IGNORED

Fork rebuild: local or send to Fox?

Yup, that's where I'm at.  My fork --  Fox 32/Float 29 -- was assessed by the Fox guys at a mtn bike festival to have no compression OR rebound.  Fox rebuilds "like new" for $175.   What are your local experiences?  Would a local shop just order a rebuild kit and go from there?

Does the rebuild do nitrogen recharge?  There are only a few shops that can do that.  BSS (I forget which one) recently got certified.  I sent my old Talas to Fox.  It was $400 but mine had worn kashima coating so it required new uppers/crown which was more than $200 by itself.  It is like a brand new fork.

2 hours ago, June Bug said:

Thanks, AB.  I checked the PUSH site; for Fox, they only work on Fox 36's from 2015 and newer.   Mine is a 32 and may be older. 

I'll check in with my go-to guy, Joe at Monkey Wrench.

Forks older then 2013ish are no longer supported by Fox. There is a guy that will custom machine parts for them and rebuild them though. Let me know if it comes to that.

Also, Joe is a hack I wouldn't trust with a Huffy.

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Does the rebuild do nitrogen recharge?  There are only a few shops that can do that.  BSS (I forget which one) recently got certified.  I sent my old Talas to Fox.  It was $400 but mine had worn kashima coating so it required new uppers/crown which was more than $200 by itself.  It is like a brand new fork.

No nitrogen in forks, just rear shocks. Also, the nitrogen will only benefit riders that are pushing their stuff pretty hard, plain old air is fine for the rest of us.

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

cycle progression for local suspension service. that is all.

Tim moved to Cycle East. Not sure who CP has doing their stuff now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, June Bug said:

Yup, that's where I'm at.  My fork --  Fox 32/Float 29 -- was assessed by the Fox guys at a mtn bike festival to have no compression OR rebound.  Fox rebuilds "like new" for $175.   What are your local experiences?  Would a local shop just order a rebuild kit and go from there?

IMHO, I had one of those early float 29s and if you have to pay much over $100, i'd move on to something else. You can find a leftover or used non-boost reba, revelation or preferably pike for under $300. I stick with RS because they are stone simple to service.

9 hours ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

Tim moved to Cycle East. Not sure who CP has doing their stuff now.

good to know

1 hour ago, TAF said:

In your opinion. I wouldn't go near em.

sorry to hear that TAF. Tim helped me out with an avalanche damper issue and was cool to deal with.

Edited by ATXZJ

9 hours ago, June Bug said:

We do have an unused Reba sitting around somewhere, and haven't moved to Boost yet. I'll evaluate that as an option. 

If the fork does not have 110mm spacing, I don't thing boost is an option. Replacing the lowers, maybe? That seems more expensive than it's worth 

22 hours ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

Also, Joe is a hack I wouldn't trust with a Huffy

This is blasphemy. You should be banned from this forum AND all trails within the great state of Texas. Unless you are kidding which you must be.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bamwa said:

This is blasphemy. You should be banned from this forum AND all trails within the great state of Texas. Unless you are kidding which you must be.

Joe tried to have a customer return a bike to me because he didn't know how to remove a bottom bracket. Scumbag salesman in my book. Take your chances.

On 3/15/2020 at 2:40 PM, Bamwa said:

I'm sure he had his reasons.

I know his reasons. I've talked to him about it, he tried to claim my shop installed it wrong. I also talked to a friend who happened to be at MW when the bike came back actually fixed about Joe's rant about how shitty I was. And have talked to a former ME employee about how you learn to always double check Joe's work.

I've heard Joe is a nice guy, and he seems to have a passion for bikes so I can't blame people for giving him a few bucks, but he tried to insult my work and attempted to make his mistakes cost me money. 

1 hour ago, Big_papa_nuts said:

I know his reasons.

I know this story well. it was quite shitty. stripped out BB cup because he did not know how to use a BB tool, then blames it on another shop for properly torquing a BB. 29 foot-pounds. I don't know if that is par for the course with that shop, but it left a really bad impression.

on that note, after working with BPN for the better part of two years and then seeing the relative disregard for quality, professionalism, and attention to detail I saw at a few other shops (one of which I tried to get a job and refused, another I worked for one month and quit because it was so bad), it's a wonder that bike shops avoid being sued into oblivion. I went into a well-known shop one day for an interview and watched a mechanic work on a $10k bike like he was making a PB+J sandwich. I know PB+J is an art form to some people, but this was just plain sloppy.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Thanks 1

I had an issue with a mechanic once at a shop that I was trying for the first time. That experienced soured me so much that when he went to a larger shop I actually told the service manager that if he ever touched my bike, even to move it out of the way, I would never use them again. He got the message. I think he is still there but at a different location. A good mechanic is like gold, and when you find one you need to make sure that a 6-pack is always handy when you pick it up.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, AustinBike said:

A good mechanic is like gold, and when you find one you need to make sure that a 6-pack is always handy when you pick it up.

This needs to be said and repeated again and again.

But I think it applies to most everything that requires skill, knowledge and professionalism. That includes doctors, lawyers, teachers, mechanics, tech support etc etc etc.

9 minutes ago, cxagent said:

But I think it applies to most everything that requires skill, knowledge and professionalism. That includes doctors, lawyers, teachers, mechanics, tech support etc etc etc.

and bar tenders. ever have one who doesn't know how to pour a Guinness? Atrocious!

4 hours ago, cxagent said:

What, no love for technology analysts??? I may need to shut off your interwebz...yeah, we know how to do stuff....