IGNORED

Rocky Hill Saloon taken out by squall

Ridenfool

What remained of the Saloon, which has been used as a pavilion and enclosed the bathroom and showers since the walls were removed and operation as Cafe/Saloon ceased, was taken down by the storm front moving through.

Driving by it looked like a heap of rubble, I'll get some pics at the next opportunity.

At a glance I suspect the bathrooms and infrastructure may be mostly okay under there, but the roof and its supports were blown toward the fence line behind the structure. Hopefully the facilities for hot water and such can be salvaged after cleanup.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Saw this on the FB somewhere last night.

RHR saloon down.jpg

I'd be down for supporting a fundraiser and barn-raising effort to get it back up and running. that thing was ancient!

Eh, I'd want to see a real concerted effort to build a new one before I would lift a finger. Can't believe that a new saloon would be a good idea based on the low traffic flow. If the old one couldn't make it, it's doubtful someone would try to build a new one.

In its current state (before destruction) it actually saw a fair amount of traffic. RHR and FR512 riders use the bathrooms and showers, as well as the deck area to hang out. During events, it also gets a lot of traffic. A new saloon wouldn't make sense, but a pavilion with bathrooms would. That's also the main intake area for submitting waivers and day fees. A small fundraiser may prod rebuilding, but I'm pretty sure Grey has insurance to cover this if he wants to rebuild it.

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Eh, I'd want to see a real concerted effort to build a new one before I would lift a finger. Can't believe that a new saloon would be a good idea based on the low traffic flow. If the old one couldn't make it, it's doubtful someone would try to build a new one.

FWIW, The Saloon was a viable business model with plenty of local and MTB patrons to keep the burgers and beer flowing, back when it was operating under experienced management working the plan.

What led to the demise was a succession of untenable contracts based on blue sky schemes with lessees lacking adequate business acumen to maintain the existing momentum. The next one after Diane didn't even want the MTB part of the business as part of their plan to make it a dedicated music venue, which is why Boomer's Bicycles stepped in securing a separate contract just to keep the trails open for us.  When their grandiose plans for an epic music destination did not bear fruit the axe finally fell and the burgers and beer stopped flowing.

The following lessee had even less ambition, experience, or resources and did little more than collect the rider's money, live in a trailer beside the saloon, and talk big talk about all they were going to do, and never did.

It wasn't so much that the Saloon failed, as it was that nobody after Diane left ever really embraced running the place with the whole recipe in play taking advantage of locals, riders, events, camping and all that goes with that as it had always worked.

As for the future, the slab has/had(?) studs when it was poured. The kind in all the places that would support erecting a conventional metal building. Despite this, it was originally constructed from trees sourced on property. As far as I know it ought to be reasonably straight forward to do something with it once the cleanup is done. I'd suspect that at the very least the restrooms/showers and the pay station would be covered again.

I very much miss that Saloon, and the diverse community that once thrived there.

But, yeah, I would not expect the site ever becoming a commercial venue where folks could gather for refreshment and camaraderie after a ride, and as a destination for locals, motorcyclists, and all others who used to frequent the place unless there were someone with vision and amazing negotiating skills able to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Thanks 3