IGNORED

Something to do on a rainy day

throet

A continuation of @Bamwa's cold night thread, which by now has been long forgotten along with those cold nights. It was a great thread though and now we have an opportunity to share music or other interests during these rainy days ahead. I'll start from one Ohioan to another - have you seen or heard of this phenom from Ohio?

• 3 weeks later...
Will the rain ever end? Is it always this rainy in the months it's cool enough to ride. I'm starting to really question moving here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I honestly don't think its rained this much since since 2007.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Schrute said:

I honestly don't think its rained this much since 2007.

Downright depressing! I don't recall ever seeing anything like this in the 12 years I've been here. I wasn't mountain biking in 2007 though; so maybe I just didn't notice. It does seem that in the time I've lived here the levels of humidity have shifted from being semi-arid to subtropical. That's coming from somebody who lived in Houston for 20 years prior though; so maybe it just seemed semi-arid to me initially.   

2 hours ago, Jessica said:

Will the rain ever end? Is it always this rainy in the months it's cool enough to ride. I'm starting to really question moving here.

Other than May and June, October is the rainiest month in Austin.  But we still get several months with no snow, no heat and awesome weather.  With this much rain right now, the wildflowers are going to be epic in March and April next year.

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/texas/united-states/3213

• Like 3

On October 13, 2018 at 9:42 AM, Schrute said:

I honestly don't think its rained this much since since 2007.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yep, I remember that well.  It was the year we launched the True Fab website and we were trying to get a photo shoot done in the spring.  We kept having to cancel because it rained for what seemed like a month or more straight (sometime April-May).  When the rain finally let up, the water was raging over the dam near HOL.  I had a friend get swept over and into the water below, bike and all.

That being said, October'ish is usually a wetter time of the season.  My wife was recalling a few ACL's that have had much rain.  And I commented that thru the years of the EB, we've had some rain issues.  Early on we pushed it back to a rain date at least once.  Then a few years ago (14or 15') it was canceled, and then this year is in peril IMHO.

To me the biggest difference with our most recent wet pattern is that its been spotty rain.  The kind that pops us inconsistently due to an unstable atmosphere weather pattern.  Normally, our rain is bigger "waves" of front/storms blowing through.  It feels more like Seattle right now.

Later,
CJB

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CBaron said:

To me the biggest difference with our most recent wet pattern is that its been spotty rain.  The kind that pops us inconsistently due to an unstable atmosphere weather pattern.

Exactly, and while still a bummer, this irregular pattern has at least offered windows of opportunity. For me it has been a blessing to not be working during this time, which has at least afforded me the opportunity to sneak in 18 trail rides in Sep-Oct when conditions permitted. By the looks of things now though, I'll be lucky to break 20 by the end of this month. The good news is that we still have Nov-Apr to enjoy some great riding before the sweltering heat returns.   

Edited by throet
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally broke down and got something that I can ride on the road. Love the staff at BSS, unlike other shop I visited, they never talk me out of what feels right. I feel like a kid before Christmas waiting to ride her this afternoon!!!!!!!e8620aff8c321d36bf2f0b50847c37b1.jpg89c632bb7733e11dfb19b2986b88f80e.jpgb4707a3639b9cd4788bd1a00b7fdf15e.jpg

• Like 3