IGNORED

Bentonville AirBnBs

fontarin

I'd be interested in a long weekend (maybe 4 days of riding) as a "forum weekend." Don't want to go through the logistics of trying to get everyone on the same page for lodging, etc. but I would love to say "hey, May 10-13 be in Bentonville and we will all ride." Let everyone sort out their own logistics; we all get there we all ride.

I'd be interested in a long weekend (maybe 4 days of riding) as a "forum weekend." Don't want to go through the logistics of trying to get everyone on the same page for lodging, etc. but I would love to say "hey, May 10-13 be in Bentonville and we will all ride." Let everyone sort out their own logistics; we all get there we all ride.

Let’s try a “forum ride” here in Austin first. We all may be as annoying as we come across on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 3

• 7 months later...

We went the past two years over Thanksgiving.  We had a fair amount of rain both years and some pretty cold days.   It isn’t the best time but it has been when my kids could go.    For that matter, the only other time I’ve been was Spring Break which was also really rainy. I would like to go mid-October sometime.  Maybe even see a little Fall color.  

FWIW…you can ride a ton of the trails up there in the wet. As in, actively raining kind of wet. It’s maybe not ideal, but it’s not like down here where your ride prospects are ruined for a few days after a hard rain.

Onyx Coffee is a perfect place to wait out a cold downpour, just an FYI.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So booked a place in Bella Vista, remote,, woodsy, and literally feets from the trail, in particular The Ledges and also next to part of the Back 40.

We just need to get out of dodge since all other trips have been cancelled this year. 

So riding is covered , no worries there, any suggested hikes for the non biking weirdos?

All around the Crystal Bridges museum are paved paths with neat sculptures dotted throughout. My wife loved it. Also the gardens on the northeast side of the property have a holiday light display that we hear is pretty incredible.

Other than that, the Back 40 would make a great hiking trail as well as the park on the southwest corner of Tiger & A Street.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

All around the Crystal Bridges museum are paved paths with neat sculptures dotted throughout. My wife loved it. Also the gardens on the northeast side of the property have a holiday light display that we hear is pretty incredible.

Other than that, the Back 40 would make a great hiking trail as well as the park on the southwest corner of Tiger & A Street.

We use the trails you mentioned as a connector from the Crystal Bridges area over to Leopard Loop and Tristan's trail. They are pretty awesome with the creek running through them.

I believe the light display will already be going when you are up there Teamsloan. Definitely worth getting tickets and taking the family.

Cafeend, other than hiking, there is the world class Crystal Bridges Museum with a Frank Lloyd Wright house tour. The Momentary may be of interest, and I think there is a children's museum around there, too.

Teamssloan is quite correct about riding in the rain there--a lot the Little Sugar trail on the west side of Bella Vista is quite rideable in the rain (we got rained on while riding there last Thanksgiving.) I can't wait to get back on the bike and make it back up there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Really?!?  I had no idea there were FLW houses in that area.

-CJB

I think there's just the one on the museum grounds.  It was moved from somewhere in New Jersey.  I was in Bentonville last weekend and the FLW house is closed to entry due to COVID.  The Museum is open though and the trails were great.  I took the Rich Drew jump clinic and had a blast but wish it would have been a bit cooler and less humid.

Just booked a house (2nd St) for first weekend in November, the host said it is just a couple houses down from Rich Drew.  Couple questions, good location?  Besides Slaughter Pen, what areas should not be missed?  Rich Drew offers trail experiences as well as clinics, anyone done these?  Worth the cost?  Favorite Restaurant, brewery, bars (that provide Covid precautions)?

Thanks in Advance.  Hoping weather will be good that weekend.

I think I just stayed in the house you are talking about. As we were rolling in, we saw Rich in the front yard working on a bike. After we got settled in we headed out for a ride and he was still outside so we stopped and chatted for a bit. He's a super nice guy and had some good recommendations for what to ride. It's definitely a good location. From the house, it's an easy 3 minute ride to the top of a trail called Ravine, which starts near the Buckyball (google it). That trail ends up at a new feature called Masterpiece which is this ridiculous flow line made of metal and dirt and rocks. From there, you're right in the heart of Slaughter Pen and can jump on All American or hit Boo Boo/Choo Choo. Rich's #1 suggestion (he mentioned it every time we saw him) was to go to Mt. Nebo. It's a couple of hours from Bentonville, so we didn't even think about trying it on this trip. It's on our list for future trips though... We did drive over to Eureka Springs and check out the Lake Leatherwood DH trails. It was fun, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless you love to jump and are looking for big features to hit. Maybe it was because it had been really dry up there, but many of the corners were so loose it was hard to carry enough speed to clear some of the jumps. Coler was a blast, but we really only hit 3 of the trails. Fireline was amazing and just perfect for my intermediate jump skills. Small tables at the top that get progressively bigger as you go down the hill. The last couple are probably 15-18 feet, but there's no penalty for coming up short so it's easy to progress. We probably rode it 4 or 5 times, which is why we didn't get to many of the other trails. Every time you go down a trail, it's a couple hundred feet of climbing to get back to the top. Cease and Desist starts with some bigger tables and then gets to the stuff everyone sees on YouTube - Drop the Hammer. That one's too big for me, but I did a couple of the other drops. We also rode Rock Soft which was a fun trail - a few jumps, a bit of tech - but had too much climbing for our liking on a day where we were already having to climb a lot. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably pick Rock Solid as it looks like there's less climbing. All these trails are best accessed from the North parking lot. We had hoped to check out some of the stuff on the South side of Coler, but after a few hours in the heat and humidity we all needed a break.

I've got no experience with Rich's clinics, but having watched a bunch of his videos I'd give it a shot if I had the time (and of course depending on the cost).

The restaurant scene can be tricky. Most restaurants seem to close by 9. The Pedaler's Pub is worth a try. As of a couple of weeks ago, they were only doing outdoor seating. They have a good selection of food and drinks, although it felt a bit pricey for what you got. We've been to the Pressroom a couple of times. They have outdoor seating but seem to be offering a pretty limited menu right now (not sure what it'll be like in November). I'd say our favorite place we ate was Oven & Tap. The menu ranged from salads to pizza to seared tuna with delicious, interesting appetizers and some good specialty cocktails.

The closest we got to the bar scene was having a few drinks at the bar outside The Momentary, a satellite location of the Crystal Bridges museum. Nothing too special, but it's a nice spot to hang out if the weather's nice.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just booked a house (2nd St) for first weekend in November, the host said it is just a couple houses down from Rich Drew.  Couple questions, good location?  Besides Slaughter Pen, what areas should not be missed?  Rich Drew offers trail experiences as well as clinics, anyone done these?  Worth the cost?  Favorite Restaurant, brewery, bars (that provide Covid precautions)?
Thanks in Advance.  Hoping weather will be good that weekend.

If you like backcountry single track, The Back 40 is great, long, and still has some progressive features mixed in.

Coler Preserve is park riding without the lift. Lots of progressive lines with features. Still fun even if you suck at jumps like me.

Then there’s Fayetteville to the south, but I haven’t ridden there yet.

Restaurants/Bars:
TrickDilly - Tacos with a bit of Korean fusion thrown in. Huge tacos. Kimchi nachos. Amazing.

Peddler’s Pub - Descent pizza, local beers (Bikerack Brewing is next door). If you’re in B’ville for a bike trip, it’s the obligatory first night place.

Preacher’s Son - Speakeasy style cocktail bar, in the basement of a gothic cathedral. Upstairs is an upscale restaurant.

8th Street Market - Bikerack Brewing’s main brewery and taproom, an inside food court and outside food trailer park with a ton of options.

Onyx Coffee Lab - Hip coffee place with a limited (but dang good) breakfast menu.

Trash Creamery - Icecream Sunday’s the size of your face with an 80’s theme.

…and surprisingly, the restaurant inside the Crystal Bridges Museum was really good and a cool location.

If you want some finer dining…
Table Mesa - Redundant name with really good Latin inspired menu (kinda like Z-Texas)

Tusk & Trotter - meat (mostly pork) and super good pork rinds. Some of the best food I’ve had in the area.

The Preacher’s Son - the upstairs restaurant from the cocktail bar mentioned above.

• Like 3