IGNORED

Best McLeod for central Tx rocky soil

I am luck enough to now own some acreage outside of town and am looking to build some trails. My area has lots of shallow loose limestone and then some more solid areas, all on a nice slope. Think Thumper.

I'll pick up a standard pick ax, but was also thinking a McLeod would be good too. Is there a general preference around here? The Home Depot ones in the $40-60 range seem ok, Rouge seem beefier, but for twice the price.

26 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

This! ☝️

I avoid wooden handles. they always break. pick axes and mcleods with poly handles last exponentially longer. also make sure you get a pick axe with the long skinny nose pick and not that stupid Little Rock axe thing 

I have a McLeod but I don't use it much. What I use is my Pick Mattock and my boots way more efficiently. Get a Mattock with a wide blade. A Mattock can do just about everything a McLeod can do but a McLeod can't do what a Mattock can do. 

My son is sympathetic to my trail work "problem"(affliction?). He gave me an 8X8 dirt tamper for my birthday. lol. I hope this rain comes so I can put it to some good use on some new stuff.

29 minutes ago, TAF said:

If we come help, do we get to ride it with you?

Maybe...

My favorite trails are some unspoken trails near my house at 2222 and 360. That is the vibe I am going for here. It's got some elevation, so lots of long contour run goat trail with switchbacks is the plan. The two long lengths are about 1200ft. Over 30 ac I think I can get close to 4 miles out there without getting redundant. From this main SS friendly trail I hope to add Chutes and Ladder style drop downs, so you could connect the long stretches with a shorter more straight down path to get to the bottom with more excitement. 

image.thumb.png.6df3f912d760b8afc5fae6a3147a03c0.png

Once we get better bearings and more free time in Feb/March, I'll start marking trail. Then perhaps look for folks that want to drink beers and build trail. It's about 15 min from El Rancho Cima and is part of the Devils Backbone.

IMG_20191127_094239.jpg

IMG_20200102_133807.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

yeah, i got just the spot for you.  you like bench cutting? 😏

I'd love some pointers on cutting bench. The stuff out there at Cat Mountain looks similar to the kinda dirt/rock/dust I have to work with. Next time you are planning to be out cutting on a week day, let me know. I'm 5 min away. Also, have electric chainsaw, will travel.

4 hours ago, The Tip said:

I have a McLeod but I don't use it much. What I use is my Pick Mattock and my boots way more efficiently. Get a Mattock with a wide blade. A Mattock can do just about everything a McLeod can do but a McLeod can't do what a Mattock can do. 

Looks like there are two weights available 2-2.5# and 4-6#. Heavy or light?

They all seem to be in the 36" range.

5 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Looks like there are two weights available 2-2.5# and 4-6#. Heavy or light?

They all seem to be in the 36" range.

Heavy. That's what's wrong with a McLeod. They are too light. You want to take out a clump of vegetation, or a rock, or small cedar. You just keep chopping and chopping away at it with the McLeod. But the only effort in using the Mattock is having to raise it, but once you do and it comes down, the task is done.

And speaking of bench cutting...Mattock. Enough said.

Edited by The Tip

1 hour ago, Bart said:

Ive been building a house in-between Boerne and Sisterdale for the last 3 months and drive thru Devils Backbone area daily. Everyday I think, omg if somebody had some of this land to build some kickass mtb trails on...

This fall Hays County approved a 13 million dollar bond to buy part (500 acres) of El Rancho Cima, the old Boy Scout Ranch.  The rest of the 2,300+ acres will be developed. 

Hundreds of Hill Country Acres to become parkland in $13M deal

20 minutes ago, June Bug said:

This fall Hays County approved a 13 million dollar bond to buy part (500 acres) of El Rancho Cima, the old Boy Scout Ranch.  The rest of the 2,300+ acres will be developed. 

Hundreds of Hill Country Acres to become parkland in $13M deal

I attended the city meeting about this. Sounds like there will be seasonal swimming access and use of existing trails only during non-mating seasons for the GCW. No new bike trails are in the plans.

On 1/9/2020 at 12:31 PM, The Tip said:

My son is sympathetic to my trail work "problem"(affliction?). He gave me an 8X8 dirt tamper for my birthday. lol. I hope this rain comes so I can put it to some good use on some new stuff.

I was able to get out this morning to use my gift. I've never used one before. I know it will be great for berms and such but I was surprised using it today how versatile it is. Tamper of course, but also is a pretty good substitute for a Mattock. Also pretty good rake, like a McLeod, and even was a pretty good sledge hammer. Very pleased.

Also pleased that there was enough rain to do some good getting a new trail packed in.