IGNORED

COVID-19...Preparation, or hysteria?

TheX

Went for a walk with the dogs and wife last night. It was kind of weird considering how nice the weather was. Typically on a night like last night we'd see many other people out walking with their kids and dogs. We walked around the neighborhood for about 40 minutes and saw nobody until we were getting back to the house, we saw a father with his dog and kids. I'm thinking being outside is the safest place to be.

• Like 3

I am heading to the hospital today for a pre-check before my surgery next Tuesday. Luckily it is out patient. I'm better off getting it done now ahead of the mess that is on it's way. If you were going into a more invasive surgery that will include time spent in the hospital for recovery I'd totally re-think. Especially anything that will reduce immunity. I'm sure that surgeons are all on top of this and weighing the odds, but you need to have a serious discussion.

Niece is home sick in NYC, she thinks she has it. Boyfriend in Long Island is also sick as well. 

This thing is gonna get a lot worse before it gets better, primarily because we, as a country, have been conditioned for the past 3 years not to trust the media on one side and been continually hammered with daily lies on the other side. Neither side trusts information and we are getting so little of it.

If you extrapolate Italy's numbers on our population you get ~50K infected and ~2,500 deaths. But just look at how stupid we are as a people. There are Americans who are getting tested, waiting on results, and still running around in public. 

The number will explode not because infections are exploding but because testing is increasing.

Happy that I will be sequestered at home anyway due to my hernia surgery. No huge concern on the immunity and I only need ~2 hours of recovery time at the hospital.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

If things get shut down, people are fantasizing about all the TV they are going to watch. Sounds like a good excuse to go do trail work to me.

It is good to get out on your bike. Solo rides keep you healthy, which is an important part of staving off the illness.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

If you think people are over-reacting, remember: it's not about you. You might have a strong immune system that can fight it off, but if you're a vector who takes it to someone else who can't, you're an asshole.

#staythefuckhome

My biggest concern is overwhelming a healthcare system that by design is only built to care for 65% of the population under normal circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We're somewhat fortunate to be living were we are geographically, meaning the Austin area. They just announced two presumptive cases in Travis county, a 30 year old woman and a 60 year old man. The woman self quarantined and the man is hospitalized. The man was transferred from another hospital and the woman had just gotten back from Houston. She's going to be more of a concern then the man will. So back to being fortunate, we're in an environment that can allow people to easily work from home and remotely. This thing has been exploding in the denser populations and we're just starting to see potential actual cases thus giving us a little bit more time to prepare and educate ourselves about how to slow down the spread. We are not going to be able to stop this anytime soon, but if we can prevent it from spiking we have a much better chance of coming out the other side good. So basically if you're feeling run down maybe a little warm and have a new dry cough, don't be an alpha asshole and keep going about your life like it's just a cold STAY IN YOUR F@CKING HOUSE! We've become such a selfish society and that's going to be the nail in the coffin if we don't check ourselves and our egos.

This has been a public service announcement. Thank you😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief said:

Went for a walk with the dogs and wife last night. It was kind of weird considering how nice the weather was. Typically on a night like last night we'd see many other people out walking with their kids and dogs. We walked around the neighborhood for about 40 minutes and saw nobody until we were getting back to the house, we saw a father with his dog and kids. I'm thinking being outside is the safest place to be.

I'm hoping this is the case if I sneak out for a quick lunch ride today. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

My office was basically evacuated around 3:20 this afternoon. We typically don't permit much telecommuting, so next week will test the limits.

So many jobs don't require presence at the office.  Hopefully everyone starts getting on with the times.  I have lab work that requires me at work sometimes, but mostly I can work remotely form anywhere (example, car dealership service department, kids' appointments, dr. offices, or just plain home).

• Like 1

Self employed, and work outside every day.  Interact with people only on a minimal basis. On the downside, my savings is my sick leave and thats finite.

Wife works in state government and is going to be working from home for a week or two.

Edited by ATXZJ

Primarily retired. When I do work I work from home. Been this way since ~2013, with one short stint back in the office (it was not good).

Because of my upcoming surgery I have avoid all human contact. I cannot risk getting sick because if my window slides out a couple of weeks it may be decided that it is too risky to be around a hospital for a non-life threatening surgery. But riding is life, so not having the surgery IS life threatening. The only upside is all of the rain that is on its way. That will make it easier to lay in a bed with a bag of frozen peas on my gut.

• Like 3

My company is global and Europe and Asia offices have been working from home for a couple weeks now. 

Thursday we tested America offices (50% of the company) and our VPN locked up. Got all the sorted out and now we’re expecting to work from home for the next month or two. I WFH a few days a week so no issues with me. That said, I don’t think the virus itself is what’s threatening the globe, I think it’s societies knee jerk reaction to it. 

I also have a tin foil hat on and think this was man made by global powers, or at the very minimum allowed to escape China with relative ease, to oust the US president in an election year in an effort to send America back to being everyone bitch. Throw Saudi into the mix as they saw an opportunity to drown the globe with oil to add to the hysteria, it’s all adding up. Regardless of how I feel about this loony president, I think this is the case. 

I went to HEB lakeline at 6am this morning and it was nuts. Literally zero produce and meat on the shelves. Got enough stocked up for a couple weeks if need be. Next stop is total wine here in about 15 minutes to get booze. Once I get that, I’m coasting with plenty of ammo. 

8 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

I went to HEB lakeline at 6am this morning and it was nuts. Literally zero produce and meat on the shelves. Got enough stocked up for a couple weeks if need be. Next stop is total wine here in about 15 minutes to get booze. Once I get that, I’m coasting with plenty of ammo. 

They were the same is Hays county. Even canned beans were non existent......insane

F@ck going to HEB. Sprouts and target have plenty of supplies, for now.

We decided about 10 years ago to have every single IT Operations (systems, networking, etc.) team member set up to work from home. We deployed hundreds of Cisco routers that use DM VPN to connect our datacenters. That means having a wired and wireless connections that each physical location has. It also lets us use our normal Cisco 8865 video phones. If I'm in the office, my extension works there, if I'm at home...it follows me. My laptop connects to wireless whether I'm at home, in the office, or in one of our remote locations here or in Europe. It's expensive, but worth it for what we do.

We use VMWare Horizon to provide VDI (virtual Win 10 desktops) for most of our thousands of employees also.

This has been a non-event for us, but only because I've been through too many emergencies, and now plan for everything that I can think might happen.

• Like 1

I also have a tin foil hat on and think this was man made by global powers, or at the very minimum allowed to escape China with relative ease, to oust the US president in an election year in an effort to send America back to being everyone bitch. Throw Saudi into the mix as they saw an opportunity to drown the globe with oil to add to the hysteria, it’s all adding up. Regardless of how I feel about this loony president, I think this is the case. 

Let me get this straight. This global pandemic that is going to kill a lot of people in every country was brought about as an attack on the US? This is all about us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

Let me get this straight. This global pandemic that is going to kill a lot of people in every country was brought about as an attack on the US? This is all about us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could have been squashed in china with the swiftness, but seeing the only sacrificial lambs are elderly people, China let this spread like wildfire and the media is pumping it as hard as possible. This sends the market and jobs to a screeching halt, oil markets fall out of the bottom, and everyone is in complete panic. 

All in a US election year while congress drags their feet to get relief to the America people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Albert locked this topic