IGNORED

TX roadtrip destinations

wncrider

Driving from western North Carolina to the Grand Canyon next week. I have done this trip several times and am really familiar with MTB destinations off I-40 but the weather is often pretty dicey at this time of year that far north. I have Trailforks and MTB project but there is only so much you can tell about an area from the apps. I am wondering if anyone can give me specific spots to check out on the way across relatively close to the I-20 and/or I-10 corridors? I'll have my bike, kayak, and can easily camp in the van at trailheads. I'm planning on checking out Big Bend NP and riding at least 1 day in the Austin area. Any specific rides that I should not miss at this time of year that y'all know of??? 

Along I-10 there are a few good places.   

-Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort is a fun ride.  A good bit of climbing with some tech mixed in if you do both loops.

- Big Bend Ranch SP - I'd say if you start at the parking next to the visitor center, go do the Dome Loop + Fresno Divide trail - it's about 22 miles.  Very remote with no cell coverage, so make sure you pack extra of what you think you'll need (also recommend a light jacket in the pack - weather changes fast sometimes)

El Paso has Franklin Mountains State Park - also a fun ride.  Quite a bit of climbing if you do the loop, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fontarin said:

- Big Bend Ranch SP - I'd say if you start at the parking next to the visitor center, go do the Dome Loop + Fresno Divide trail - it's about 22 miles.  Very remote with no cell coverage, so make sure you pack extra of what you think you'll need (also recommend a light jacket in the pack - weather changes fast sometimes)

Second this.

You can ride your bike in Big Bend National Park, but don't miss going west. fontarin has made a very good suggestion here.