IGNORED

Suburban Ninja

I havent ridden SN in about 3 weeks or so and went out for a quickie last evening. So any reason why the section on the east side of the main trail, the section that's had the large pile of rocks in the shape of a triangle at its entrance.. the rocks were all gone. The bridge was gone . There was brush blocking a bit of the trail. Still not entirely blocked but someone made quite an effort to dissuade riding. I saw something from AJ about someone who has gone out of their way blocking the trails.

Curious minds want to know.

The random half assed blocking in other sections is not pleasant

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I noticed that the rocks were missing but I thought the bridge just washed away.  I've pulled it upstream once before but I couldn't find it last time I was out there.  With respect to the random blocking and bullsh^t, some people live to build, some people live to tear down.  I know which people I'd rather hang out with but I recognize that there are douche bags out there that don't want anyone having fun on 'their' slice of heaven.  I enjoy that little section so if I see something blocking the trail, I'll assume some deer accidentally dragged it there and gently move it off the trail so he won't have to mess with it again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

Local homeowner is a MTB hater. It'll be us against them till someone gives up. Same old story with most of the trails in the area.

This is why us riders need to be extra patient and courteous to trail users not on bikes. If we act like they don’t belong on our trails, it never ends well for our sport. Unfortunately it takes a lot more work to build trails than to tear them apart. Sad to see things like this happening. I see a lot of people enjoying walks on SN as much we we enjoy riding there. Can’t see why any anyone would hate us riding out there unless some of us have been acting like dicks to “hikers”. 

• Like 2

I was out there Sunday and ran into a couple families out walking the trails. The sad part of this is that many times the hikers have the attitude that the trail is for them and not MTBers. I don't think that these people know or realize that if not for the MTB community none of these trails would exist. I think that people are generally ignorant and think that the trails have been built by the county or city for pedestrian use. I completely understand that once these trails are in place they become public multi use which is fine, I always yield to pedestrians but sometimes it's hard when they're just standing at a blind point in the trail. Many times these people are oblivious to anything around them and are staring at their phones not paying attention to their surroundings. It's crazy that as we evolve with all of this "Social connection" that we have at our fingertips we seem to be coming more antisocial. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I havent ridden SN in about 3 weeks or so and went out for a quickie last evening. So any reason why the section on the east side of the main trail, the section that's had the large pile of rocks in the shape of a triangle at its entrance.. the rocks were all gone. The bridge was gone . There was brush blocking a bit of the trail. Still not entirely blocked but someone made quite an effort to dissuade riding. I saw something from AJ about someone who has gone out of their way blocking the trails.

Curious minds want to know.

The random half assed blocking in other sections is not pleasant

Was this the trail that leads to the bridge that was missing at least one plank? If so, maybe the bridge gave way? Of course, this doesn’t explain the other stuff you saw. 

27 minutes ago, Chief said:

I was out there Sunday and ran into a couple families out walking the trails. The sad part of this is that many times the hikers have the attitude that the trail is for them and not MTBers. I don't think that these people know or realize that if not for the MTB community none of these trails would exist. I think that people are generally ignorant and think that the trails have been built by the county or city for pedestrian use. I completely understand that once these trails are in place they become public multi use which is fine, I always yield to pedestrians but sometimes it's hard when they're just standing at a blind point in the trail. Many times these people are oblivious to anything around them and are staring at their phones not paying attention to their surroundings. It's crazy that as we evolve with all of this "Social connection" that we have at our fingertips we seem to be coming more antisocial. 

Perhaps we just need additional signs reminding people not to stop at blind corners or on the trail, and some signs/plaques thanking and acknowledging the trail builders and groups so people realize that the MTB aren't invading, they are actually making this happen!

I think most people just think the trails were there forever and the trees and rocks just grew into berms...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSlow said:

Perhaps we just need additional signs reminding people not to stop at blind corners or on the trail, and some signs/plaques thanking and acknowledging the trail builders and groups so people realize that the MTB aren't invading, they are actually making this happen!

I always think about this when i ride walnut.

But to the other point. Riders do need to be more proactive about our reputation. I try to be as kind as possible when dealing with other trail users, and am a huge advocate for a good bell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSlow said:

I think most people just think the trails were there forever and the trees and rocks just grew into berms...

Unless people have a personal stake in something they won't have any real interest in the who, what, why, where, and how related to it.

That's pretty much normal human nature.

When people start using something, then they have a stake in it, to whatever degree they think it benefits them.

Unfortunately, most will still be viewing the matter from their POV... Meaning, the who, what, why, where, and how will be colored by their personal preferences/needs... Not anyone else's preferences/needs.

And again, this is pretty much just normal human nature.

And this disposition is becoming more and more pervading in today's society — especially the urban society.

It's the foundation of the division/divisiveness that we see dominating most human activity today.

When people think of "...community..." it is no longer true community, but is a corrupted somewhat parochial, often insular and even bigoted self-serving disposition towards their environment/situation. The truth is, "...community..." now means/defines that which meets a personal need/preference/agenda... Which is not what "...community...: actually means/defines.

This is why we are encountering the situations and environments we are today, and no amount of tackling from a top down manner, these problems that arise, is going to accomplish any longterm solution. It might place a bandaid over the problem, but that will soon fall off.

There are only two solutions...

Implement a heavy hand (police parties involved)... Or work from the ground up to rebuild proper community.

Edited by RidingAgain

23 hours ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

I always think about this when i ride walnut.

But to the other point. Riders do need to be more proactive about our reputation. I try to be as kind as possible when dealing with other trail users, and am a huge advocate for a good bell.

I am definitely the same way.  I always try to be as kind as possible.  "have a good day" "nice weather" etc...

Was this the trail that leads to the bridge that was missing at least one plank? If so, maybe the bridge gave way? Of course, this doesn’t explain the other stuff you saw. 
Correct. The lollypop loop as YoSmithy refers to it.

I had personally repaired some of the bridge a few months ago, but I know the main framing of it cracked a few weeks ago so it probably got trashed.  Hopefully someone saved some of the wood because it was brand new stuff.  

I kind of like the new creek water crossing, but want to add some gravel rocks on the one side to avoid major rutting/mud.   This "loop" is one of my favorite trails to ride as it has a little bit of everything so I'm happy to help keep it in shape.

FyI. Rode SN today and the creek crossing that has never had a bridge has been washed out a bit. Instead of a easily navigable crossing it is now about a 12" plus drop and maybe 2' across. Not horrid but damn surprising.
Easily doable if you knew it was now changed. Long live the Ninja.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1