IGNORED

Bentonville AirBnBs

fontarin

4 hours ago, CrownKing said:

Just booked a house (2nd St) for first weekend in November, the host said it is just a couple houses down from Rich Drew.  Couple questions, good location?  Besides Slaughter Pen, what areas should not be missed?  Rich Drew offers trail experiences as well as clinics, anyone done these?  Worth the cost?  Favorite Restaurant, brewery, bars (that provide Covid precautions)?

Thanks in Advance.  Hoping weather will be good that weekend.

Just a couple of things to add to the responses above.

I would recommend the new trail next to Ozone that's called Hammer Down.  It's got a a drop, fun jumps and a big wood bridge that you can jump or catch air on the backside if you choose to.  it meets up w/ ozone so you can use that to climb back to the start if you want to do loops.  If you choose to continue down Ozone look before you hit the line with the drop as it's not small and you'll want to scope the landing and run out.  Also I really enjoyed the red barn area in particular Barn burner (gap jumps and berms).  Masterpiece is short but fun and an easy climb back up to session.

I did take the Rich Drew Jump clinic.  It takes place in a park using the MTB hopper ramps.  The class lasted 4hrs 8-12 and everyone got a ton of reps on the different ramps.  It's not cheap (~380 w/ taxes) but I highly recommend it if you want coaching and lots of practice.

As far as restaurants go.  be aware that most of the restaurants in Bentonville are closed on Sunday's.  Last Sunday the choices were pretty much Peddler's Pub, Tavola, 8th street market or Tusk and Trotter (great brunch and bloody mary flights).  The speakeasy in the basement of Preacher's Son was pretty empty on Friday night but I had a great old fashioned there.  Most places are doing indoor and outdoor seating.  Oh and the bartender at Pressroom said that Monday's are even quieter than Sunday and did say there were a lot more options in Fayetteville on those days.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It was good. We've stayed in better Air BnB's but it was in a great location (J St and Central Ave.). We were super close to the entrance for Crystal Bridges, just up the street from 8th St. Marketplace and the new 8th St. Pumptrack, and a short drive (or ride) to Downtown. My parents were with us and not super in to the idea of eating out with large crowds yet, so we did a lot of take out but that's probably what we would have done anyway. The family loved the Sat. morning farmers market, and the North Forest Lights was one of the coolest things I've seen.

Saturday, I pretty much hit as much of Slaughter Pen as I could or wanted to. I made sure to hit the new stuff.
-Masterpiece is an industrial work of art. The first half of it including the trail surface itself is fabricated from iron; industrial chain links, giant spokes and nipples for the railing supports, metal grating for the trail surface shaped in to pump track-like rollers ending in an iron table top. This leads in to a dirt roller followed by a larger table top and then a dirt lip-to iron mesh tabled hip-jump with optional giant iron cog wall ride. It's amazing.
-Then FlowZone is the new progressive line down the power line easement that the upper part of Ozone used to be before heading south to the sewage treatment plant. The breeze was from the south that morning and the smell going up Ozone had me dry heaving any time I opened my mouth to take a breath. It was awful. Flowzone starts at the top by the Apartments with a rock slab drop to transition that they've decked the "gap" so that it's totally rollable which leads in to a nice sized table followed by a right handed berm. This sends you in to a fast paced rock garden and then a huge wooden platform roll-in. This sets you up to either a hip on the right side or a big roller on the left. Either way you gain ton of speed before step up to left turn back down another rock garden. The garden sends you in to a big sweeping righthand berm followed by another big roller and a bigger step up jump to the end. Take the old Ozone trail back to the top to session. I'm not a jumper but that trail is a blast. You get going SO fast.

Sunday, I rode from the house to make my way to Little Sugar. The freeway end between B'ville and Bellavista is under construction. So the paved path is closed. I had to ride the shoulder of the highway to make it up there. I started in at the Dairy Queen and started climbing up Tunnel Vision. At the first fork in the trail I chose to head counter-clockwise. The ENTIRE TRAIL is a flow trail. It's all machine cut with rollers, berms, optional jumps, and some massive mandatory gap jumps sprinkled in. Essentially the trail climbs from the bottom to a neighborhood road and then bombs the other side back to the bottom, rinse, repeat. It doesn't matter which direction you go CW or CCW, you're either climbing up a flow trail hoping no one is bombing down or you're the one bombing down. Climbing back up the rollers help make the climbs not as bad, but the whole system as the locals claim has the most elevation change of any trail in the NWA area. My legs were shredded when I got back to the house (I didn't do the whole thing). I could see 40miles of it getting a little tiresome as it's kind of the same trail features over and over (at least the part I rode).

Monday morning on our way home we hit the Runway Bike Park for the kids. They love it and I love the pump track there.

• Like 2

Glad you got tickets to the show. Make sure you take your time at each one. Each installation has a cycle that repeats about every 5-7 min. I didn’t spend enough time in the first one.

Also, get tickets now if you plan on visiting the museum. They have an Ansel Adam’s exhibit there right now that we missed because we waited too long. Really disappointed we missed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Browndog said:

With all the “paved” berms? That is Choo Choo in Slaughter Pen.

Cool,, My son is really wanting to ride with me and wants ANYTHING curvy and without the chunkage of Cen Tex. That looks like he would love it. 

31 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Cool,, My son is really wanting to ride with me and wants ANYTHING curvy and without the chunkage of Cen Tex. That looks like he would love it. 

Closer to home Flat Rock Ranch's newish green loop may work out for family friendly rides as well. Much of it is machine or hits the easier bits of the XC loop.

• Like 1

He’ll love All American in Slaughter Pen. All very smooth with tons of little bonus features throughout (kickers, rock bridges, wooden things, etc).

14 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Choo choo does have a substance on the berms that feels paved. It's pretty nice because it doesn't have loose dirt. Leopard Loop is a much smaller trail with treated berms (hell, the whole trail may be treated.) It's super fun and non-intimidating. Your son would probably like it.  It's located at the corners of Tiger Blvd, NW A street, and NW Leopard Lane.  We use it as a connector to get to Tristan's Trail--which s also super fun.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Definitely hit up Blackbird at the north end of Slaughter Pen Phase 1. Don't let the signage scare you. There are no mandatory gaps, everything is smooth and flowy with the exception of one section that is a big berm made of flat rocks.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

Definitely hit up Blackbird at the north end of Slaughter Pen Phase 1. Don't let the signage scare you. There are no mandatory gaps, everything is smooth and flowy with the exception of one section that is a big berm made of flat rocks.

Is this Blackbird? They were building this trail last year, near Medusa, did not have a name. Mandatory gap signs, no gaps encountered:

IMG_4754.thumb.JPG.6ebe5ae7e6e3968aa90f3c0eb8ce6414.JPG

• Like 1