Average deaths from obesity 

(worldwide)

c2.8 million

Unemployed due to Covid-19 (USA):

c30,300,000

Total confirmed Covid-19 deaths:

(worldwide)

c472,856

Every one of these causes of death has measures in place to prevent even more death from happening. Seatbelts, airbags, guardrails, harnesses, diet/exercise, and MASKS. For us all to have a better chance of living a long, healthy life we should buckle up, be careful in fall risk situations, eat right, and work as a civilized community to limit the spread of Covid. We shouldn't care about comparing death tolls to prove who's right or wrong. Less deaths from any of these causes would be a good thing, right?

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I see you're new to this cultural phenomenon called The Simpsons. keep up! Do I need to LMGTFY?

Just did! Sorry. I never watched the simpsons. Had it been an office reference, ida got it! Lol!

• Like 1

Hoping to shift the dialogue from mask / no-mask banter to a more meaningful discussion around the science behind COVID-19. I for one will not be living in fear no matter how bad this thing gets. Life remains good for me. However, I am curious about my odds. So my blood type is apparently the worse - A+ - but on the bright side I take Vitamin D daily, statin daily (possible therapeutic for COVID-19) and I'm on blood thinners (prevention for clotting). I'm 61 but incredibly fit for that age. Are the odds for me or against me should I come down with this disease, or is it really still just a crap shoot? Also what's the best way to get the anti-body test here locally, to find out if I've actually already had the damn thing and don't know it?    

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, throet said:

Hoping to shift the dialogue from mask / no-mask banter to a more meaningful discussion around the science behind COVID-19. I for one will not be living in fear no matter how bad this thing gets. Life remains good for me. However, I am curious about my odds. So my blood type is apparently the worse - A+ - but on the bright side I take Vitamin D daily, statin daily (possible therapeutic for COVID-19) and I'm on blood thinners (prevention for clotting). I'm 61 but incredibly fit for that age. Are the odds for me or against me should I come down with this disease, or is it really still just a crap shoot? Also what's the best way to get the anti-body test here locally, to find out if I've actually already had the damn thing and don't know it?    

Wife and I have asked ourselves these same questions.

Both in our early-mid 40s, reasonably fit with low BMI , no pre-existing conditions. Both exercise, eat right and take 2-5k IU of vitamin D daily plus I work outside and she lays out to tan. Like you, both have pondered if we've been exposed at some point. Wife came down with flu-like illness after a friend from out of state came to visit in late Feb. Lots of coughing, fever, sleep and time away from work. She's had the flu in the past but never had an illness come back again after a week with no symptoms. Went to doctor, had flu test and was negative. We think we can weather the storm, but my real concern would be the after effects and damage the virus does to the lungs and vascular system. It would suck to get it, live, and then have poor health afterwards. It at times does truly seem like a crapshoot.

City has halted the tests for asymptomatic people and for that matter the tests aren't refined enough to give me any real confidence at the moment.

Osterholm from CIDRAP is working on a project to answer some of these questions with actual DATA vs hypothesis. Worth a listen IMHO.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/podcasts-webinars

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

Now this is a topic I'd love to see discussed in more detail with quality info and....without devolving into name-calling and vitriol.

I'm in between you guys.  I'm closer to 50 with A- blood type.  I too am pretty fit with a low BMI and take a variety of regular vitamins (D, Zinc, Magnesium, Olive leaf extract and C-Silver).  I'm also (reluctantly) being treated for very mild hypertension for the past 2 yrs.  Like a few others, we had a flu-like sickness roll through 3 of our family members in late January.  But honestly, it was fairly mild.  I don't *really* think it was covid, but we did all tested negative for flu/strep.  However, my mom in San Antonio had pretty major flu-like symptoms around that same time (we were never in contact) and was also negative for flu/strep.  Her symptoms very much matched what later came to look like Covid symptoms.  So about 3 weeks ago I paid for her to get the Quest Labs anti-body test in hopes that she had in fact had it.  It came back negative.  I don't fully trust the test, but its another minor data point.  I'm planning on trying to get her to another test option at some point soon.

Cheers,
CJB

• Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 10:43 AM, CBaron said:

...So about 3 weeks ago I paid for her to get the Quest Labs anti-body test in hopes that she had in fact had it.  It came back negative.  I don't fully trust the test, but its another minor data point.  ...

Are these tests more reliable now? I remember reading the antibody tests were particularly inaccurate.

The covid tests are improving, but still have plenty of false negatives. False positives are rare, so a positive result means you probably do have it, while a negative result means "test again".

• Like 1

Well, I'm no Dr but.....

I did a ton of research leading up to her antibody test.  Yes, for the most part it was the 'wild west' early on because the FDA had relaxed the guidelines.  Almost immediately a bunch of tests popped up from very sketchy originators.  However, that didn't mean that legit players were not out putting their own tests together.  I use to be able to quote the best ones...but there were 2 tests that were leading the way and 1 of them was the first to get a real FDA approval.  But you had to have a Dr or medical access to get them done.  The Quest Labs test was available for public purchase ($120) and they had a reputation to uphold due to them being a testing center for all kinds of testing.  IMHO they too were not trying to get shortcuts.  They did receive and emergency use authorization and fell into proper compliance once the FDA began to crack down on the bad actors by re-introducing tighter controls.  All that said, the Quest Labs test had a decent margin of error, but not outstanding like the other two I mentioned earlier.  I tend to think her test was accurate, but since she is a high-risk candidate, I'm up for trying to get her a few test to triangulate her outcome.

I know I just said a bunch of nothing....but to directly answer your initial question:  I do think, in general, the antibody test will be improving quickly since the FDA has required the tighter controls andn reporting in order to maintain FDA approval for use.  Just use one of the bigger named testing companies.  One of them (from Europe) was touting a near 99.8% efficacy.

LAter,
CJB

• Like 2

Why can't you leave the mask shit in the other thread?  People were happy to have a place to discuss other stuff without this crap being brought back here.

Here's a lawyer's take on those phony ADA cards.  TL;DR:  all you need is a reasonable accommodation, which can mean someone will bring your shit out to your car.

His take, 'This all adds up to "We do not have to grant you the accommodation you request if doing so would make is unsafe for others in a manner that poses a real threat" which, considering guidance from the CDC and orders stating masks are required, tends to support "No mask, no shop."'

The whole thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/boozybadger/status/1262456063565139971

Anyone pulling that card out without an actual respiratory problem is no different than the people with the fake service animal cards.  You are abusing the ADA for your selfish purposes.  Feel free make a scene and throw your stuff on the aisle.  I'll be looking forward to the video.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheX said:

I wear a mask if the store requires it, but I'll just leave this here for those tht don't think they should have too.

106694202_10218949559234213_6279025384251499851_n.jpg

If you understood the ADA you'd know that:

A. This is not real: https://www.ada.gov/covid-19_flyer_alert.html or this https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/department-justice-warns-inaccurate-flyers-and-postings-regarding-use-face-masks-and

B. You'd also know that the ADA does not require a store to suspend safety rules for the disabled. All a store has to do is provide accommodation. This could mean sending an employee around the store with your shopping list, gathering your groceries, taking them out to you, taking your money into the store and providing your change.

People need to stop interpreting what the ADA rules and regulations mean and start actually reading them. There is no qualification in the ADA that says a store has to allow you in without a mask because of your disability. If you have a true disability then the store cannot discriminate and has to do business with you, but in a near term they have to make accommodations. For instance if your store aisles are too narrow for a wheelchair you don't get to bring in the sledge hammers and start swinging. They have to accommodate you, but they do not need to change their store NOW. Especially not in a pandemic.

Please don't spread this around it is just as bad as those fake ADA cards also circulating.

• Like 2

• Albert locked this topic