IGNORED

The first sign of the apocalypse

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

But do you enjoy pedaling?

Do you enjoy living in central Texas? I know everyone has their non-bike reasons for living here, but it sounds like you're stuck in the wrong place!

I went on a ride today specifically to look for difficult pedaling terrain. I can't get enough of it. The more rocks, switchbacks, and ledges, the better! An e-mtb would be a boring, expensive, laborious experience for me.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Do you enjoy living in central Texas? I know everyone has their non-bike reasons for living here, but it sounds like you're stuck in the wrong place!

From TX, and I like Austin so I make the best of the trails here. Having said that, once you've lived in the mountain west, flatlandia is a hard pill to swallow. 3 years till my youngest graduates and we're on the move again.

I have a buddy like you that loves techy climbing and the trails here. Does the worst of it in the middle of the summer, on a singlespeed. Total paincave freak. Took him down a lift trail In NM and he broke his leg within 5 minutes.  Different strokes. 

On the e-bike tip. When I was in Toronto they had a ton of e-bikes for commuters along the waterfront leading downtown. It was really cool to see and think thats where they are most useful. The fat dude running up behind me on peddlers with a coilsprung e-peen....notsomuch. 

edit. forgodssakeitspedalingnotpeddling

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

I have a buddy like you that loves techy climbing and the trails here. Does the worst of it in the middle of the summer, on a singlespeed. Total paincave freak. Took him down a lift trail In NM and he broke his leg within 5 minutes.  Different strokes. 

sounds like something I would do. I have zero interest in anything that involves wearing body armor, riding something with a motor to the trailhead (of course unless I have to drive a car several miles of highway to get there. gotta have time to ride the trails, not just to the trails), or that sort of thing. I've only had a vague, passing interest in owning a full suspension bike, and tried a few times to enjoy having more than one gear on my bike. it never stuck.

when I was younger, I rode BMX and gravitated to the flatland discipline while most of my friends were trying to huck themselves across 20-foot doubles (I helped dig though). the last time tried to clear a box jump, I nearly broke my ankle and had to use crutches for a week.

mountain biking covers a diverse set of interests and goals, which is why I cringe at the notion that "no one likes pedaling" or "everyone" wants the latest in every conceivable technology to avoid a challenge and is willing to sell a kidney to get there.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Total paincave freak.

That's me!  I think there's something a little wrong with everyone, maybe more than one thing, this is one thing that could be said is "wrong" with me.  I don't know why I keep doing things that put me in the pain cave.  I think the common theme with riding up hill and riding hard things is the feeling of perseverance.  Same with riding on an awful rainy and super cold day.  I've read that people up north get that feeling of putting up with winter.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

That's me!  I think there's something a little wrong with everyone, maybe more than one thing, this is one thing that could be said is "wrong" with me.  I don't know why I keep doing things that put me in the pain cave.  I think the common theme with riding up hill and riding hard things is the feeling of perseverance.  Same with riding on an awful rainy and super cold day.  I've read that people up north get that feeling of putting up with winter.  

There's some truth to this^

We all take a trip to the cave but in different ways. Mine as of late usually involves ragdolling down a hillside🤣

Wife and I are similar when it comes to hobbies. When something becomes work, and not fun, we usually walk away. 

Yes I can also say waking up at 5am to shovel your sidewalks and driveway only to come home at 6-7pm to do it all over again, builds resolve.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

But do you enjoy pedaling?

Like i said, I don't mind grinding a fireroad to get to the top of a good flow/DH run. I am however, not into some of the anti-flow stuff here. After visiting two shuttle/lift DH parks last month, it's hard to go back to switchback/switchback/switchback/ledge/ledge/switchback/ledge climbs again. An E-bike wont overcome that monotony either. 

On enjoying or not enjoying pedaling... Honestly, I never thought about it... I simply accepted that it was a part of riding a bicycle.

On a trip to Arkansas, when I had to ride up some rather large mountains it was a bit of an effort to do so, and I was certainly bitching about it, but not because of the pedaling, but because of my lack of fitness.

And I fully understand that it's a grind to go uphill... Much like when I surfed it was a grind to head back out if you fell and got dragged inside. But you just did your best to paddle back out. I can't say that I ever thought I needed something that helped me not have to paddle out.

1 minute ago, Barry said:

I stopped at the beginning when he said an ebike "definitely allows you to do more riding." Uh, no. The limited range is my primary disappointment with the concept. 

I stopped when I saw "THE BIG QUESTION: MTB OR EMTB". Never been a question at all for me. 

3 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

On enjoying or not enjoying pedaling... Honestly, I never thought about it... I simply accepted that it was a part of riding a bicycle.

On a trip to Arkansas, when I had to ride up some rather large mountains it was a bit of an effort to do so, and I was certainly bitching about it, but not because of the pedaling, but because of my lack of fitness.

And I fully understand that it's a grind to go uphill... Much like when I surfed it was a grind to head back out if you fell and got dragged inside. But you just did your best to paddle back out. I can't say that I ever thought I needed something that helped me not have to paddle out.

That's strange, we drove an extra hour and used a shuttle service.