IGNORED

New Products on The Market...

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Derail- before you buy spokes, measure your rim ERD yourself. Measure 3 times to be certain. Measure the hubs yourself. Use a spoke calculator of course, but don't trust manufacturer claims about size.

(I have been burned when I calculated spoke length for some WTB rims and the spokes came up 2mm too short. WTBs rim dimensions were off and WTB confirmed that their data was wrong.)

+1  Same here.  In my case I had spokes that were too long.  ARGHH!

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I bought some American Classic valve stems. Superior design, uses o-rings, flange on the inside so you can't rip the rubber gasket off. Much cheaper that the titanium ones above. Aluminum is certainly strong enough for this application.

https://amclassic.com/index.php/tubeless-parts/tubeless-valve-pair.html

I had one of those fail on the trail.  As a matter of fact, it happened to be in the SATN.  I went to add air, and it just ripped off.  I'm very good about not putting a lot of force on the stems when I have to pump them up with the compact pump.  On analysis once I got home, you can see the stem is super thin, and made of aluminum, so it's very weak.  I have stuck with the standard Stan's stems since then.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2020 at 6:26 PM, RidingAgain said:

Just came across this little titanium beauty... Thought it might be a good start for a thread on new products being launched.

Terske Titanium Valve Stems...

https://bikepacking.com/gear/lindarets-terske-titanium-tubeless-valve-stems/?fbclid=IwAR2Q6sFcBaSyYArdoi1rLKk9NZgZsl199cB-tcLEn2ZMLiJiJTsZ77vuc-A

traben-equipment-titanium-valves-30-960x640.jpg

If only they made shrader stems in titanium,

They would be such a great stocking stuffer for all of he children’s Walmart bikes!!

5 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Hijack- there's nothing wrong with schraeder valves. The idea that presta seals better is BS. The only reason we use presta is a holdover from roadie narrow rims.

I tend to agree, I just like having a single type across all of my bikes.

Schraeder has a spring to keep the valve sealed while Presta uses air as the spring then has a way to lock this out.

Both of these items are probably a non-issue on MTBs, but I'd be curious if they were ever a concern:

1. Amount of force to overcome spring + tire pressure when inflating a Schrader vs a Presta only needing to overcome the tire pressure.
  2. At high wheel velocities, is it possible for the centripetal acceleration to open a Schraeder valve?  At bicycle speeds, this is not likely, but at automobile/motorcycle racing speeds, this is a concern and hence why people use caps on them.  With presta you can lockout the valve and not need a cap.  I'm surprised there aren't alternatives to the Schraeder in the motor racing world.
  • Like 1

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/this-is-why-its-time-to-stop-using-presta-valves/

"As far as air retention, it comes down to the tube or the tubeless set up more so than the valve. “Both (valves) test similarly on air retention assessments,” according to Maxxis’ Brown."

There's nothing superior about presta. The fears about that system are silly folk wisdom and memetic inertia.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2