IGNORED

The first sign of the apocalypse

2 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

This is not unique to e-bikes.  Those same two turds would have done the same thing on any bike.  I know that you know that but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Very true. The fact they were e-bikes gave us a little extra *F-U*.

• Haha 1

The one I saw was on the greenbelt. I had gotten to something that I could not climb (too technical) and had dismounted. This idiot came barreling through right past me. Pretty sure that if he didn't have the engine he'd be walking it as well. No warning, just pushed through and almost knocked me over.

8 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

The one I saw was on the greenbelt. I had gotten to something that I could not climb (too technical) and had dismounted. This idiot came barreling through right past me. Pretty sure that if he didn't have the engine he'd be walking it as well. No warning, just pushed through and almost knocked me over.

That deserves a punch in the throat.

I was at WCPT and there was a guy out there for a few minutes super pleased with himself on his Turbo Levo.  The rest of us were all looking at each other like whuuuuu.

Another weekend I was playing on the step up at WCPT and a different guy on a Turbo decided it was a good idea to roll into it too.  He got his front tire just to the top of the step up and that's about when he stopped, turtled and went all the way back down.  It was glorious. We were all 😑 nobody moved.

• Like 2

I understand e-mtbs for people who have unsurmountable physical limitations, and e-bikes for utilitarian purposes like commuting for work and grocery hauling. I don't understand able-bodied athletes using overly expensive, complex equipment. I like to run and workout at a gym, and I don't see people running in shoes equipped with electric servos to go faster or lifters doing deadlifts with hydraulic leg braces so they can lift more. It's kind of cool that these kind of toys exist, but I can't help feeling like Huxley's John Savage when I see one, wanting to flog certain riders while shouting "impudent strumpet!" 

• Like 2

I have seen quite a few e bikes at Walnut, always thought that was a strange place for them, especially on the pump track. Figured they were just renting them and only knew of Walnut. But yeah these were able bodied people and were using them to haul ass, totally want to call them out, but I guess they were outside and off their phones?

• Like 2

I don't care if their bike has batteries and a motor or not, it's the rider that will make it a problem if they so choose.  You will find assholes on single speed fixies, DH bikes, DJ bikes, and e-bikes.  However, you will also find cool people just trying to get out and enjoy being outside.  I'd rather share the trails with an e-mtbiker that didn't buzz little kids or yell at ladies with dogs than a strava driven turd that wanted to pedal his way to internet pseudo fame.

As for the pump track, it's definitely not an ideal place for e-bikes but as long as he's respectful to the trail and fellow riders, I don't see why not.  Show him how to pick up a shovel and watering can because the 'no dig, no ride' policy applies to all.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I understand e-mtbs for people who have unsurmountable physical limitations, and e-bikes for utilitarian purposes like commuting for work and grocery hauling. I don't understand able-bodied athletes using overly expensive, complex equipment. I like to run and workout at a gym, and I don't see people running in shoes equipped with electric servos to go faster or lifters doing deadlifts with hydraulic leg braces so they can lift more. It's kind of cool that these kind of toys exist, but I can't help feeling like Huxley's John Savage when I see one, wanting to flog certain riders while shouting "impudent strumpet!" 

The faction that is so anti e-bikes are transferring their motives for mountain biking onto to others. You don't know what motivates the able bodied buyers. Maybe they run 20 miles a week for exercise and the e-bike experience is just a pure joyful recreation thing. 

And as to your example of electric servos; does anyone here doubt that if there were such a thing they would sell faster than e-bikes? I don't.

I can think of lots of examples of technology making a sport easier. "Well in my day we HIKED to the top of the ski mountain to come down. Now these perfectly healthy people are using these damn lifts to get to the top. What sport is there in that!"

Not to mention hikers' disdain for mountain bikers. "Why do they need those contraptions to enjoy nature?"

I'm okay with e-bikes as they are now. No throttles, limited power. The Jeep thing scares me a bit. And I'll tell you young whipper snappers something. The older you get, and you start feeling the diminishing of your physical abilities, the more prone you will be to support e-biking. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I'm okay with e-bikes as they are now. No throttles, limited power. The Jeep thing scares me a bit. And I'll tell you young whipper snappers something. The older you get, and you start feeling the diminishing of your physical abilities, the more prone you will be to support e-biking. 

Agreed, and old age counts among the "unsurmountable physical limitations" I mentioned. Please don't misunderstand what I am talking about here. If you want to get outside and ride trails but your body just has no way to keep up by no fault of your own, enjoy an e-bike by all means!

I don't think it's morally wrong, I just don't get able-bodied people being such wussies. HTFU already. It's very Idiocracy-ish to me.

Oddly, I am certain that performance-boosting tech exists for other athletic/ outdoor activities, but for some reason it's on the fringes compared to mountain biking's embrace of these things. 

I can think of a ton of examples of activities that shun this sort of thing. Can you imagine young, able-bodied adults using a battery-powered winch to climb cliffs in BCGB? Your local swimming pool with competitive swimmers using chest-mounted electric motors to swim laps faster? Otherwise fit runners on Ladybird Lake doing laps with spring-loaded moonshoes? No, because those markets have not openly embraced techno-doping pussydom.

That's right, I said it and I won't apologize. Pussies!

Edited by mack_turtle

We were riding peddlers pass sunday and got to the multiple burm/roller secions and were moving pretty fast. I hear somebody come up on my wheel saying they want to get by and i thought, where the hell did he come from(?)

We let him by only to see a middle aged, not in shape guy on an ebike, complete with coilspring shock......lolz

• Like 2
  • Sad 1