IGNORED

Jumps (or really big humps) at the start of Outer Log Loops at Walnut Creek?

I just did a few forum searches and even a Google search with site:austinmountainbiking.com and could find nothing on this subject; apologies if it has been discussed already.  Would appreciate a link if so.

There appear to be two new features at the beginning of WC OLL.  I would call them jumps.  The are right up front.  One is right by that first little drop and the other is right before that big sweeping right-hander after the hairpin left-hander, if memory serves.  Are these features sanctioned?  They both seem to be in rather sketchy places, and they are both JOUS for WC at least.  Seems like an accident waiting to happen, either a single-bike accident or a bike colliding with a terrestrian.  Or a dog.

Does anyone know about these things?

-cls

Well, what I call OLL starts to the north side of the pedestrian walkway, so it is between the walkway and Walnut Creek itself.  I hope those are the Outer Log Loops.  Maybe they are the Upper Log Loops?

Anyway, as you cross the walkway you are headed NW.  Then you turn right and head NE, down some "steps" with a lot of loose rock.  On the right-hand side of the trail is that little drop which is basically a big rock you ride off of.  Right along in there is the first jump.  Then you do kind of a wide S-turn, right and then left, and head NE down towards the left-hand hairpin, which flips you 180* so you are headed SW.  You climb just a bit (still going SW) and approach the beginning of the long, sweeping downhill right-hander.  At the beginning of this right-hander is the second jump.

I verified my directions from the PARD map.

-cls

Edited by MrTheCatLady
geography

CMC is having trouble logging on. So here is the official scoop on those jumps -

The jumps were approved and installed on an official work day. Someone has taken it on themselves to modify the first one by adding a kicker. That may still be happening (not confirmed by CMC or myself yet). There is more work planned on both jumps.

Both jumps were approved as "optional" since the rider can chose to ride/jump them or to bypass them since they are built off the side of the existing trail.

There is more info and even pictures on the Walnut Creek Mountain Biking Facebook page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cxagent said:

CMC is having trouble logging on. So here is the official scoop on those jumps -

The jumps were approved and installed on an official work day. Someone has taken it on themselves to modify the first one by adding a kicker. That may still be happening (not confirmed by CMC or myself yet). There is more work planned on both jumps.

Both jumps were approved as "optional" since the rider can chose to ride/jump them or to bypass them since they are built off the side of the existing trail.

There is more info and even pictures on the Walnut Creek Mountain Biking Facebook page.

Thanks, cxagent.  I'll have a look at that page.

-cls

I was part of the trail crew that worked with Cullen building that first feature. I can assure you that he is VERY cautious about what gets built out there and that it’s safe and fun for riders of all skill levels. In fact, he built up those features in phases to allow people time to get used to them and not surprise anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

I was part of the trail crew that worked with Cullen building that first feature. I can assure you that he is VERY cautious about what gets built out there and that it’s safe and fun for riders of all skill levels. In fact, he built up those features in phases to allow people time to get used to them and not surprise anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, thanks.  I've just started MTB'ing again after "Road Bike Winter" and hadn't gotten to see them go up in phases.

-cls

58 minutes ago, JRA said:

There's a "I'm a Huge Pussy Line" to the right. What's the problem?

That's part of why I love riding in Bentonville.  They've got some SIGNIFICANT trail features available to anyone out there while riding....or you can simply go-around it.  When comparing these new itty bitty additions at WC log loops to something like what's around NWA, you can definitely see a difference in the mentality regarding trail features, progression, and liability.

IMG-2370.jpghost image online

Later,
CJB

3 hours ago, CBaron said:

That's part of why I love riding in Bentonville.  They've got some SIGNIFICANT trail features available to anyone out there while riding....or you can simply go-around it.  When comparing these new itty bitty additions at WC log loops to something like what's around NWA, you can definitely see a difference in the mentality regarding trail features, progression, and liability.

IMG-2370.jpghost image online

Later,
CJB

Bentonville is another level and seem to play by different rules.  I ran into several signs like this over the weekend.  This was on a blue trail!  Turns out it wasn't actually a gap but it was definitely bigger than anything we'd ever get away with out at Walnut.

IMG_3758.jpg

This has been a concept I have had for a long time, and is the basis of what we're doing on the Outer Log Loops:  a log feature where there is dirt up, logs in the middle, and dirt down.  You can optionally go slower and ride the logs, go faster and skim them, or pull up and jump them.    

On the first one (at the beginning of Outer Log Loops), we spent one 3-hour Austin Ridge Rider work day cutting and gathering logs, then another ARR work day building it (Jan 19):  https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=467776887228151&id=278952176110624
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=464574400881733&id=278952176110624

We intend on making more upgrades (like more dirt on the right side of the logs to hold them solid.   (The little dirt kicker that was added to the top left side was an unauthorized addition, and I've had several conversations with the guy who added it. I'm going to re-do it further to the left, but not tearing what he did down until that time).  

There are also plans to improve the second one (after the 180 berm). So, basically, both will get upgraded to version 2.0.   (The drawing says 3 feet tall, but right now, they're only about 2 feet tall).  (The drawing has two features back-to-back, but on Outer Log, it's just a single feature.)

--Cullen

Austin Ridge Riders, Trail Steward, Walnut Creek Park

p4pb14478009.jpg

Edited by cmc4130
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Part of where I got the idea from was Keystone Bike Park back in 2011. They have a lot of features built with cut tree logs, and the logs get exposed, either intentionally or not. 

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/68-dh-urban-trials-bmx-dirt-jumping/90258-vail-keystone-winter-park.html#post1044056

5920748344_e5b3d6022f_b.jpg

I don't know where this photo was taken (from the Internet), but these are the size and straightness of logs that we'd ideally be using. 

James_clearing_the_giant_log_pile_at_Leb

Here's an indoor version at Ray's in Cleveland (although slightly different, with logs on the up and middle). 

the_wheel_mill_pittsburgh.jpg

Here's a  flat ground version, but it shows the idea of jumping them.

Burn242006Chad.jpg

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/14-austin-voodoo/95383-walnut-creek-wednesday-workday-june-19-a-2.html

• Like 4