IGNORED

COVID-19...Preparation, or hysteria?

TheX

Some crazy stuff going on, but is the fear warranted? EVen freakin' Disneyland is closing. My wife's open heart surgery is two weeks from yesterday. I am going to stay away from the gym for now, just in case.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

COVID-19 is not f-ing around. It's going to get worse. I was very skeptical at first, but it's ramping up into a big cluster. I am not expecting total societal collapse, but major disruptions are going to make things very slow and difficult for the next few weeks at least.

I am getting a few things at the store in case I can't go out this weekend, but not stockpiling.

I also just bought a bidet for my toilet.

Edited by mack_turtle

Trying to think of ways I can help people around me recover long-term as the economy goes south. I have no worries that I won't get paid, and even if I missed a paycheck, it's not going to destroy my finances. Not everyone I know is that financially secure.

On the other hand, I wonder if I should invest money now that stocks are taking a nosedive. If it comes roaring back, I'll have a nice investment. If it doesn't, my money will be useless anyways.

On a serious note (guns aside)... My wife's brother is a respiratory therapist that spent years in the ER/ICU hospital departments and later with the elderly... He sent us a text re. the following...

1) Vicks Vapor Rub top of lip and around nasal openings, reapply every two hours
2) Vicks Vapor Rub Inhaler... Use every so often
3) Thyme tea... One of the best ways to build a strong immune system quickly... Hot water poured over thyme, cover 15 minutes, add honey and grated ginger.
4) Vitamin C, 3,000 mg
5) Zinc, 100 mg
6) 70% proof alcohol for wiping hands and stuff you want to clean
7) Wash hands often — this is not an exaggeration
9) Don't touch people

And don't get stressed... Stress doesn't help your immune system.

Edited by RidingAgain

A big part of my job is traveling to events around the state to distribute literature. Several events have been cancelled. We expect more to drop off. Some are just waiting for an official disaster pronouncement so their can claim event insurance for their losses.

Myboss told us that if we are uncomfortable with anything that is not cancelled, he will support anyone who chose not to go. I was looking forward to EarthX in Dallas but it might not happen.

14 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I am going to assume RAs ideas have some merit for relieving symptoms. Anything is better than sitting around and waiting to die once it sets in.

It's too bad he has to constantly be such an asshole.

That's about the most comprehensive article I've read and it mentions all the big points.  I live with this stuff every day b/c it's part of my wife's job...I get a full debrief every night.

The main point to emphasize IMO is to flatten that curve.  I'm most worried about my parents (my mom's a recent breast cancer survivor) and mother in-law and people I know with chronic illness.  Let's make sure those hospital beds are free for those that really need it when the time comes.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

On the other hand, I wonder if I should invest money now that stocks are taking a nosedive. If it comes roaring back, I'll have a nice investment. If it doesn't, my money will be useless anyways.

I bought at 28,000, 27,000, and 26,000 not realizing how bad things would get. Now realizing I could have waited for 21,000. Luckily I have enough liquidity to buy much more now, which I intend to do. It's money that I won't need for hopefully 10-15 years.  

• Like 2

I stopped by the HEB at Mopac and Parmer just before 7 this morning. There were massive lines, people with carts stacked up full of food. I just grabbed the last mega pack of Charmin toilet paper and went through the self-checkout lane. I carried my car keys in my knuckles in case someone tried to jump me in the parking lot.

if I'm not sick in a week and anyone else needs it I've got toilet paper. 30 bucks a roll.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

An account I follow on IG posted they were trying to fly back to the US and Delta was charging $27,000.00 for a one way business class seat. They said they paid $5000.00 for their tickets. Fuck the airlines and anyone else that chooses to profit in this manner during this pandemic!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chief said:

My wife went to Costco yesterday and the shelves were empty. No TP or paper towels and most everything that is essential was gone.

Last night, the greeter at the SW Austin Costco was holding a laminated sign that read "We are out of toilet paper and paper towels" so he would not have to lose his voice saying it out loud thousands of times.

• Like 1

• Albert locked this topic