IGNORED

The first sign of the apocalypse

11 hours ago, Sluggo said:

Winner of the pro class at the last RPR race did the same. He won both the acoustic and ebike class. 

Ebikes are going the way of front suspension, rear suspension, big wheels, tubeless, droppers, 1x drivetrains...

If you're fast, you're fast.

I'm not fast.

We're doing a tour this spring with Western Spirit Cycling Adventures.  I want to see south central Utah  up close without the headache of putting together an itinerary and planning out gas, food, water for a long trip in a remote area.

Nothing challenging, lots of gravel grinding, rough two-track roads and some pavement.  Just checking the website, I noticed this spring there is an e-bike option for the trip we booked.   This is the kind of trip where an e bike will allow riders of different fitness levels to participate; however, those who bring e-bikes will be charged $45/day extra. 

Wondering if they'll have to schlep along a generator to charge the e-bikes for the three nights we'll be camping away from electricity.  Most of these outfits have big racks and transport bikes on the roof of a van; that's not possible with e bikes -- too heavy. 

Edited by June Bug

Just now, June Bug said:

Wondering if they'll have to schlep along a generator to charge the e-bikes for the three nights we'll be camping away from electricity.  Most of these outfits have big racks and transport bikes on the roof of a van; that's not possible with e bikes -- too heavy.

That could be interesting. Half of the riders might have to eat the other half to keep going, rather than lug around e-bikes with dead batteries.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

That could be interesting. Half of the riders might have to eat the other half to keep going, rather than lug around e-bikes with dead batteries.

I just got visions of a post-apocalyptic dystopia where the robots cannibalize their e-bike brethren to reach the last remaining humans who are camped out in remote areas of Utah with their traditional pedal bikes. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, notyal said:

I just got visions of a post-apocalyptic dystopia where the robots cannibalize their e-bike brethren to reach the last remaining humans who are camped out in remote areas of Utah with their traditional pedal bikes. 

The Terminatike.

Edited by RidingAgain

8 hours ago, notyal said:

This scenario was not mentioned in Western Spirit Cycling Adventure's tour description, or, in fact, anywhere on their website.  I'm going to practice saying, "I welcome our new robot overlords!" just in case. 

8 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Mash up of  Andes Survivors + Mad Max 2020 pedal edition! 

Edited by June Bug

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

June Bug brings up an interesting point about tours. I can see where ebikes could be an interesting option for tours, but if one person has a tech failure and their 45 pound bike slows down the whole group, I could see some real issues springing up. I wonder how they deal with that.

Same result as if someone's electronic shifter has tech issues. You are left with a bike that you can still pedal but with a stiff penalty. What could be worse? How about if a non-tech component like a wheel blows up and the bike is completely un-ridable. 

Charging on a multi-day tour is a good question. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 12:04 PM, June Bug said:

We're doing a tour this spring with Western Spirit Cycling Adventures.  I want to see south central Utah  up close without the headache of putting together an itinerary and planning out gas, food, water for a long trip in a remote area.

Nothing challenging, lots of gravel grinding, rough two-track roads and some pavement.  Just checking the website, I noticed this spring there is an e-bike option for the trip we booked.   This is the kind of trip where an e bike will allow riders of different fitness to participate; however, those who bring e-bikes will be charged $45/day extra. 

How many miles is the tour?

13 hours ago, Sluggo said:

How many miles is the tour?

It varies by day and each day usually has a combination of riding and hiking; max riding option is 35 miles on the longest day; the shortest day is 10 miles.  Mr. JB prefers riding to hiking, and they've assured us that he can pedal some extra miles. Itinerary here.  It's considered a beginner friendly tour. 

We'll meet the tour van in Hanksville, rather than Moab. 

Big Detour Thread Drift and NOT E-BIKE RELATED CONTENT!  A few years ago we went to a little bike festival put on by local mountain bikers in the Castle Dale area of Utah; festival central was the Wedge Overlook to the Little Grand Canyon of the San Rafael River, the start of the Goodwater Rim Trail.   The MECCA club (Mostly Emory County Cycling Association) is a totally homegrown club that sprang up in the middle of nowhere, Utah,  when a few folks in each little community discovered that they all like to mountain bike.  The founding member, the late and very jovial Lamar Guymon, was the Castle Dale sheriff for many years.

The small but very well organized fest had a subtle wholesome and very friendly vibe; I saw no beer at any time and there was zero carousing.  It wasn't prohibited or even mentioned;  these folks are, I assume, all Mormons or Mormon adjacent. They are very good at sociable and mellow.  

Anyway,  the MECCA fall festival is at the Wedge Overlook, the spring festival is based in Green River, Utah.  The timing is such that we can do the Green River festival on Friday, Sat, Sun, head to Hanksville and maybe ride at Goblin Valley State Park on the way, then meet the tour van on Monday in Hanksville.  Win win.  

Anyway, I thought I'd throw out the MECCA bike fest because it would be a great event for families with kids or just a fun relaxing interlude. 

bikepacking.com has a route in south central Utah that's a bit north of where we'll be.  Stone House Lands Loop   Water caches are  highly recommended. 

One thing to consider relative to mileage is that there is elevation (our tour route is 5,000 to 8,000 ft elevation) and lots and LOTS of cumulative elevation on some of these roads.  

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 4:21 AM, AustinBike said:

June Bug brings up an interesting point about tours. I can see where ebikes could be an interesting option for tours, but if one person has a tech failure and their 45 pound bike slows down the whole group, I could see some real issues springing up. I wonder how they deal with that.

How about the tour where the 300 lb rider bonks on the 10 mile day. Nobody wants to tow him and his bike up any of the climbs. MTBF for some of these kind of riders is less than an hour.

I think the answer to the bonked rider and the dead ebike and the dead pedal bike is the same - sag wagons. I think sag wagons are required on any of these kind of tours.

2 hours ago, June Bug said:

It varies by day and each day usually has a combination of riding and hiking; max riding option is 35 miles on the longest day; the shortest day is 10 miles.  Mr. JB prefers riding to hiking, and they've assured us that he can pedal some extra miles. Itinerary here.  It's considered a beginner friendly tour. 

We'll meet the tour van in Hanksville, rather than Moab. 

Big Detour Thread Drift and NOT E-BIKE RELATED CONTENT!  A few years ago we went to a little bike festival put on by local mountain bikers in the Castle Dale area of Utah; festival central was the Wedge Overlook to the Little Grand Canyon of the San Rafael River, the start of the Goodwater Rim Trail.   The MECCA club (Mostly Emory County Cycling Association) is a totally homegrown club that sprang up in the middle of nowhere, Utah,  when a few folks in each little community discovered that they all like to mountain bike.  The founding member, the late and very jovial Lamar Guymon, was the Castle Dale sheriff for many years.

The small but very well organized fest had a subtle wholesome and very friendly vibe; I saw no beer at any time and there was zero carousing.  It wasn't prohibited or even mentioned;  these folks are, I assume, all Mormons or Mormon adjacent. They are very good at sociable and mellow.  

Anyway,  the MECCA fall festival is at the Wedge Overlook, the spring festival is based in Green River, Utah.  The timing is such that we can do the Green River festival on Friday, Sat, Sun, head to Hanksville and maybe ride at Goblin Valley State Park on the way, then meet the tour van on Monday in Hanksville.  Win win.  

Anyway, I thought I'd throw out the MECCA bike fest because it would be a great event for families with kids or just a fun relaxing interlude. 

bikepacking.com has a route in south central Utah that's a bit north of where we'll be.  Stone House Lands Loop   Water caches are  highly recommended. 

One thing to consider relative to mileage is that there is elevation (our tour route is 5,000 to 8,000 ft elevation) and lots and LOTS of cumulative elevation on some of these roads.  

Sounds like Mr. JB is damn lucky to have such an awesome riding partner.

• Like 1