IGNORED

The first sign of the apocalypse

On 10/18/2021 at 10:19 AM, olddbrider said:

I know ebikes are still not allowed on federal land, but I feel like "vast majority" is a stretch - especially in a state like TX where many of the trails are on private property.

Here's a fun test:

1. Go to trail forks and look up trails with the activity "MTB"

2. Change the activity to "e-Bike"

Observe the difference. One has a dozen or two trails, one has none. That is a pretty good definition of "vast majority".

No city parks. No state parks. We have no nearby national parks. It would only be private property and while you claim there are many trails on private property, a.) how many miles of public vs. private are there, and b.) how often do people ride on public vs. private? I ride public trails 3-4 times a week and ride on private property only every 2-3 months or so.

5 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I ride public trails 3-4 times a week and ride on private property only every 2-3 months or so.

ย 

6 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Here's a fun test:

1. Go to trail forks and look up trails with the activity "MTB"

2. Change the activity to "e-Bike"

Observe the difference. One has a dozen or two trails, one has none. That is a pretty good definition of "vast majority".

I ride public trails 3-4 times a week and ride on private property only every 2-3 months or so.

To your first point, I think it depends greatly on where you look. If you zoom in on Burnet or Boerne I'm guessing you might find more miles of trail open to ebikes. Sure, if you focus on Austin you won't see much because the trail networks are primarily located in city/county parks.

I don't ride as much as you, but mine would be closer to a 50/50 split between public and private trails. I typically do a mid-week ride in town on public trails (Brushy, Ninja, Walnut, Lakeway) and a weekend ride on private trails (Spider, RPR, Flat Creek, Flat Rock, etc.).

My riding these days is less about miles and more about smiles. Riding downhill makes me happy, so I'd rather do more of that. That's why I'm at Spider just about every other weekend. At places without a lift, an ebike would give me the opportunity to double the number of laps on any given day. Again, I don't have one. But I see their place and I am definitely not ruling out the possibility of owning one in the future. I resisted dropper posts for a long time. Hopefully, I've learned from that experience...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

I watch Jared Graves on an ebike and I think, who am i to judgeโ€ฆโ€ฆ.

Cheers,

Shaner

True but he's sponsored by yeti , who recently released an e-bike. I take that kind of stuff about as seriously as I do pro riders drinking energy drinks.ย 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shanerpvt said:

Iโ€™m pretty sure at this point that dude can ride whatever he wants.

Fair enough but know, I'm not arguing with you about Jared graves. I don't care about Jared Graves. He's a spokesperson for a company, and is promoting their products. That has no influence on my decision making of whether or not to buy an e-bike, or anything else.

When I'm shit and can't ride a regular bike, I'll consider an e-bike. But again, where exactly in flatlandia are these things necessary?

Edited by ATXZJ

5 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

When I'm shit and can't ride a regular bike, I'll consider an e-bike. But again, where exactly in flatlandia are these things necessary?

You can make the same argument for suspension, gears, etc., etc. Even if you are a 21 y/o in the peak of your athletic performance and have more fun riding an eMTB than a regular one, I say, go have fun young man. Ride the bike that you have the most fun riding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, notyal said:

You can make the same argument for suspension, gears, etc., etc. Even if you are a 21 y/o in the peak of your athletic performance and have more fun riding an eMTB than a regular one, I say, go have fun young man. Ride the bike that you have the most fun riding.

*mojo mode*

still, I would want to ask such a young man, "why are you such a wussy? ride a real bike, you entitled, participation trophy-expecting little bitch."

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

*mojo mode*

still, I would want to ask such a young man, "why are you such a wussy? ride a real bike, you entitled, participation trophy-expecting little bitch."

Then, I would post 20 extreme close-up pictures of anuses. Man, MoJo was wild.ย 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, notyal said:

Exactly.

You pussy whippersnappers with your gears, and suspension, and fancy "new-matic" tires!

When I was young we rode bikes with no gears. We didn't even have chains. And we had wooden wheels. Most of those weren't even really round! We just pushed ourselves around with our feet, with our wheels going thump thump, all the time the iron seat jackhammering our ass...AND WE LOVED IT!ย ย 

Y'all should just use helicopters to get around the trails if you don't like real biking.

grumpy-dana-carvey.gif

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Y'all should just use helicopters to get around the trails if you don't like real biking.

no doubt, if self-riding bikes that never fall over and clear everything were available, a few people, including able-bodied young people, would buy them. this generation of people who have everything handed to them without even getting a college degreeโ€”you know, the boomersโ€”don't believe in hard work and sacrifice toward goals. they want bikes that ride for them!

who are accusing of using gears?

JK

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Haha 1

In the end, the discussion of e-bikes not a matter of moral dick measuring for me. If you're able bodied and want one, fine.ย 

Where I get frustrated was how they were originally marketed vs what's happening now. It's obvious that the industry had a direction they wanted to take bikes, and this is it. Trails/shared use be damned.

ย 

I can imagine the mark-up is also pretty good, comparatively.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

In the end, the discussion of e-bikes not a matter of moral dick measuring for me. If you're able bodied and want one, fine.ย 

Where I get frustrated was how they were originally marketed vs what's happening now. It's obvious that the industry had a direction they wanted to take bikes, and this is it. I can imagine the mark-up is also pretty good, comparatively.

what they said: "these are bikes for getting up mountains and to help people with physical limitations ride places they could never ride before."

what they meant: "these bikes are for brap bros who don't give a shit about trail etiquette, but we'll gladly take their money."

I'm OK with being a crotchety retrogrouch about this. I can't do anything to stop it, but I can point out that it's absurd.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

what they meant: "these bikes are for brap bros who don't give a shit about trail etiquette, but we'll gladly take their money."

Your post is true, but the brap bros you speak of don't need an ebike to be dicks about trail etiquette.

• Like 3