IGNORED

Bike thefts and 1up

AustinBike

• 1 year later...

To answer the OP, yes it is quite easy to break the wheel locks and steal a bike off the 1-Up if the thieves are familiar with the system. It's a low risk but it's there!

Background: I was staying with my parents in a wealthy Bay Area suburb. Left a <$1000 old road bike and <$1000 old mountain bike on my quick rack at the top of a steep but short driveway facing and exposed to the street. Apparently thieves patrol the streets looking for easy targets and we saw them on security cameras spending about 10 minutes trying to steal the bikes. Fortunately, they did not succeed and finally got spooked off after they set off a second motion detector floodlight and presumably just because it was taking too long. However, the wheel lock took them about 15 seconds to clip with high strength bolt cutters (picture linked below). I believe the only thing that saved me is they did not know how to operate a 1-Up and release the tension on the wheel and they were operating at night without good lighting. They even loosened the quick release on my road bike wheel but did not figure out how to get either wheel free of the rack itself. Note, they tried to cut the second wheel lock but did not succeed as they made contact with the fatter head of the lock, which apparently is thick enough to at least be very difficult to cut with manual, lever-arm bolt cutters (more on this later related to the hitch lock).

So, most thieves will probably be fooled by the 1-Up ratcheted wheel clamping system but the wheel lock system itself doesn't do much to experienced bike thieves. I would argue it is only a deterrent to those who are familiar with the system and might otherwise pop your bikes off the rack -- think other bikes vs real thieves.

I will not be leaving my bikes on the rack again in an urban area nor will I ever leave the bike rack on the hitch without the lock that prevents access to the tightening hex----I do believe that lock is more secure than the wheel locks. Although they are the same material, there is no slack in the hitch lock and no space to squeeze bolt cutters into. Probably still possible to beak off but thieves would need a high powered tool and or a sledge hammer to break off the fat lock head AND they'd have to be very familiar with the system and have the loosening tool AND have to maneuver themselves into what is probably a somewhat difficult position between the bike rack and hitch and the ground. Seems unlikely unless they are have specialized to the point they are stealing 1-Ups regularly, although still very doable.

Broken wheel lock: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DurfiBvkMZRvioNqoy0dAITHVNeZ3sJ0/view?usp=drivesdk

Stay safe out there!

• Sad 1

Yeah, I lock my bike to my 1Up for two reasons

1. If I screwed up tensioning the bike rack, I'd rather it fall off and be dragged then end up in someone's windshield. 
  2. If I need to quickly pop into a store on my way home and I want to deter the "opportunist thief"

Look up lockpicking lawyer on YouTube, just about anything can be defeated. Just depends on how much time/ cover you give the thief.

• Like 3

This is our choice when we travel and have to leave car unattended for 1hr. Put that lock location as far under the car as you're willing to wedge yourself. Most wont have correct tools/time to defeat.   We usually just do the drive through and eat in car or ultimately the bikes stay inside hotel/rental. 

https://www.vulcanbrands.com/vulcan-security-chain-premium-case-hardened-3-8-inch-x-3-foot-chain-cannot-be-cut-with-bolt-cutters-or-hand-tools.html

Edited by ATXZJ

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

Yeah, I lock my bike to my 1Up for two reasons

1. If I screwed up tensioning the bike rack, I'd rather it fall off and be dragged then end up in someone's windshield. 
  2. If I need to quickly pop into a store on my way home and I want to deter the "opportunist thief"

Look up lockpicking lawyer on YouTube, just about anything can be defeated. Just depends on how much time/ cover you give the thief.

Yeah, I typically lock my bike if it is going to be traveling for any distance at highway speed. I use the 1-up locks for short durations like a beer after a ride and I am generally parking where I can see the car or it is gonna be real obvious to a lot of people passing by. But If I have to keep the bike on my car for a period of time or can't be around, I have a bigger lock in the back that I will use in addition to the wheel locks.