IGNORED

How & Why Santa Cruz Made an E-Bike

TheX

They are 2 years too late on this one. The "we wanted it playful" statement is just an excuse for design constraints trying to shove a motor in the BB and make it all fit with the new VPP. A 29" would probably have stupid long chainstays so they stuck with 27.5 . Not to mention when this was being designed, 27.5 was still hot shit.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

That video seemed really uncomfortable. Almost like someone was off camera glaring at them to "sell this idea". I love BIKE's article this morning, Santa Cruz Introduces its First E-Bike, the Heckler. - Say it ain't so...

It's almost like there were the money hungry companies that first jumped on the idea to make E-bikes. Then there are now the companies that were surprised at the appeal of them and are now afraid if they don't offer an e-bike, that they'll be left behind. I thought Santa Cruz was rare in that I thought they looked at the e-bike market and said, "Have fun you guys, we'll be over here making kicka** bikes that people love." This seems now like they're scared of getting left behind.

At least they picked the perfect name.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Except for some of the niche use cases (i.e. people who HAVE to ride an e-bike because of physical limitations), e-bikes are a solution looking for a problem.

That "solution" is for people with deep pockets and, often times, no experience or respect for trails and maintaining access to them.

Then again, most inventions are solution we didn't know we needed. I laughed for years at people buying smart phones, yet here I am responding to this discussion on one.

What will happen when e-penises hit the mainstream market? Will we all buy one eventually? What will we do with the analog ones? Anyone else already feel obsolete?

(That's already a thing, I suppose. I am going to regret that comment.)

Edited by mack_turtle

41 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

That "solution" is for people with deep pockets and, often times, no experience or respect for trails and maintaining access to them.

Then again, most inventions are solution we didn't know we needed. I laughed for years at people buying smart phones, yet here I am responding to this discussion on one.

What will happen when e-penises hit the mainstream market? Will we all buy one eventually? What will we do with the analog ones? Anyone else already feel obsolete?

(That's already a thing, I suppose. I am going to regret that comment.)

The real money is in e-vaginas. This is not a joke.

Still believe the e bike will go the way of the 26"
I think companies are building them but that doesnt mean they will continue to sell.
Speaking of which.. I'm looking to sell my Betamax. Laser Disk and ipod. They were the latest greatest coolest at the time

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Speaking of Betamax, I'm giving away my HD DVD copy of "Grand Prix".  Never opened.

Haha I have a bunch of HD DVD movies stashed away somewhere. The old Toshiba player is laying in waste in the garage. Would be interesting to see if it could be revived with a firmware update. Then I'd only have to find the damn remote! 

17 minutes ago, throet said:

Haha I have a bunch of HD DVD movies stashed away somewhere. The old Toshiba player is laying in waste in the garage. Would be interesting to see if it could be revived with a firmware update. Then I'd only have to find the damn remote! 

That's the problem with e-penises, too. Lots of firmware updates. If your firmware takes longer than four hours to update, call your IT guy. 

• Haha 3