IGNORED

Lajitas/Big Bend

St.Bernardo

When Desert Sports took their ball and went home I said that it wouldn't take much of anything to continue the event in some form. A gas station down there could have said, "It's still on" and done nothing towards an event, and folks would have made the trek for it. I really can't believe that some merchant down there did not do this. You just know the area benefited from Desert Fest economically. 

5 hours ago, The Tip said:

When Desert Sports took their ball and went home I said that it wouldn't take much of anything to continue the event in some form. A gas station down there could have said, "It's still on" and done nothing towards an event, and folks would have made the trek for it. I really can't believe that some merchant down there did not do this. You just know the area benefited from Desert Fest economically. 

I'm fairly sure the new management at the RV park did not want the DesertFest crowd back - I think it upset a good number of the year-rounders.

35 minutes ago, TAF said:

I'm fairly sure the new management at the RV park did not want the DesertFest crowd back - I think it upset a good number of the year-rounders.

That sounds as plausible an answer as any I've heard. Alternatively though couldn't they have just held the actual events off the RV site? 

• Like 1

I mentioned the festival cancelation to the Richardson Bike shop folks at Hotter than Hell when the news had just come out.  The guy I talked to was the Richardson Bike event coordinator and the cancellation was news to him.  He thought I was joking.   He did say that they would work to find other sponsors.   Guess they didn't have any luck with that.

Then someone else involved in the event mentioned that the other businesses in Terlingua weren't able (or capable) of planning\coordinating the event.  

Texas parks and wildlife released an article soon after the cancellation and expressed a desire to continue having the event.  But they needed another sponsor to step up.

I personally think that the Ghost Town vandalism that occurred on the last day of the event had something to do with the cancellation.   That and the organizers had no way of controlling the number of folks who showed up.

Was not aware that Peddler had something out there.   I would have probably attended. 

I'd definitely be up for going next year if some other folks are going as well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Tip said:

You just know the area benefited from Desert Fest economically. 

Every business from Study Butte to Lajitas benefited from having around 500 people show up for three to four days, spending money on lodging, gas, food.  The state park gets entry fees, people like the park and tell other people about it.  Win win.  Really an awesome thing.  It was too bad that so many people showed up to mooch off of everyone's hard work and ended it for everyone.  The RV park was full and lodging in Lajitas was probably close to 100% occupancy, so I don't know why they wouldn't be interested in finding sponsors. 

I think Desert Sports folks are getting old and tired.  I've always had the impression that Desert Sports is a shoestring operation and the logistics of putting on the fest are daunting.  They've put a huge amount of effort into building up the trail system and the event and I personally don't think they got much financial benefit for all that they put into it.  

Really do hope they'll bring it back for 2021. 

Lots of folks have been going out to the desert on President's Day weekend since the early race days in the 90s.   People went the year after the marathon race ended and before Desertfest was born.

The organizer of the Ultra Run they have every out there is trying to put something together.  He was not able to get it permitted in time for this year.  He hosted some group rides and a "hospitality barn" at Big Bend Resort and Adventures this year over the weekend.   The website is bigbendbikefest.com.  You can get on his email list to get updates.  

The trails are open year round, pick some dates and go.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barry said:

That sounds as plausible an answer as any I've heard. Alternatively though couldn't they have just held the actual events off the RV site? 

It wasn’t the events, so much as ‘year rounders’ being forced to up and move their massive rigs for a week, because they hadn’t been told the campsite was fully booked for that week. It’s hard to find anyplace else out there with a functioning toilet, let alone power, water and a laundry.

My family is going down there during spring break in a couple of weeks. It’s pretty booked. I know it’s not the week we’re talking about here, but it is the area’s best season. Maybe they all just decided that they don’t need to host a festival to bring in the tourists.

On 2/26/2020 at 2:04 PM, sugarNspice said:

I was there last week with some folks from Houston, San Antonio, & other areas. We all used to go to Dirt Fest. Now we just plan an annual trip around this time. 🙂

Another fun trip!  From the rides to the wedding, Boquillas and the hot springs on my birthday, and from Starlight to the Pedraza House, I had a stellar time.  I can't count how many times I've been in February  but remember my first trip in 1998. 

• Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 9:26 AM, The Tip said:

I believe the stated reason DesertFest is no more is that the emergency services said that they could not support such a large event.  Even though they capped registration, they couldn't stop people from coming to the desert and riding the trails.  The area couldn't support so many people.