IGNORED

COVID-19...Preparation, or hysteria?

TheX

47 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

I don't believe there's any type of new age gaia or anything of that sort, just the natural order. We obviously need to do what it takes to control and hopefully cure this pandemic but failing to learn from this, and continuing on with a business as usual attitude will ultimately lead to our extinction. Deservedly so.

Same here. I use Mother Nature anthropomorphicly because I like the way it sounds. It is cause and effect as we are simply disrupting things and feeling the effects. But I like the Mother Nature is angry play so I use it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

This is where I sit. Any other position opens us up to a wide variety of theories from aliens to Disney princesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree with you, much of the world believes in a god of some sort. Believing in Mother Nature is simply another version of that. 

3 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

In today’s age much of the population does not realize we a very vulnerable species to some of the smallest micro-organisms known (and unknown) to mankind. 

Or to any number of other ravages.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I don't believe there's any type of new age gaia or anything of that sort, just the natural order.

I still have problems with that concept. There is cause and effect and infinite possibilities. All trends lead to increased chaos because there are no "closed systems." The Earth and the universe don't have a plan for us. We make our own fate to some degree and the rest is luck, good or bad. There is no "balance" or "order" just probability. The concept of balance, metaphors of scales and yin-yangs are popular because it absolves us of agency over the effects of our behavior. "God has a plan" and other such nonsense are unique to the modern era that comfort us in the face of all the knowledge we can never know and I reject it. I am not talking about nihilism here, just objective reality. 

Edited by mack_turtle

13 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I don't believe there's any type of new age gaia or anything of that sort, just the natural order. We obviously need to do what it takes to control and hopefully cure this pandemic but failing to learn from this, and continuing on with a business as usual attitude will ultimately lead to our extinction. Deservedly so.

It's amazing that since the 1940's we've made technological leaps and bounds but a hundred years since the last pandemic and we're handling it the same way.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, quixoft said:

I've started to see reports of antibodies only lasting a few weeks to a couple months. If that is in fact true, a vaccine won't do shit. What do we do then? 

Most vaccines don't work with a single dose. That's why they do rounds of booster shots.

• Like 1

"The images are everywhere: People crowded face-to-face in swimming pools, shoulder-to-shoulder in indoor bars, cheering without masks at a rally held by President Trump, who often downplays the global pandemic."

Yet no mention of "peaceful protests", Walmart, Home Depot...

13 minutes ago, JMR said:

Yet no mention of "peaceful protests", Walmart, Home Depot...

Given the subject matter, it is supremely ironic that you appear to not have read, or willfully refuse to acknowledge, the next few paragraphs where he addresses BLM protests.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Given the subject matter, it is supremely ironic that you appear to not have read, or willfully refuse to acknowledge, the next few paragraphs where he addresses BLM protests.

Ah, yes. I didn't get that far. I was thrown off by all the big words used. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer....

• Like 1

Even the worst of neocon bureaucrats is having to publicly acknowledge deaths will increase. So explain to me how this is a leftie-cuck-commie, global conspiracy again?

"Greg Abbott again warned that he expects hospitalizations and deaths to continue to rise."

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200710/with-record-10000-in-hospital-abbott-warns-lsquothings-will-get-worsersquo

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Dude, ERs and ICUs are two different things.

You need to either learn the difference or stop posting.

seriously, FFS @TheX. saying ignorant stuff and not responding to people who point out the contradictions is juvenile. you can't just post some non-sequitur, drop the mic and walk out of the conversation without standing up to scrutiny from your peers. if you just want to shout at us and stick your fingers in your ears instead of taking personal responsibility for the critiques you deserve, GTFO.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

Good update from Campbell RE COVID infections in america. Can confirm doctors at our center told us they are waiting an average of 48hrs to receive results for tests performed on their staff members. They were frustrated that they were losing capacity waiting for results, when they need staff there the most. Wife's doctor said hospital is 10 days away from capacity at current trend.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

seriously, FFS @TheX. saying ignorant stuff and not responding to people who point out the contradictions is juvenile. you can't just post some non-sequitur, drop the mic and walk out of the conversation without standing up to scrutiny from your peers. if you just want to shout at us and stick your fingers in your ears instead of taking personal responsibility for the critiques you deserve, GTFO.

"There is no way that Specs is out of Buckethead IPA. I was just at HEB and they had a whole endcap of Keystone Light! It's all fake!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

From a very reliable source, ERs in at least one Texas metro area are getting slammed with COVID-19. Patients who would normally get admitted are being given home oxygen and discharged with instructions to see their PCP because appropriately staffed hospital beds are filling up fast. This is not a good scenario. For what it's worth, my source is a staunch republican. Seems the only folks spewing BS are those dumb enough to be influenced by conspiracy propaganda. While that shit works well for herding the sheep on FB, thankfully folks here appear impervious to the nonsense.  

• Like 2

• Albert locked this topic