IGNORED

MTB Gear

Yosmithy

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Saw a singlespeed rider at WC with a full face on. Couldn't really understand that combo.

I had a slow speed crash on Windy Loop, and happened to hit my face/jaw on a log at the edge of the trail. Freak thing, but I wear fullface all the time now.

• Like 1

Just like the comments in the article, I think that both sides can be argued. The one time I face planted with a half-shell I broke my nose, but luckily it broke in a manner that fixed my deviated septum, something I suffered from my whole life. I've been counting my blessings ever since though, and if I'm practicing drops or jumps that take me out of my comfort zone, I'll wear a full-face. Likewise I wear a full-face if I'm doing gravity type riding. I'm still willing to take my chances with a half-shell for my every day rides and don't see that changing any time soon. I drink from a water bottle on most of my rides, and wouldn't want to stop and remove my helmet each time I need a drink. Also, my prescription sport goggles wrap around my ears, and it's a pain in the ass trying to get a full face on while keeping those in place. Of course if I end up smashing my face those will seem like lame excuses, but each of us just has to decide what chances they are willing to take. In this sport, depending partly on the trails you ride, serious injuries are a very real possibility regardless of the level of protection you choose.   

• Like 2

An old friend of mine knew a guy he raced crits with that wore a full face helmet. Said it looked bizarre but the guy was a dentist and wasn't taking any chances.

My buddy later had his face broken in a crit race.

On a MTB, it's hard enough for me to get motivated to ride when it's hot, much less doing so in a full face. The Kali looks promising as a good compromise. 

Had two helmets with detachable chinbars and I'd been better off just buying a full face.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

I knocked a couple teeth out several years ago while riding. At the time, I looked into what was on the market. The only one I could find was the MET Parachute, but it wasn't sold in the states. I never ended up trying one. (I do have a DH full face for lift days.) These trail focused full-face options are pretty cool. I'd love to hear some first hand reviews when summer time really starts putting the fall protection vs. heat stroke debate into focus.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 8:24 PM, The Tip said:

"Don’t forget that as with all Kali helmets, the Invader comes with a lifetime crash replacement policy. You crash it, we replace it.'

Is this a common helmet manufacturer policy? That's a big selling point.

Many of them have at least a 50% discount. Only had to use that discount once.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:53 AM, Chief said:

I've thought about a mouth guard on occasion to protect the teeth in an impact. The only problem for me with a mouth guard would be breathing I can't breathe through my nose well enough to get enough air. 

I don't have the balls to do jumps that get enough air.  Was not aware that was connected to my nose.

• Like 2