IGNORED

COVID-19...Preparation, or hysteria?

TheX

2 hours ago, GFisher said:

We had planned to travel to Europe this summer, visiting at least Germany and France and catching part of the TdF while we were there, but, well, you know the rest of the story...

We had a Germany trip planned for this fall. Looking forward to seeing the Black Forest and a friend in Berlin. Started brushing up on meine Deutsche with Duo Lingo as well.

So much for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quixoft said:

TLDR. Kids are safe, over 55 should take precautions.

My grandson is 4 and he's back in his day care. Kids are pretty much unaffected by COVID. There have been 30 total COVID deaths to kids under 15 since Feb 4th. That's 30 deaths under the age of 15 from COVID over the past five months.

At this point, I'm worried about my wife and I more than the kids.  But there is also too much focus solely on deaths.  There are healthy people with permanent organ damage that survived.  People that can't smell months after being sick, people with pancreas and other organs damage, etc  More and more is known now of course, and SpO2 monitoring if you're not feeling well, and then O2+ steroids and blood thinners if you're positive would help prevent these problems, but it's most definitely not something like a flu for a lot of people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GFisher said:

Me too. I was born in Germany when my dad was stationed there and I took it High School. Currently on a 344 day streak in Duolingo. The GF is taking French. We had planned to travel to Europe this summer, visiting at least Germany and France and catching part of the TdF while we were there, but, well, you know the rest of the story...

I had to can my England (Premier League)/France vacation that was supposed to happen in May. 

banking on getting back to Germany when all of this breaks, been there a dozen times or more, always a great place to go. Sunday is a total sausage fest with some friends who have a pool. Kraut, sausage, homemade pretzels and tons of beer. Got some Spaten Optimator to take the edge off this week. Bundesliga and umlauts all day. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

We had a Germany trip planned for this fall. Looking forward to seeing the Black Forest and a friend in Berlin. Started brushing up on meine Deutsche with Duo Lingo as well.

So much for that.

Das ist mein Deutsch, es ist nicht meine Deutsch.

Because the article is not die and it is not plural it would not be meine. Articles and pronouns are off the wall in that language. 

where in the Black Forest? My family comes from Gaisbach which is near Künzelsau and Oberkirch.

32 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

So much for that.

28 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

At this point, I'm worried about my wife and I more than the kids.  But there is also too much focus solely on deaths.  There are healthy people with permanent organ damage that survived.  People that can't smell months after being sick, people with pancreas and other organs damage, etc  More and more is known now of course, and SpO2 monitoring if you're not feeling well, and then O2+ steroids and blood thinners if you're positive would help prevent these problems, but it's most definitely not something like a flu for a lot of people.

Same boat we're in man. Be a shame to survive all the shit we've been through only to have issues from covid that keeps us from our most positive outlet, enjoying bikes.

21 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I had to can my England (Premier League)/France vacation that was supposed to happen in May. 

banking on getting back to Germany when all of this breaks, been there a dozen times or more, always a great place to go. Sunday is a total sausage fest with some friends who have a pool. Kraut, sausage, homemade pretzels and tons of beer. Got some Spaten Optimator to take the edge off this week. Bundesliga and umlauts all day. 

We  had a trip planned to Quebec to return to the races at MSA. Our plan was to fly into portland with the bikes and drive across the border spending a week around QC riding all the new stuff. Then finish off with the races. And then came covid.

Next year-ish I suppose.......

• Like 3

7 hours ago, taco_junkie said:

And when they get to OOP or assembly language half of them will drop to something else. At least that's how it was 25 years ago.

Believe this is how they labeled the Assembler Lang course at SWTSU in '81. I really enjoyed it and probably would have had an A if it weren't for procrastinating and cramming my assignments in after days of drinking and jet skiing on Canyon Lake. I actually put it to use at Methodist Hospital in Houston when I wrote an Assembler subroutine for COBOL programmers who needed a way to fool the IBM CICS terminal control system into thinking it was operating in mixed case vs. upper case so that customer letters looked more professional.   

image.png.440a5e21913fc606a98ee29cccd1b9b1.png

Edited by throet
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

So for us  the online classes were positive and we were lucky enough to have children old enough to manage their own time and education.

My 14-yr old can't stand online. We convinced the admin at his private school to let him participate audio only, but even then, he's not willing to speak during class. He views the virtual environment as sort of an invasion on his privacy. Last we heard students at his school were going to be given the option to be onsite or virtual, and he's definitely opting in for onsite if that holds.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, throet said:

Believe this is how they labeled the Assembler Lang course at SWTSU in '81. I really enjoyed it and probably would have had an A if it weren't for procrastinating and cramming my assignments in after days of drinking and jet skiing on Canyon Lake. I actually put it to use at Methodist Hospital in Houston when I wrote an Assembler subroutine for COBOL programmers who needed a way to fool the IBM CICS terminal control system into thinking it was operating in mixed case vs. upper case so that customer letters looked more professional.   

Thats awesome. Wife got her undergrad back when it was still SWTSU . So much fucking off there at the time......

1 minute ago, throet said:

My 14-yr old can't stand online. We convinced the admin at his private school to let him participate audio only, but even then, he's not willing to speak during class. He views the virtual environment as sort of an invasion on his privacy. Last we heard students at his school were going to be given the option to be onsite or virtual, and he's definitely opting in for onsite if that holds.  

Totally. Mine would prefer to learn in a classroom environment as well but she is at-risk for covid so we are gonna keep her home. Hoping she can do her senior year like a normal kid, or at least as normal as can be for the school she attends.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, throet said:

Assembler Lang course at SWTSU in '81

Took it in the late 90s and it was VAX Macro Assembly. I've never been good at nor wanted to be that close to the machine level ever again. Did fine in the class but I enjoyed OS and Data Structures a lot more. Found my real passion in databases and software engineering.

I think social interaction at school is just as important of creating a healthy future member of society as what we think of as education. I'm afraid for the world if nobody ever leaves the house again for anything. And I'm a dedicated video game computer nerd.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, throet said:

COBOL!  Y2K38 baby!

• Haha 1

Todays stats from Worldometer. These deaths are still people that HAD Covid when they died, not just died FROM Covid.
cases.png.30a5b6c14ff77d90f8da1663cfd6abd9.png

deaths.png.4b0698f772b6e95b8070e85e68de051d.png

That death rate is clearly rising. So,
Your insertion is that it’s rising because more people have it, yet the regular amount of people are dying, but they would’ve died anyway, so numbers are being skewed? It’s a complete coincidence that they have COVID-19? That seems like a bit of a stretch.

His assertion is that all of this is overblown and it is not the big deal that the rest of us are making this.

That was a bad assertion in March.

That was a bad assertion when the US passed 1 million infections.

That was a bad assertion when the US passed 100,000 deaths.

That was a bad assertion when the world crossed over 3 million infections.

Any guess on whether it is going to be a good position when Texas has to shut down a second time and kids don't go back to school?

We can either take this seriously or we can blow it off.  The virus cannot be negotiated with, the virus cannot be bullied on Twitter and the virus does not give a shit about your political leanings. 

I fail to see how, now several months in, people can be saying that this is not a big deal. What, exactly is in it for them? Until EVERYONE is serious about this we're not going to beat it. This is a we situation, not a me situation.

• Like 1

From an article about the virus bringing families closer together. Hilarious. The increase in domestic violence, and alcoholism is closer to the truth. But seriously, MASKS at home? You can't make this stuff up.

survey.png.3c350c213631962681fd7ea92ce7a612.png

From an article about the virus bringing families closer together. Hilarious. The increase in domestic violence, and alcoholism is closer to the truth. But seriously, MASKS at home? You can't make this stuff up.

You can make it up. This is probably how it went. “I’m writing an article about the virus bringing families together and need a representative image. A family wearing masks at home would be perfect.”

Yes, I’m implying that this image was staged. It’s not a conspiracy. It’s a stock image.
  • Like 1

Ill play devils advocate on this one and entertain the idea that this is just the flu and is being blown out of proportion.

If it's just the flu then why isn't any leader saying "hey, it's just the flu and it'll pass and here's how we know". Even the president who said all this would be gone by april "like a miracle" is now wearing a mask. The governor of texas has backtracked and made masks mandatory.  I fail to see that this is being blown out of proportion when every leader has had the opportunity to call on their teams to prove otherwise but hasn't. It always comes down to some subreddit clickbait post about the new world order and how all this is a hoax. Our leaders won't do anything because they'd have to acknowledge the 300lb gorilla in the room, and admit they don't know what to do. They instead just hide inside their mansions.

Do I think this pandemic is man made? Yes, but not in the tinfoil hat sense. We keep destroying the habitats of these bats displacing them to areas where they can spread disease. We are also driving increased temperatures on the earth making it almost impossible for these animals to survive in the canopies they were once isolated to. I recently read an article and about the artic fires in Siberia. Think about that statement. ARTIC FIRES. We are driving these issues. We are creating them and it's only going to get worse. Just take a moment and consider whats been trapped in that newly melting permafrost and ice for thousands of years. Potential extinction level activity could result because our constant want for more and more and more

Yes there is a conspiracy, and we are the culprits.  

rant/ off

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

I agree with Notyal.. stock photo.
And if this couple months of alone time with your dearly beloved drives you to divorce or domestic violence or alcoholism then I can maybe assume things were not stellar to begin with.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Yes there is a conspiracy, and we are the culprits.  

Well if that's the case, then shouldn't we just let the virus run its course and eliminate a major part of the problem? i.e. Humans? Personally, I am a big believer that the earth and nature tries its best to keep a balance. Like you said, we're triggering some of these things and nature's reaction is to fight back. 

We're basically like a locust swarm on the earth and eventually nature is going to say "fuck it" and just wipe us out. We've been able to somewhat fight and control nature with technology which has allowed to flourish and overpopulate but eventually she'll pull something and just wipe us out. 

Is COVID just the vanguard in nature's war vs humanity after so much of our abuse? Maybe. I've started to see reports of antibodies only lasting a few weeks to a couple months. If that is in fact true, a vaccine won't do shit. What do we do then? Just hide like we are or accept the fact that nature can skull fuck us really anytime she wants and that maybe we should get our shit together, stop breeding like rabbits, and stop destroying things and then letting this kind of crap out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, quixoft said:

or accept the fact that nature can skull fuck us really anytime she wants and that maybe we should get our shit together, stop breeding like rabbits, and stop destroying things and then letting this kind of crap out.

100% this^

• Like 2

Make no mistake: Nature doesn't have a will. No anthropomorphic Gaia is trying to "restore a balance."  There is no force that views humanity as an infestation. That is old superstition and poppycock. It's not something paying us back for bad behavior like a bloody and barbarous God, it's just cause and effect.

Our actions have consequences to which our culture (which is not the only human culture to have existed in this planet) has assigned a negative value. The arc of the universe is long and it bends toward chaos. I think we should fight it, but we need to think long term about whatever predictable results we can calculate. We've known for a long time what this type of civilization costs and we've borrowed from tomorrow's dreams to pay for today.

(I've consumed too much Cormac McCarthy lately.)

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 6

Make no mistake: Nature doesn't have a will. No anthropomorphic Gaia is trying to "restore a balance."  There is no force that views humanity as an infestation.

This is where I sit. Any other position opens us up to a wide variety of theories from aliens to Disney princesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

I don't believe there's any type of new age gaia or anything of that sort, just the natural order. We obviously need to do what it takes to control and hopefully cure this pandemic but failing to learn from this, and continuing on with a business as usual attitude will ultimately lead to our extinction. Deservedly so.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

Just hide like we are or accept the fact that nature can skull fuck us really anytime she wants and that maybe we should get our shit together, stop breeding like rabbits, and stop destroying things and then letting this kind of crap out.

I totally agree with you on this. Makes me laugh though. If you cant get people to wear a mask because of whatever they dream up then imagine their uproar when they are told not to breed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

1 hour ago, quixoft said:

Well if that's the case, then shouldn't we just let the virus run its course and eliminate a major part of the problem? i.e. Humans? Personally, I am a big believer that the earth and nature tries its best to keep a balance. Like you said, we're triggering some of these things and nature's reaction is to fight back. 

We're basically like a locust swarm on the earth and eventually nature is going to say "fuck it" and just wipe us out. We've been able to somewhat fight and control nature with technology which has allowed to flourish and overpopulate but eventually she'll pull something and just wipe us out. 

Is COVID just the vanguard in nature's war vs humanity after so much of our abuse? Maybe. I've started to see reports of antibodies only lasting a few weeks to a couple months. If that is in fact true, a vaccine won't do shit. What do we do then? Just hide like we are or accept the fact that nature can skull fuck us really anytime she wants and that maybe we should get our shit together, stop breeding like rabbits, and stop destroying things and then letting this kind of crap out.

This has basically been my stance since day 1. If you’re afraid, protect yourself the best you can, but I firmly believe that this is nature culling the herd and we individually have little say over that right now (outside of delaying infection a bit by wearing a mask and whatnot). In today’s age much of the population does not realize we a very vulnerable species to some of the smallest micro-organisms known (and unknown) to mankind. 

• Like 2

• Albert locked this topic