IGNORED

The first sign of the apocalypse

8 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Things get more Intense...

There's ugly and there's ugly, and then there's this. Yikes. And the "MX" branding with a dual crown fork? That's just...hilarious. I'll give it to them, that's good trolling. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barry said:

There's ugly and there's ugly, and then there's this. Yikes. And the "MX" branding with a dual crown fork? That's just...hilarious. I'll give it to them, that's good trolling. 

All I had to see was ohlins and 2.8 rear. What a fucking mess that bike is.

I really wish intense would get their shit together, and stop acting like the drunk uncle of bikes.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I pointed out to my wife that e-bikes have limited batteries. If nothing stops me, I'd never go riding for less than fourhours at a time because I don't have to worry about a battery running out. My battery runs out when I don't shove enough snacks in my pockets. An e-mtb would shorten those rides by quite a bit.

Suddenly, my wife is interested in buying me an e-mtb.

Edited by mack_turtle

• 1 month later...

I’ve been seeing more and more of these Electric “bicycles” around town that don’t require any pedaling.  They look like smaller townies and may be folding bikes.  I looked for similar ones online and they seem to range from $400-1000.  The people I’ve seen riding them are not pedaling.  Has anyone else noticed this trend?

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I’ve been seeing more and more of these Electric “bicycles” around town that don’t require any pedaling.  They look like smaller townies and may be folding bikes.  I looked for similar ones online and they seem to range from $400-1000.  The people I’ve seen riding them are not pedaling.  Has anyone else noticed this trend?

Yes. They seem to be popular in EU and CA as well. If it gets people out of cars, I'm down. 

Edited by ATXZJ

I don't think this is getting people out of cars.  It's people in our neighborhood riding this for fun, not exercise.  More people are walking, but I also see more people on these electric scooters (they are not bikes if they work with just the throttle IMO) and more people on their golf carts.  I think the golf carts to use as a neighborhood transportation device are cool. I mostly see them used as this.  I did see a dude on an e-bike (pedaling) with his HEB shopping bag leaving the parking lot, which is cool.  I've seen these scooters on the trail too SATN and Roy G. parks.

One of my golfing buddies, who is 67 (OLD guy!), told me he is going to buy a RadWagon ebike. He owned a motorcycle for most of his life but doesn't anymore. He said he misses riding and being outdoors and that this would be a good substitute. He thinks he will go to the store with it too. So that will save a car trip. And it will also make one more citizen that is concerned about bike lanes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 8:07 AM, AntonioGG said:

In the '80s we called those mopeds

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I was out on the BCGB this morning and as I was coming up the hill to the 360 lot I got stopped by a guy. Wanted to know how to "get back to town".

I was giving him directions and he said he hopes there were no rock gardens. He was on a pretty beefy YT bike. Then I noticed the battery. His buddy was at the top of the hill and he was waiting for him. When I got up to the top I saw his buddy on an e-bike as well. With a rack on the back and a kickstand. He was trying to ride a commuter ebike on the GB, which is probably why they were having problems.

I pointed them to 360 and told them how to take the streets back into town. They are better off riding on the streets at that point.

So that, in a nutshell, is one of my prime issues with ebikes - they allow people to get way in over their heads by making them believe that the electric motor is gonna somehow overcompensate for lack of experience or skills. This is not the first group I've encountered on the greenbelt in over their heads. One of the groups commented that they thought this would be a lot easier because of the motors, but these just are not motorcycles.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 12:55 PM, The Tip said:

One of my golfing buddies, who is 67 (OLD guy!), told me he is going to buy a RadWagon ebike. He owned a motorcycle for most of his life but doesn't anymore. He said he misses riding and being outdoors and that this would be a good substitute. He thinks he will go to the store with it too. So that will save a car trip. And it will also make one more citizen that is concerned about bike lanes. 

Speaking of old guys, we ran into a couple of mountain bikers on trails outside of Pagosa Springs yesterday.  They were in the middle of a significantly bigger ride than us.  One was from Austin who said he was almost 70.  The other was a local and he is 75.  I’m about to turn 64 tomorrow but it sure helps to see people out there doing big stuff even older than me!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AustinBike said:

So that, in a nutshell, is one of my prime issues with ebikes - they allow people to get way in over their heads by making them believe that the electric motor is gonna somehow overcompensate for lack of experience or skills.

Well said. in the end, those riders are responsible for knowing their limits and researching trails before they go. I suppose it's subjective, but I'll need to pay attention to how these are marketed, but I will be cognizant of whether they convey that idea to customers. are there examples of advertising that might make riders think that the motor will make up for a lack of skill? perhaps.

likewise, a really nice, sharp knife does not make you a chef and might in fact lead to a loss of a finger. a fast car does not turn you into a race driver, and might in fact result in soaring into a ravine to your death.

Edited by mack_turtle