's a thankless job, Albert... Even when people seem to be thanking you.

Just do your best... Follow your gut/experience... Ask advice.

I run a squash box ladder at a Lifetime Fitness gym. Months ago player members were complaining about there being no competitive aspect to the squash activity, so I stepped up and created/run a team league and then a box ladder. Started with 27 people, and now up to 40. Damn if I don't have to treat most of the participants like kids... Always asking them to play their matches, and write their scores on the hardsheets on the notice board.

Some lead... Some follow... Some follow and are never happy.

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 3