IGNORED

Singlespeed creaking

AustinBike

I would just strip the bike down to the frame, leaving only the headset cups. I do this two my bikes about twice a year. Not very time-consuming if your workspace is organized. Deep clean all the nooks where dust works it's way in, true wheels, lube and thread-lock stuff, check for worn out bearings, etc.

A breakthrough of sorts. Pulled the wheel off and took the dropouts sliders out. Bad news: Kona does a proprietary slider, so the Paragon sliders from my other bike will not work. But in taking the slider apart I noticed the drive-side dropout was severely grooved (see pic below). My gut was telling me that the sound was coming from the dropout, so this could be the culprit.

I took a mini grinder and smoothed that down. I was also able to find an old 8-speed chain that fit it perfectly (the 9-speed chain was a little short and the slider was as far forward as possible so it was hitting the frame, not the adjustment screw.

If this fixes it then I will probably replace the dropout and get a new chain while I am at it (not a big fan of running multiple magic links on a chain that gets high torque on hills).

Anybody want to lay odds on the dropout being the problem? Ed, you were riding behind me and trying to listen so you had the best perspective.

IMG_5101.jpeg

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised, it did sound like it was coming from the rear wheel at times. I think you had too short of a chain which lead to the wheel not sitting in the dropout quite right or with too much chain tension. A longer chain with the wheel adjusted for correct tension. What is that rear hub, a cassette or a fruehewheel? The cog or freewheel seemed loose.