IGNORED

Bike thefts and 1up

AustinBike

With all of the bike thefts this week I started wondering about my bike. I use a 1up rack which is locked to the hitch. I also have the wheel locks that I use whenever I am not in sight of the bike. If I ever had to leave a bike overnight I also use a cable and padlock (but only leave cheap commuters overnight, not the expensive stuff.

Anyway, anyone know of someone that had a bike stolen off a 1-up where they were using the wheel locks?

I was thinking about that today. I bet an angle grinder would make short work of a one-up wheel lock, but (a) would make some noise, and (b) would likely slice off a spoke. Given that these thefts are high-end, I wonder if they might be wary of taking out a spoke.

7 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

The problem with wheel locks is you pull out the axle and just walk away with the frame and components. That backup cable takes less time to cut then unthreading the thru axles. All quick and quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do run a lock through my wheel locks to make it a bit harder:

1up_cabled_banner.jpg

That’s still a 1 minute theft, they’ve cut cables on both thefts lately. Snip, 5 seconds. Once you unthread the axle from both wheels, which is 15-20 seconds each, then just yank up on the frame leaving wheels still attached to the rack. Go buy a big fucking chain and good lock.

13 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

The problem with wheel locks is you pull out the axle and just walk away with the frame and components. That backup cable takes less time to cut then unthreading the thru axles. All quick and quiet.

I'm gonna argue that on a 1Up, this takes time. Those wheels are tightly cranked in there. Not impossible, but this current gang is whipping these bikes of racks in mere seconds. I wonder if they are going to risk it taking minutes. 

Lock it down. Then deflate the tire, you’ll see the extra wiggle room. Found this out on my T2 when my front wheel went flat while I was driving home once. Bike almost wobbled off the rack. I slap a cable on mine in transit as backup for it falling off.

15 years locking a bike downtown I’ve seen ever type of hitch rack defeated. Saw where they cut thru the aluminum tray on a roof rack to defeat a locking head. Stole this sweet colonago.

This came from a page on FB:

"

Bicycle Sport Shop-Bee Cave was broken into this am and 6 bikes were stolen. 2 thieves wearing jackets, bandannas, and gloves. Truck was an older style Toyota Tundra quad cab, silver or gray. License plates were removed but they did have distinctive (not oem) running boards on the truck and a generator in the back.

Bikes stolen were Specialized Chisel Medium frame in black, Specialized Chisel Medium frame in blue, Specialized chisel comp x1 black in large, Trek Marlin 5 black in Large, Specialized Rockhopper Comp Purple in Small, and a Specialized Chisel Comp Blue and pink in medium with gumwall tires.

Bikes should have signs of damage on them as they were thrown out the window and piled into the bed of the truck.

Any info please contact steve_j@bicyclesportshop.com or Officer Navarro at lnvarro@beecavetexas.gov"

They have a list of photos as well.

5 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Interesting.  They didn't go for the expensive stuff, probably figuring they could unload these easier?

Either that or they’re just idiots. I stopped by BSS 2 weeks ago and they had an sb150 and an sb100, not to mention the countless high end Treks, Santa Cruz’s and Specialized. 

7 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Interesting.  They didn't go for the expensive stuff, probably figuring they could unload these easier?

Saw the list and wondered that too.  I figure it's cause there's a ton more of those types of bikes out and easier to sell something for 500-800 without people asking questions. 

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Also someone had an $8K road bike stolen while I was in Pinthouse. I have witnesses and an alibi so don't even go there. Plus an expensive road bike would be wasted on me.

Your alibi would say that you were there at the exact time that the bike was stolen, and so was he/she/they! ha

This is Texas, have have these assholes not been shot?
I dont think you were on Mojo when he was doing his thing. He broke into homes and took bikes. People were in the houses.
The videos of him breaking in and stealing bikes were both amazing and very very scary.
He was eventually caught but if I recall is now out of prison.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

I dont think you were on Mojo when he was doing his thing. He broke into homes and took bikes. People were in the houses.
The videos of him breaking in and stealing bikes were both amazing and very very scary.
He was eventually caught but if I recall is now out of prison.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Damnit, I can't remember that assholes name. I know there was some Mojo'rs that got caught up in that whole deal if I remember correctly. Made friends in the bike community and then systematically robbed them all. 

3 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

Damnit, I can't remember that assholes name. I know there was some Mojo'rs that got caught up in that whole deal if I remember correctly. Made friends in the bike community and then systematically robbed them all. 

That guy is dead now. Heart attack if I recall.