IGNORED

The first sign of the apocalypse

18 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Tyr and Speedo swimsuits and the new Nike Marathon record* breaking shoes are things they have, will, or may ban.  But that’s not even close to a motor.  

Technology being applied. Good example.

There's a counter argument to every "shun technology" example.

1936 Olympics:

howell_matilda_032416_800x375.jpg?la=en&

2016 Olympics

01-Mackenzie-Brown-Photo-Credit-World-Ar

45 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I’ve always wanted to try one!

When I was lined up to race Cat 3 at the Bike&Brew in Leavenworth, WA, there was a guy lined up next to me on a MTB Unicycle. Of course most everybody passed him quickly; so I think he was out to just prove a point. I kept wondering though how the hell he handled the 3-4 mil steep descent at the end of the route! 

31 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Technology being applied. Good example.

There's a counter argument to every "shun technology" example.

1936 Olympics:

2016 Olympics

I'd actually say your comparison is not applicable to e-bikes. More accurate:

1936 Olympic Archery = 1980's Mt. Bike

2016 Olympic Archery = 2016 Mt. Bike

Chewbaca's  Bow Caster = eBike

All of them will get the job done, but they are admittedly different.

Episode 7 I Like This Thing GIF by Star Wars

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, throet said:

When I was lined up to race Cat 3 at the Bike&Brew in Leavenworth, WA, there was a guy lined up next to me on a MTB Unicycle. Of course most everybody passed him quickly; so I think he was out to just prove a point. I kept wondering though how the hell he handled the 3-4 mil steep descent at the end of the route! 

I'm sure it's going to be a steep learning curve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

The older you get, and you start feeling the diminishing of your physical abilities, the more prone you will be to support e-biking. 

Personally I'm too proud to ever consider riding one, even at 61. I also can't see them being nearly as playful for the type of riding I like to do. Not sure how I might feel at 70 (God willing), but because of my competitive nature, more than likely I'll just give up riding at some point and try to get good at golf (with cart of course).

When I hired a guide for a ride in CA, he was half my age and riding an eMTB. To me that was a great application though. He was just trying to make some money, intentionally stayed behind me most of the time, and was carrying a lot of extra stuff in case we needed it. No telling how many rides he did that day or on what sort of bike.  

Edited by throet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

Agreed, and old age counts among the "unsurmountable physical limitations" I mentioned. Please don't misunderstand what I am talking about here. If you want to get outside and ride trails but your body just has no way to keep up by no fault of your own, enjoy an e-bike by all means!

I don't think it's morally wrong, I just don't get able-bodied people being such wussies. HTFU already. It's very Idiocracy-ish to me.

Oddly, I am certain that performance-boosting tech exists for other athletic/ outdoor activities, but for some reason it's on the fringes compared to mountain biking's embrace of these things. 

I can think of a ton of examples of activities that shun this sort of thing. Can you imagine young, able-bodied adults using a battery-powered winch to climb cliffs in BCGB? Your local swimming pool with competitive swimmers using chest-mounted electric motors to swim laps faster? Otherwise fit runners on Ladybird Lake doing laps with spring-loaded moonshoes? No, because those markets have not openly embraced techno-doping pussydom.

That's right, I said it and I won't apologize. Pussies!

I think there is a huge difference between your examples of running, swimming, and weight lifting vs. mountain biking. The enjoyment of the first examples is found in the act of doing those things, nothing else. You don't lift a heavy weight over your head because it is so much fun putting back on the floor. With mountain biking (granted, there is enjoyment to be found in climbing a big hill for some), the payoff is going down the big hill. Making the hard part easier to enjoy more of the fun part is pretty tempting. 

9 minutes ago, notyal said:

The enjoyment of the first examples is found in the act of doing those things, nothing else. 

Entirely subjective, 100% false for many people. Weight lifting is a poor example that I used, but I don't go trail running because I like the act of running. I do it for the same reasons I enjoy mountain biking- enjoying the outdoors in a way that challenges me and takes my mind off daily BS. Put me in the woods with just my running shoes (and some sort of pants, don't get excited!) and I'll run for two hours. Put me on a treadmill and I'll hop off after ten minutes or the current episode of The Office concludes, whichever comes first.

Payoff for going downhill: also subjective. Climbing is fun too. Anerobic exertion is euphoric. If you disagree, my opinion is that you might be a wussy. I've never had any interest whatsoever in going to a bike park. Spider Mountain? Meh, sounds boring. Do they have an uphill route? I might be into that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mack_turtle said:

Payoff for going downhill: also subjective. Climbing is fun too. Anerobic exertion is euphoric. If you disagree, my opinion is that you might be a wussy. I've never had any interest whatsoever in going to a bike park. Spider Mountain? Meh, sounds boring. Do they have an uphill route? I might be into that.

Have a buddy like you. Went to moab and did captain ahab on his rigid SS. Why, ill never know but thats what makes him happy.

Took him to the lift bike park in NM a month later and he broke his leg within 5 minutes of riding.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Entirely subjective, 100% false for many people. Weight lifting is a poor example that I used, but I don't go trail running because I like the act of running. I do it for the same reasons I enjoy mountain biking- enjoying the outdoors in a way that challenges me and takes my mind off daily BS. Put me in the woods with just my running shoes (and some sort of pants, don't get excited!) and I'll run for two hours. Put me on a treadmill and I'll hop off after ten minutes or the current episode of The Office concludes, whichever comes first.

That's cool. I'm not trying to tell you how to feel about your choice of recreation. I trail run. I lift weights. I enjoy a good climb on my MTB. I enjoy those things for the same reasons you pointed out.

I'm just saying that there is an inherent reward for suffering through a climb on a  mountain  bike that doesn't exist in those other activities. If there was such a parallel, they'd be putting in ski lifts for downhill trail runners. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

My interests are very similar to yours but I wouldn't go so far as to call somebody who only enjoys downhill a wuss. Extended downhill runs are extremely strenuous when you're in an attack position (half squat) and working to control your bike the whole way down. Still, like you I do enjoy earning those descents.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Have a buddy like you. Went to moab and did captain ahab on his rigid SS. Why, ill never know but thats what makes him happy.

Took him to the lift bike park in NM a month later and he broke his leg within 5 minutes of riding.

He probably enjoys anal also🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, throet said:

My interests are very similar to yours but I wouldn't go so far as to call somebody who only enjoys downhill a wuss. Extended downhill runs are extremely strenuous when you're in an attack position (half squat) and working to control your bike the whole way down. Still, like you I do enjoy earning those descents.  

That's my limited experience as well when going to really long downhills.

12 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

If more mountain bikers took up trail running, I am certain that would be a thing.

Except, in my opinion (just came in from a 4.5mi trail run), running downhill is a lot harder on your legs.  So for runners, I'd say, uphill runs would be the fun part, then slides on the way down....weeeeeeeeeeee!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Admitted: I'd run up Enchanted Rock if that was required to slide back down. That would definitely take a toll on the aesthetics though.

I am a hopeless romantic when it comes to aeseticism, but I think of what Chuck Palanuik had to say about bulldozing challenges and risks, even the ones we create for no reason other than to overcome them, like putting a motor on a recreational bicycle:

"People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe, organized place. nobody realized how boring it would become. with the whole world property-lined and speed-limited and zoned and taxed and regulated, with everyone tested and registered and addressed and recorded. nobody had left much room for adventure, except maybe the kind you could buy. on a roller coaster. at a movie. still, it would always be that kind of faux excitement. you know the dinosaurs aren't going to eat the kids. the test audiences have outvoted any chance of even a major faux disaster. and because there's no possibility of real disaster, real risk, we're left with no chance for real salvation. real elation. real excitement. Joy. Discovery. Invention.

the laws that keep us safe, these same laws condemn us to boredom.

without access to true chaos, we'll never have true peace."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Admitted: I'd run up Enchanted Rock if that was required to slide back down. That would definitely take a toll on the aesthetics though.

I am a hopeless romantic when it comes to aeseticism, but I think of what Chuck Palanuik had to say about bulldozing challenges and risks, even the ones we create for no reason other than to overcome them, like putting a motor on a recreational bicycle:

"People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe, organized place. nobody realized how boring it would become. with the whole world property-lined and speed-limited and zoned and taxed and regulated, with everyone tested and registered and addressed and recorded. nobody had left much room for adventure, except maybe the kind you could buy. on a roller coaster. at a movie. still, it would always be that kind of faux excitement. you know the dinosaurs aren't going to eat the kids. the test audiences have outvoted any chance of even a major faux disaster. and because there's no possibility of real disaster, real risk, we're left with no chance for real salvation. real elation. real excitement. Joy. Discovery. Invention.

the laws that keep us safe, these same laws condemn us to boredom.

without access to true chaos, we'll never have true peace."

At least we have this within close reach 🤣

Fastest Road in America: 85 MPH
https://www.cnbc.com/id/49520151