IGNORED

The first sign of the apocalypse

19 hours ago, cxagent said:

How about the tour where the 300 lb rider bonks on the 10 mile day. Nobody wants to tow him and his bike up any of the climbs. MTBF for some of these kind of riders is less than an hour.

I think the answer to the bonked rider and the dead ebike and the dead pedal bike is the same - sag wagons. I think sag wagons are required on any of these kind of tours.

Molly once told me "there's no f------ sag wagon" about 80 miles into our 100 mile SS ride. I asked her to leave me for dead at that point on the SWCT in the 95F+ heat. I miss riding with her.

7 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Molly once told me "there's no f------ sag wagon" about 80 miles into our 100 mile SS ride. I asked her to leave me for dead at that point on the SWCT in the 95F+ heat. I miss riding with her.

Nothing like that motivational speech to get you back on your bike and moving.

Personally I like the approach of "Until you are dead - get back on your bike. You can rest when you really are dead."

5 hours ago, Escapee said:

MTBF is arguably the same for humans+current gen equipment. I think L10 is remarkably different. Infant mortality is probably different too. Just a guess.

My experience is that some humans have an MTBF that is MUCH shorter than I want to ride. I don't ride with those humans very often. They generally don't like riding with me either.

And my bike will make many many many of my length rides before any failure. Of course - YMMV.

42 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

If my JOB was to ride a bicycle, you bet it would have a motor. As I understand it, the days of pedicabbers using full manual bikes are long-gone as well. They all have motors.

On that note, I know someone who works for Rad Power Bikes, and they are hiring.

I would think that pedicabs would choose manual instead of electric because there are probably bigger tips when they see you huffing and puffing. If you are just cruising along like a scooter I bet the tip ratio drops considerably.

13 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I would think that pedicabs would choose manual instead of electric because there are probably bigger tips when they see you huffing and puffing. If you are just cruising along like a scooter I bet the tip ratio drops considerably.

Shoot... This is Austin... They could fake it.

I saw one in Bentonville last week. I have to say that after blasting down some amazing trails and ending up at the bottom of a valley, with only one gear to get me back up, the thought of having a motor help me get back to the top was appealing. Of course, if I had a motor, would I have enjoyed the downhills as much? Probably, yes. Would I have got as good a workout? No way IMO. Would I have ridden more trail? Probably.

However, it’s not always about riding more trail. To me it’s about enjoying the trail I’m riding more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

It's also much more of an authentic experience if you bring your own whip.

• Like 1

Yuka's videos are always fun. In this particular situation, it sounds like the e-mtb was not ideal: small rider, technical trails up and down. It sounds like the weight was a major liability for her. I wonder if a rider like her could adapt to using it full time, though.

MOST riders would have a hard time wrangling a 50+ pound bike over that kind of terrain and maintaining control over the bike when gravity is also helping. As the weight comes down on these, it will become more manageable. I am kind of cynical but I see that creating a ton of bikes that will be useless in a few years because no one will want anything to do with bikes that heavy. Hopefully they can at least be repurposed as commuters or retrofitted with the lighter replacement batteries and motors.

Edited by mack_turtle

54 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Hopefully they can at least be repurposed as commuters or retrofitted with the lighter replacement batteries and motors.

Even once useful planes are eventually discarded...

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/british-airways-concorde-plane-heathrow-16836227

Edited by RidingAgain