IGNORED

COVID-19...Preparation, or hysteria?

TheX

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

[SNIP]..because people can get it a second time (there are existing cases like this)...[SNIP]

There are some promising very early news on this front.  A study looking at some of the people that tested positive a second time shows that the positive test was due to viral proteins/pieces and they're not infectious anymore.

Regarding the cost of saving lives vs deaths, here's an interesting article with some numbers:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/the-value-of-lives-saved-by-social-distancing-outweighs-the-costs/

While we’re being distracted with the mortality rate, while you’re distracted figuring out what percentage of us are dying, what is going on? What is our elected officials (not leaders) doing? What are they doing? We panic because of a “highly contagious virus” with a mortality rate of 0.0018. What is the big picture? Hooray for you for protecting your neighbor!! Meanwhile, what are “they” up to?

11 hours ago, JMR said:

While we’re being distracted with the mortality rate, while you’re distracted figuring out what percentage of us are dying, what is going on? What is our elected officials (not leaders) doing? What are they doing? We panic because of a “highly contagious virus” with a mortality rate of 0.0018. What is the big picture? Hooray for you for protecting your neighbor!! Meanwhile, what are “they” up to?

370,000,000 X.0018 = 666,000 dead Americans.

If you want to talk about a real killer to the economy let's discuss what 666,000 dead Americans will do to the economy.

• Like 1

Been reading through some of the arguments and I know what I'm going to say has probably already been said. Comparing death rates across a broad spectrum of stuff that can kill you is senseless. The comparison has to be between the disease, trauma, and deaths that were predicted vs. those that were not. Across the world, healthcare systems are built around a very predictable case load. In the US, the only advanced economy where health benefits are not available to all citizens, the system was built around both predictable case load and profitability. When any healthcare system gets overwhelmed with cases that weren't planned for, it is a big problem. When that disruption to the model involves a highly contagious disease with no medically effective prevention or treatment, it is a major disaster (aka Pandemic). The folks fighting this virus on the front lines are no less heroic than the troops who have been sent into combat over the course of our history. Making any argument that pushes these daily case numbers higher is no different from making decisions to send more troops into combat during wartime. Those are decisions that can't be taken lightly.   

image.png.5b40188f734133aac013f24d963339e2.png  

I get the devastation this is having on our economy and I'm truly hurting for any individual or family who was already living paycheck-to-paycheck (been there myself in the past). I also have extreme sorrow for our small business owners who bust their assess year in and year out to get ahead in an economy driven by big business. I'll likely even be among the first to venture out once things do open up. What pisses me off more than anything though is seeing relief dollars aimed at industries and large corporations with trickle-down expectations. Why can't large corporations rely on capital preservation to get them through tough times? Why can't the government focus 100% of its relief at the end of the chain instead of much of it landing at the top of the chain? Maybe it's time to force big business to re-invent itself through these crises instead of worrying about what will happen to the stock market or to executive bonuses. Instead of culling the weak out of our human population, let's cull the weak out of big-business while taking care of the average Joe during a period of economic transformation. If that transformation results in fewer billionaires but many, many more upper-middle class wage earners / small business owners with hopes of becoming millionaires, then we will be doing our grandchildren and their grandchildren a huge favor.  

For those who want so horribly to see things get back to normal, I suggest taking a part-time housekeeping job paying $16 per hour in a New Orleans hospital that is being overrun with COVID-19 - no experience needed.      

• Like 3

The argument for bailing out big corporations is always that they are the job creators. In reality they are not the job creators the middle-class population are the real job creators. The middle class earners are the ones who buy most of the goods produced by the big corporations therefore they create the jobs, without consumer spending there is really no need for the jobs that the big corporations supposedly create. It's pretty simple really if you have no consumers you have no business therefore you have no jobs to be filled. The bailout in 2008 is what led to this bailout. None of those corporations should have been bailed out in 2008, but they were too big to fail. Now we have this bailout when we never really recovered from the 2008 bailout. Let's also understand that we were heading for a financial situation before Coronavirus all this did was accelerate the process. What frustrates me is that we weren't prepared when we could have been and when we needed to take action the so called leaders did very little to try and slow the spread and make sure we had all the necessary PPE for handling this situation, but they were able to pull 2.2 trillion dollars out of their asses to prop up corporations that should not have needed any bailout money. For the last decade the airline industry has been using 96% of their profits to buy back their stocks to bonus the CEO's executives and shareholders. I'd like to know how a company is supposed to function on a 4% profit margin. Like Throet stated the money would have had a bigger impact on saving the economy if it was pushed down to the public instead of up to the corporations.

Edited by Chief
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wife is pale, scots-irish descent, takes in 2800IU as a supplement daily, walks twice daily for a total of 4 miles and lays out twice weekly at 30 minutes each to tan.  Did her bloodwork wednesday and her vitamin D came back average/good. Think about that.

Keep taking in the Vitamin D for the win.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Albert locked this topic