IGNORED

MTB Gear

Yosmithy

On 1/24/2020 at 12:54 AM, natas1321 said:

looking to try on a fox proframe and the kali invader to see how they both feel, is there someone around the area that carries both?

Were you able to find any locally? I have a Size L Proframe that you can try if you want. I've only used it a couple of times so it's not too grungy. Also, I still have the additional sets of snap-on sizing pads. It came with 3 sizes of pads and I settled for the middle size, which gives me a perfect fit.   

25 minutes ago, TheX said:

Soooper light, and very comfy. Hopefully I can sneak out tomorrow morning to test ride it. The neighbor is going to come spend time with my wife, I need a break from care-giving. Just for a couple hours.

new-kali-inv.thumb.jpg.740d10183835287de0d0ff29511a0f52.jpg

can you please snap a pic of the inside?

20 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Have a Spider mountain & Arkansas DH trip planned in a couple of weeks and thinking about picking up some upper body protection. Any experience with the Alpine stars stuff?

This one seems to offer the best bang for the buck and some decent ventilation as well.

https://www.alpinestars.com/bionic-pro-protection-jacket

Ventilation looks much better than the 2005 version that I have.  Cannot recommend them enough as I tested it many times off-road MC racing, and never had any issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Thanks for the feedback. My buddy, who crashes a lot, says the split chest design isn't the best as it leaves the sternum somewhat vulnerable. Dunno, the solid plate stuff is gonna be warm but might be worth it.

https://troyleedesigns.com/products/7855-protective-ls-shirt-black

I have the short sleeve version of that that I use for my MX riding.  I think its worth mentioning that the armor in this design IS NOT rigid.  Its all a firm foam material bound by the vented compression shirt form.  IMHO I don't think it would negate the (perceived) deficiencies from your split chest option linked further above.  

I've yet to field test the impact absorption of my setup.  And I have worn it a few times while riding lift-serve, but I do think that it may not be as effective as full plastic armoring.  https://troyleedesigns.com/collections/protection/products/5900-chest-protector-white

If you or anyone else would like to try it on and look it over, ya'll are welcome to do so.

Later,
CJB

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Any experience with the Alpine stars stuff?

No Experience with the specific jacket you linked but in my moto days a lot of my gear was was Alpinestars and it was all fantastic stuff. Fantastic in that, it lasted well, fit well and took crashes like a champ. I am very confident that it saved me from several broken bones. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Escapee said:

I'm looking at picking up the Dainese Rhyolite 2 jacket.  The arms unzip to convert to a vest too.  It unzips in the front so I can get out when it's soaking wet.

How does that AS Bionic feel for side/rib protection?

That's going to be hot. I wore Dainese kangaroo leather on the Ducati, but doing those speeds allowed cooling air to flow. Slow speeds are going to be brutal. It looks like the A-stars has better ventilation.

28 minutes ago, notyal said:

Has anyone tried the G-Form? https://g-form.com/padded-compression-shirt

Obviously less protection than the others mentioned here, but better than the alternative of nothing. I like their knee and elbow pads.

Interesting but not much coverage there.  It's pricey but on the Moto I've used Forcefield armor and it worked great the couple of crashes I've had on the track.  The armor is soft so it forms to the body.

image.thumb.png.e68bfcadd39a52208632c3d159aa136f.png