IGNORED

COVID-19...Preparation, or hysteria?

TheX

29 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

communal (venereal too) diseases.

That reminds me of the other two points Jessica and I were talking about this weekend. First, this must be tough on the single folks who are used to their hookups... and two, there's going to be a corona-baby-boom come the end of the year. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

My wife in her role at UT manages a bunch of people and one of her biggest struggles\complaints is trying to get sick people to not come in. But-- they dont want to burn PTO or they are not paid very well and need every cent.

That is it right there^

Couple that with our dogshit, for profit health care system, and we have an express lane for a virus that started on another continent to forever alter our way of life within weeks. No toll fees required.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

On the brightside,, they are proving now to the old school bosses that they can in fact work from home and actually accomplish more.  I wonder if this will change society more 

Its already doing it. My wife is currently on the frontline for the coming changes in education.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

On the brightside,, they are proving now to the old school bosses that they can in fact work from home and actually accomplish more.  I wonder if this will change society more 

Guaranteed. Why pay rents on expensive office space for 400 employees when actually only 100 need to be onsite?

But there will be other changes to society that come out of this. I am hoping most of those changes are for the good.

But we need to be diligent about bad changes happening such as loss of individual freedoms and changes to our free market economy. Both of those things are very intertwined.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Barry said:

That reminds me of the other two points Jessica and I were talking about this weekend... and there's going to be a corona-baby-boom come the end of the year. 

They will all be first-born children.

-CJB

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, The Tip said:

But we need to be diligent about bad changes happening such as loss of individual freedoms and changes to our free market economy. Both of those things are very intertwined.  

The freedoms thing really concerns me. This is going to be way beyond 911 in terms of damage to our collective psyche as our "enemy" is no longer people with brown skin from the middle east, but now is invisible, and potentially within each and every one of us.

Free market economy is a myth anyway. If it were real, all those f@cks asking for bailout money would have been eliminated from the marketplace three recessions ago.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 4

Corporations are people, so each corporation that is losing money should get a single check for $1,200, like every other person most people. (edited, thanks!)

Or they can get back all the taxes they paid last year, which is often $0.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 4

OK, am I the only one who thinks that some of the new "rules" need to stick around:

1) Specific hours/days for elderly/sick/disabled get priority shopping

2) EVERYBODY outside!

3) Families forced to eat together, game together, actually speak to each other

4) Alcohol delivery/pickup with meals.  Hell yeah.  Just this one.  That is all I want to keep.

5) Parents all of a sudden realize how shitty their offspring are to TEACH for our UNDERPAID teachers and being grateful that elementary/middle/highschool is not daycare. 

6) Work from home: This shit ain't hard with technology.  I'm right now in the garage on the computer, listening to Metallica on pandora, and GoToMyPC app running answering emails.  This needs to happen more often!

• Like 6

15 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Corporations are people, so each corporation that is losing money should get a single check for $1,200, like every other person most people. (edited, thanks!)

Or they can get back all the taxes they paid last year, which is often $0.

I know when YOU say "corporation" in your mind you are thinking of a huge faceless trillion dollar revenue company. Let me educate you. A simple Google search revealed this:

Today, there are 1.7 million traditional C corporations, compared to 7.4 million partnerships and S corporations, and 23 million sole proprietorships.Jan 13, 2014

I was set up as a corporation in my restaurant. Sure, I was the only stock holder and I was every officer, but I was a "corporation." So when folks like you are so vehement in trying to punish big bad corporations, in reality you are just punishing millions of little guys. And believe me, little guy corporations ARE punished when big bad corporations are penalized.

Edited by The Tip

He's just slamming Citizens United because that's a travesty. 

In my opinion, Citizens united made some people have more than one vote as far as influencing government.  In fact, it's exponentially more power through lobbying rather voting.  The stockholders and executives get more representation than a regular citizen and that's outrageous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My last office job had "unlimited PTO" in theory, but in practice there was always peer pressure not to truly take advantage of it. I believe the companies that have that are just using lip service.

As to Citizens United, I'll believe that corporations are people once Texas executes one. Oh, and also, churches should pay taxes. Especially not when they are flouting the law and infecting their parishioners.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Barry said:

I guess we can call this the Spring Breakers Bump...

image.png.c0174a9cbc28ba66f2002cc8b109b77a.png

Honestly, I just consider the 206 number and outlier.  Ever since the 119 number we've been on a fairly steady avg of 20 per day.  Ultimately, these number don't matter a ton because my suspicions are that the actual number is waaaaaay higher.  But I do like to check on what the county is reckoning and how that may play into public policy decisions.

Later,
CJB

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

My last office job had "unlimited PTO" in theory, but in practice there was always peer pressure not to truly take advantage of it. I believe the companies that have that are just using lip service.

Same here. We had "time away" that you got shit for every time you used it, and were also called while on vacation to be told things are going wrong in your absence.  Didn't Germany pass a law making that illegal? 

Ultimately, the company used the recession to take as much away from us as possible, so i just stopped caring and took as much time/called in often and blocked calls. Never again

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

As to Citizens United, I'll believe that corporations are people once Texas executes one. Oh, and also, churches should pay taxes. Especially not when they are flouting the law and infecting their parishioners.

Yes and abso-fukin' lutely

I'd love to pull the lever on exxon mobile

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

Ultimately, these number don't matter a ton because my suspicions are that the actual number is waaaaaay higher. 

Agreed. And what that ultimately means is that the death rate is likely much lower than is readily evident because so many more people are infected than is known. But I'd say the CDC has some good modeling numbers to reconcile this. 

29 minutes ago, Barry said:

Agreed. And what that ultimately means is that the death rate is likely much lower than is readily evident because so many more people are infected than is known. But I'd say the CDC has some good modeling numbers to reconcile this. 

YEs, I've been having this debate/discussion with some of my friends.  They're talking about how much the rates and percentages are off and that its being used to 'scare people'.  But my retort is that you can't deny the ACTUAL number of people filling up the ICU's (and dying) in Italy, NYC & Louisiana.  The death rate or infection rate is of very little concern for me.  I'm much more concerned about lowering the curve (and hoping/planning that my time to get it will fall outside of the bell curve).  I don't want to be competing with all the other resources that would be needed to triage people during the proceeded chaos.  Because, I do tend to think that most of us will get it over the next 8 months.

Later,
CJB

Edited by CBaron
  • Like 3

On 4/1/2020 at 1:21 PM, CBaron said:

YEs, I've been having this debate/discussion with some of my friends.  They're talking about how much the rates and percentages are off and that its being used to 'scare people'.  But my retort is that you can't deny the ACTUAL number of people filling up the ICU's (and dying) in Italy, NYC & Louisiana.  The death rate or infection rate is of very little concern for me.  I'm much more concerned about lowering the curve (and hoping/planning that my time to get it will fall outside of the bell curve).  I don't want to be competing with all the other resources that would be needed to triage people during the proceeded chaos.  Because, I do tend to think that most of us will get it over the next 8 months.

Later,
CJB

Preach brother!!!

One note about this Austin curve, it's based on reported symptoms not actual tests.  The ones for actual tests are a little lower until they catch up to demand. 

Edit:  crossed above and also to say I think curves based on actual tests without showing testing percentage of the population per day are useless to infer progression.

However, many places are giving up on testing and just call it based on symptoms.  My brother (an M.D.) is on a Dr. forum and read a report from an ER in New Orleans.  They have very specific symptoms and how the disease manifests itself and they are all experts by now with each having seen hundreds of patients to call it COVID19.  

Steady 20 per day is "good" and that is consider a flat curve.   You can't infer R from this curve, but you can make an educated guess we are in a good place and that the distancing is kicking butt.

Actual infection numbers are 5-10x higher than the reported numbers.

This is definitely more infectious than the flu, and definitely more deadly than the flu.  I think the death rate will start converging to <1% once they can test everyone to see whether someone had it but never knew it.  For some countries it's really bad though with >1% death rate even after testing is catching up.

Edited by AntonioGG
Corrected my mistake above.
  • Like 3

• Albert locked this topic