IGNORED

Jumps (or really big humps) at the start of Outer Log Loops at Walnut Creek?

49 minutes ago, Morris said:

I love that new feature. Looks like the left side won’t have a lip for a better launch anymore or is it just the pic?

The picture is right. The left side is quite a bit flatter than before. Still launchable, but certainly not a significant lip. 

4 minutes ago, Owen said:

So, who do we work with to get a bit more of this flow on the SATN? I know folks will be all protective of their manky rock gardens, but surely there are a few trails that could handle a bit more flow and pop? 

It's kinda easier to manage when you get your fill of the same 12 miles. But when you have 90+ miles of trail over most of southern Austin, I mean, where do you begin? It seams like the Meridian Bowl was the first answer to that question, but then then it got shut down for additional trail modifications. Perhaps somewhere on Slaughter Creek between Bauere or Mary More Parks? 

51 minutes ago, Owen said:

So, who do we work with to get a bit more of this flow on the SATN? I know folks will be all protective of their manky rock gardens, but surely there are a few trails that could handle a bit more flow and pop? 

I live for manky rock gardens!

I like this idea. The only way to get it to happen and stay that way is to work with the land managers for permission. Since 95% of SATN is de facto public trail and not actual park land, there are few places to do this. There is at least one place I can think of, rather hidden for good reason, that has "features". 

Anyone have ideas?

1 hour ago, Owen said:

Here we go again?  Reimers gonna need help on the return trail soon looks like.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Barry said:

It seems like the Meridian Bowl ... got shut down for additional trail modifications. 

Just to clarify to everyone, you mean there will be no more additions to that (wonderful) little trail system (for now), not that it is shut down for use. I panicked a bit when I first read your post!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Owen said:

What do you mean by "flow?"  I would say that the SATN is mostly flow now.  Lots of non-rocky flow.

Interesting that you ask about flow right below posts about that log feature. Do you mean more features?

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

What do you mean by "flow?"  I would say that the SATN is mostly flow now.  Lots of non-rocky flow.

Interesting that you ask about flow right below posts about that log feature. Do you mean more features?

Inner and outer log loops are close to flow trails. Flow trails have features you can pump and pop, with less tech and peddling. I wouldn't call SATN flow, and I don't think that it needs to be, but I think a few spots could use more 3-dimensionality. I think parts of Phoenix, for instance, could use some fast berms and rollers, and it wouldn't impact the slow techy tree gate stretches people 'round here like.

IMBA: "Flow Trails take mountain bikers on a terrain-induced roller coaster experience, with little pedaling and braking necessary. This style of trail typically contains features like banked turns, rolling terrain, various types of jumps, and consistent and predictable surfaces. Conspicuously absent are abrupt corners or unforeseen obstacles."

• Like 1

@ Owen, Around here is is frowned upon to take on any trail mods that are not cleared by the land owners whomever they may be. Perhaps you are more of a technical rider than many of us who are xc riders am to pro.

If you are ready for kickers over gaps and backflips I suggest you get in with Freeride 512. They have a course at RockyHill Ranch, Cat Mtn and now Wilco somewhere and can always use shovel help. Not only that they can point you to Spider Mtn and Bandara also as places you may enjoy working and/or riding. Good luck finding your stoke.

1 minute ago, Bamwa said:

@ Owen, Around here is is frowned upon to take on any trail mods that are not cleared by the land owners whomever they may be. Perhaps you are more of a technical rider than many of us who are xc riders am to pro.

If you are ready for kickers over gaps and backflips I suggest you get in with Freeride 512. They have a course at RockyHill Ranch, Cat Mtn and now Wilco somewhere and can always use shovel help. Not only that they can point you to Spider Mtn and Bandara also as places you may enjoy working and/or riding. Good luck finding your stoke.

Oh, I'm hardly a freerider! And I'm not promoting trail mods, just pointing out that it would be fun to have some more walnut-esque features scattered about town, which is why my original question was about who to contact about trail work on the south side, as these are now my local trails. 

In regards to the SATN,  and considering the land ownership that most of it is on, it's hard to argue to the "powers that be" that a deer built that wood jump.  I think it sends up red flags. 

And Owen, welcome to the SATN. Have you joined us on a Tuesday for Crank and Drank yet?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheX said:

It's posted earlier in the thread, I normally enter at the red triangle.

log-loop.thumb.png.88bc6bedb23747e4801a6976bd422672.png

You enter in the direction of the red triangle?

For me below is the normal way.  From the NWCT in either direction start where your arrow is but going the other way, then up the hill, and turn where the blue arrow is.  From NWCT coming from Metric, I start at the blue arrow.  One thing a bit confusing about the map, it's missing the new connector.    I drew it in a squiggly red line below.

I have done the whole park "backwards" more than 10 years ago...probably closer to 15 years ago when there was less traffic.  The guys at work would call it backward Tuesdays or something or other.

image.thumb.png.8f7e70aa2e032bcf064772b8df588b82.png

53 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

That's something I've never actually asked.  What's is outer and what is inner?  I considered the one highlighted to be outer:

image.thumb.png.01c77e35a10e7972511c223c7215d92d.png

That's what I consider outer. The bottom right is where I normally start. Not anymore though.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 9:16 PM, TheX said:

So, did it backwards for the first time today. It's awesome. How the hell did I never ride it that direction before?

Those couple of hip jumps have been there for a while. They didn't clue you in that the other direction was going to be better?