IGNORED

COVID-19...Preparation, or hysteria?

TheX

Austin and Travis County are "shutting down" parks this weekend. I understand what they are trying to do, but,

a) are they actually going to enforce that? how can they?

b) is that just going to funnel people into alternative spaces that are more restrictive?

I guess the main thing they can do is block parking lots at trail heads and hope people stay away. the covidiots who would normally gather at Bull Creek and HOL are going to have to have their orgies of stupidity elsewhere, or face the horror of riding a bicycle to those places. fortunately, it looks like it's going to be hot AF, so most people will stay home and watch Hamilton on Disney+.

Edited by mack_turtle

106346623_10223059567937175_7690239985549825271_n.thumb.jpg.ce065e62c43b0cba4c96b5ab56e02787.jpg

"I don't need to wear a mask" — "I have chosen willful ignorance about the physical reality of how stuff moves in the air and I don't give a shit about anyone but myself."

this "meme" has many variations based on the classic "trolley problem"

107666970_3318744724844197_263873537395361374_n.jpg.d32b680eec9e7ad62b7a0a036e827f13.jpg

Strangest thing I have seen: we are now in full Red Alert across Texas, including Austin, and people still have their heads up their butts.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheX said:

Dang, I read the entire thing.  I sure hope he's right.

Ever since the decision to re-open came about, I feel like its been very difficult to get a fair-read for what's really going on.  I'm gently in the middle position-wise with all of this.  I've been trying to galvanize my thinking and most of it all just seems like noise.  That why I'm pleased to see this thread pop back up with less vitriol and name-calling.

Cheers,
CJB

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CBaron said:

Dang, I read the entire thing.  I sure hope he's right.

Ever since the decision to re-open came about, I feel like its been very difficult to get a fair-read for what's really going on.  I'm gently in the middle position-wise with all of this.  I've been trying to galvanize my thinking and most of it all just seems like noise.  That why I'm pleased to see this thread pop back up with less vitriol and name-calling.

Cheers,
CJB

Spoiler alert: he's probably not right.

I got about halfway through the article but had two very large issues with his assessment. 

First, he is looking at deaths and not infections. The death rate is coming down because of two factors. First, more younger people are getting infected and they are less likely to die. You want to really drive down the death rate? Open the schools. You'll flood the system with millions of children and almost zero deaths. Death rate is a function of the numerator and the denominator, if you want to change the number significantly you just need to add way more infections and that death rate, as a percentage, keeps creeping down. The other driver on deaths is that we did not know that much early on. We were putting everyone on ventilators. Then we learned that this is an 80% death sentence. Fewer ventilators actually = fewer deaths. We're getting better at treating this and outcomes are increasing.

Second, he talks about herd immunity being 17-20%. I've never seen any other expert that low. Most are in the 40-60% range (typical herd immunity is 80-95%). Now, even if you believe that we can get there at 20%, where does that leave us? We just crossed 3,000,000 infections in the US. With a population of ~370M, this means we are not even 1% infected. So all we need to get to herd immunity is just take today's situation and make it TWENTY TIMES WORSE.

The semantics of "first wave" and "second wave" are a bit blurry because we never took care of the first wave:

454587131_ScreenShot2020-07-09at5_43_49AM.thumb.jpg.24a608130e16c2ebc935748ee5ddfee3.jpg

If I had to venture what is *actually* going on here is not that there is a uniform wave, but that there is a time-based infection wave. 

This is New York

991728381_ScreenShot2020-07-09at5_45_21AM.thumb.jpg.c279c4648d5d33117b0c0ca0cf7143e2.jpg

This is Texas:

514435460_ScreenShot2020-07-09at5_45_37AM.thumb.jpg.b6759cac7ec97e7ff85fa16058ee2140.jpg

The biggest problem that we face is that we reopened too fast. And we are about to go all in and do the exact same thing with schools. The health experts will tell you that opening schools is a real danger. The politicians will tell you we have to get there and will force the issue. And then 2 months from now we'll be looking at infections everywhere that look like the Texas chart above.

The lesson that we have not learned apparently, is that the virus doesn't care about the economy and the virus cannot be bullied. The fact that the CDC came out with school guidelines, the White House then came out with their guidelines, and then forced the CDC to restate to more relaxed guidelines just tells me that we are amping up for another fiasco.

Thank god I don't have kids. All I have to do is pay for this.

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, TheX said:

The title alone raised my eyebrows, and skimming through the "facts" reinforced my intuition, so I had to Google the author. Turns out he is a major antivaxxer grifter. Please don't amplify him.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/j-b-handleys-unthinking-persons-guide-to-the-covid-19-pandemic/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Second, he talks about herd immunity being 17-20%. I've never seen any other expert that low. Most are in the 40-60% range (typical herd immunity is 80-95%). Now, even if you believe that we can get there at 20%, where does that leave us? We just crossed 3,000,000 infections in the US. With a population of ~370M, this means we are not even 1% infected. So all we need to get to herd immunity is just take today's situation and make it TWENTY TIMES WORSE.

I'm not going to dive into big debates with people because I'm still trying to figure out exactly where I stand.  I consider myself still more in 'observer' mode in the broad sense.  But the author was getting to the herd immunity numbers by dividing the death numbers by the IFR which seems like a form of reasonable math to me?  Additionally, you state that we just crossed 3 million infections but I think that's just 'defined' infections.  The actual infected rate is widely believed to be MUCH higher.  How high?  I have no idea...I can't seem to get a great read on that stat either.  But I've seen numbers that state as much as 10x the defined infected rate.

And I really don't care if he's an anti-vaxxer or not.  I'm trying to look at math and science to the best of my (own) ability.

Later,
CJB

^non-sequitur of the week. what does that have to do with capacity for COVID-19 treatment? Do you think they are lying, and why would hospitals lie about running out of resources to tread COVID-19 patients? that doesn't even make sense. I don't understand what kind of point you're making. just because someone will see you in the ER within a few minutes does not mean that the virus is not spreading like crazy and making people very sick.

Edited by mack_turtle

Emergency room =/= ICU capacity

That is like saying that there is no wait to place your order at Starbucks. Anyone can take an order and take your money quickly but what if they don't hand you your half car skinny venti mocha frappachino an hour later. Are you still excited about the fact that there was nobody in front of you to order at that point?

Those that can't understand the difference between emergency room and ICU need to do a little more reading. Nobody has ever said that there was an emergency room shortage, it is an ICU shortage.

679011916_ScreenShot2020-07-09at1_18_36PM.thumb.png.f081355a85aa5b49bf21fd43a60f79c2.png

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

I'm not going to dive into big debates with people because I'm still trying to figure out exactly where I stand.  I consider myself still more in 'observer' mode in the broad sense.  But the author was getting to the herd immunity numbers by dividing the death numbers by the IFR which seems like a form of reasonable math to me?  Additionally, you state that we just crossed 3 million infections but I think that's just 'defined' infections.  The actual infected rate is widely believed to be MUCH higher.  How high?  I have no idea...I can't seem to get a great read on that stat either.  But I've seen numbers that state as much as 10x the defined infected rate.

And I really don't care if he's an anti-vaxxer or not.  I'm trying to look at math and science to the best of my (own) ability.

Later,
CJB

Yes, the actual infection rates could be a lot higher.

But, sadly, there are people simultaneously saying that we don't need all of these lockdowns, we just need to get to herd immunity. At the same time they are telling you that there really isn't a problem. They need to pick a lane. 

And if the actual infection rate is 10X higher (which I would believe because of all of the asymptomatic people) then I would posit:

1. We are probably only ~20% of the way to herd immunity, not halfway there, so that implies we need to order a lot more body bags.

2. We have not comprehended all of the downstream pulmonary and heart issues that seem to be coming out of these patients. We're seeing a lot of people with lingering effects that could last for the rest of their lives. Nobody is capturing this data and it could be a real drag on GDP for decades to come. Which is why keeping people healthy and safe is so important.

Data out of South Korea from KCDC shows just one person out of ~3,000 that actually had immunity and antibodies: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200709000787. Chalk up one more for "don't count on herd immunity to get us out of this one.

{We're staring down some pretty serious complicating factors in my family right now so I am all over this thing, way more than I ever wanted to be.}

Funny, I was walking around the neighborhood by the school and overheard 2 boys probably around 8-10 years old. One was saying someone was trying to take votes away from Biden because they don't like him. The other asked how he was going to do that, The other said he did not know... By then I was out of earshot. I am assuming they were talking about Kanye but it was really strange hearing 2 little kids talk about politics. They were wearing their helmets about to hop back on their Walmart mtbs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GFisher said:

Funny, I was walking around the neighborhood by the school and overheard 2 boys probably around 8-10 years old. One was saying someone was trying to take votes away from Biden because they don't like him. The other asked how he was going to do that, The other said he did not know... By then I was out of earshot. I am assuming they were talking about Kanye but it was really strange hearing 2 little kids talk about politics. They were wearing their helmets about to hop back on their Walmart mtbs.

unfortunately, politics is the new religion in america 

2 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

That's gotta be a rough day. You get run over by Kanye then he gets out and cuts your dick off. Damn.

🤣

It's 2020 so all bets are off......

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Emergency room =/= ICU capacity

That is like saying that there is no wait to place your order at Starbucks. Anyone can take an order and take your money quickly but what if they don't hand you your half car skinny venti mocha frappachino an hour later. Are you still excited about the fact that there was nobody in front of you to order at that point?

Those that can't understand the difference between emergency room and ICU need to do a little more reading. Nobody has ever said that there was an emergency room shortage, it is an ICU shortage.

679011916_ScreenShot2020-07-09at1_18_36PM.thumb.png.f081355a85aa5b49bf21fd43a60f79c2.png

First, as someone who has worked at Startbucks, yes. the cashiers can take your order MUCH faster than the baristas can make them. in the age of online ordering where there's one person in line but someone just ordered 20 individual drinks for her entire office, appearances can be deceiving. people stand around for 20 minutes and get mad after you've called their name and drink order out seven times and someone else swoops in a takes it, too. I had nightmares about never-ending drink orders after a long shift in December when dozens of Christmas shoppers formed a line out the door and the pile of cups destined to receive peppermint mochas kept piling higher and higher and I had to keep making whipped cream... OH NO THE DREAMS ARE BACK! but I digress.

Likewise, if you walk into your LBS in June during a pandemic and no one else is around, that flat tire fix might take four weeks because all the bicycle nurses and sick bays are full.

more importantly, where did you find that data for ICUs in Travis County? (edit: I think this is it.)

Edited by mack_turtle

1 hour ago, GFisher said:

Ugh, I find that terribly sad.  8-10 yr old boys should be talking about other things....NOT F'n politics!  

-CJB

• Like 1

• Albert locked this topic