IGNORED

WTB: Specialized Hotrock 24”

Teamsloan

I’m looking for the next size up for my son. I’ve got a 26er frame that will someday be his but he’s not there yet. The Hotrock’s are a great base frame to build up lightweight youth bikes, but I’m open to anything that has some front suspension, disc tabs, and isn’t pink or purple. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Nice you got one with the disk tabs.  My son's didn't so he ended up with rim brakes on the back, and disk in the front.  Turned out to be a fairly light bike once I took all the heavy stuff.

I’m a few years away from my oldest outgrowing her 20”, but have been pondering what length/brand/ style cranks would you guys recommend upgrading with on a hot rock 24”? I imagine a huge weight reduction could be had here.

This might require a whole new thread topic, but...

The more research I do, the more I see people talking about how big a role crank arm length play in a kids performance on their bike. They may not even realize it themselves but the right size cranks can make a kid wear out too quickly, or make them fly.

For my kid (about 8YO) I'm looking in the 150-160mm length. These are either easy or hard to find depending on the preferred spindle. I'm trying to find a two piece crank that will work with external BSA cups and it's very hard to find them for under $100. I just paid $100 for the whole bike, so that's a tough pill to swallow. Now, if I was content with staying with a square taper BB then I have plenty of affordable options.

For now, the best I'm finding is a 160mm two piece crank with 104bcd for less than $100 and it includes the BB.

This summer I put some of these on my 10 yr olds bike: https://www.srsuntour.us/collections/cranks/products/zeron-1-x?variant=45338041742

They ticked all the boxes except weight (and ideally I'd like for them to be a tad shorter).  But all that said, the combined setup had a net loss of weight around 60 grams while reducing his crank arm length considerably.  But they are cheap, simple and ready to go...no finagling.

Later,
CJB

• Like 1