IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

Yeah, spoke to my dad today. He's in a retirement place in Chicago. Complaining that they are on total lockdown. No leaving the building except for doctor's appointments. Dining room shut down, they have to pick up their meals and eat upstairs in their rooms.

Thought it was extreme. Then I told him about the place in Chicago (Willowbrook) that had 44 cases discovered yesterday. That kinda woke him up. If it breaks out there, they will not let you leave the place, your stuck for the long haul like one of those cruise ships, they only let you out when they need to take you to life support.

Number of cases was at 9,400 this morning, went up to 11,200 and I saw that it went up again while I was on the phone with him. Anyone that was trying to minimize this is about to get a huge jolt over the next 96 hours as the testing capability is starting to expand. These won't be new cases, they will be cases we are simply discovering.

Ugh. I need a drink.

• Like 1

I'm curious as to what might happen in the great prison system our country has considering we have the highest incarceration rate of any country. Iran recently released 85,000 prisoners. Who knows how this might play out. Once this virus gets into the prison population the numbers are going to explode.

• Like 1

this whole thing is exposing a LOT of shortcomings. our prison and jail systems are among those. perhaps that is the silver lining: the possibility that we'll become more aware of the fragility of these systems and how the vulnerable suffer from them. I just read an op-ed about this, but it might be "too political" for the forum. I'll link you to it if you PM me.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, crazyt said:

They just believe the risk outweighs the benefits for some diseases like measles which arent that bad even if you do get them.

Wanted to address a few things in your post -- nothing personal. 

Measles isn't bad unless it's bad. Please don't ever think it's an innocuous illness; it's one of the most contagious illnesses around. You don't see the potential for damage because who gets measles anymore? By 2000, it was almost eradicated in the US.  It's incredibly bad for infants, the immuno-compromised and those who acquire it in adulthood. It's suppresses the immune system for quite a long period of time after the illness has passed (immune amnesia).  It can rear it's ugly head much later in life as shingles.  Fortunately a recent,  96%  effective vaccine  (Shingrix 2-shot series) has been developed for shingles.  Any person over 60 should be getting it. 

The vaccine is MMR, Measles, Mumps, Rubella.  Rubella can cause devastating birth defects and miscarriages if acquired during early pregnancy.  

These are all viral illnesses. Unlike bacteria, there is, as far as I know, no virus that is beneficial to its host. 

Moving on to polio.  It, too, is caused by a virus.  Polio still exists in various parts of the world and polio vaccination is still recommended and required in some areas of the US before a child begins school.   The polio vaccine was introduced in 1955.  Every parent in the US was incredibly grateful for this; polio was an utterly terrifying disease when I was a young child and every one of us knew what an iron lung was.  Every school-aged child was vaccinated. I've known three people who survived polio as a child with subsequent disabling conditions.  Polio is another illness that can re-emerge later in life as post-polio syndrome, which can also be disabling. 

Anti vaxxers.  Gah.  

Rant off.  Going for a mellow  bike ride.  

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Complaining that they are on total lockdown. No leaving the building except for doctor's appointments.

Austin Bike, I got a notification from MediCare on Tuesday or so that MediCare has now approved tele-appointments.  Not realizing that, I had just called and left a message at my primary care physician's office to see if I could do an appt by phone. It all worked out -- I talked to her yesterday and she was able to prescribe appropriately.  She's safer, I'm safer and her office assistant is safer.  She's a solo practitioner with a waiting room the size of a postage stamp; I really didn't want to go in. She does have great magazines, though.  Anyway, it's safer to talk by phone if possible, rather than sit in a waiting room with potentially sick people. 

I truly hope your father, and all of us,  stay well through all this. 

I take it seriously.  How seriously? I'm getting ready to update my will (no, nobody is getting written out), set up advanced  medical directives and have a  second person lined up with medical power of attorney in case my husband is unable to carry out those decisions -- no extreme measure or life support.  Just hoping to survive until a vaccine is developed or an existing medication is found to be effective. 

• Like 2

Glad I have all that paperwork in order. Was supposed to have a surgery this week but ditched it, long story. They make you fill in all the forms saying who has your will and do you have directives. The shit gets real when you answer those questions.

Glad you were able to use telemedicine, I think that will be a huge benefit in keeping non-sick people out of the hospitals. Many of the people who are going to the hospitals do not have symptoms, they are just scared. Telemedicine can help with that.

• Like 1

Shopping update as of 4:36 pm on THURSDAY, March 19.  Went out for a spin and decided to bike through the Domain (pretty deserted) and check out the Domain Whole Foods parking lot.  Very few cars, like "Where is everybody?"  .  From a very respectful 8' distance, I asked two ladies unloading groceries if they had any trouble finding anything and if the store was fully stocked.  No trouble finding anything and the store was fully stocked. 

Seniors (me) can shop for an hour before the store officially opens.  I'll be there at 7 am tomorrow to stock up for two or three weeks.  Jeebus I hate to support Jeff Bezos these days, but I don't want to go to HEB and I want to get some fresh produce. 

Might be time to start a separate Instant Pot thread.  Back in the day on Mojo, I recall a winter crock pot thread. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2

Just now, June Bug said:

Shopping update as of 4:36 pm on Friday, March 19.  Went out for a spin and decided to bike through the Domain (pretty deserted) and check out the Domain Whole Foods parking lot.  Very few cars, like "Where is everybody?"  .  From a very respectful 8' distance, I asked two ladies unloading groceries if they had any trouble finding anything and if the store was fully stocked.  No trouble finding anything and the store was fully stocked. 

Seniors (me) can shop for an hour before the store officially opens.  I'll be there at 7 am tomorrow to stock up for two or three weeks.  Jeebus I hate to support Jeff Bezos these days, but I don't want to go to HEB and I want to get some fresh produce. 

Might be time to start a separate Instant Pot thread.  Back in the day on Mojo, I recall a winter crock pot thread. 

F@ck amazon prime foods.  FWIW, Sprouts has been good to us through this.

I've been in two different HEBs and we just got back from Walmart. Most of the proteins were very picked over, as well as the canned goods (both meats and vegetables), but the rest of the stock was pretty normal. Produce was normal everywhere.

It was interesting at the Brodie HEB. Right inside the door they had a huge pallet of canned chili. "We're not even going to bother putting this on the shelf because we know this is what you are panic buying."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

Good to know.  A week ago they were business as usual and not very busy.  When did you go there?

Saturday afternoon. We use the one on william cannon & manchaca. They also now have online shopping and delivery. No booze though. We've been using sprouts for almost a decade across three states and been pretty happy with them.

We're doing curbside from HEB when we have to, and they are 1 week out minimum.

Edited by ATXZJ

6 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Good for you.

Eighteen years ago I just up and walked out of religion one Sunday morning... And I've never looked back.

Never was religious. Just placed there in 6th grade because my parents figured it would do me some good. As expected I took it about as seriously as I did flag pledge in public school and was kindly asked to leave, yet again😁

42 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Saturday afternoon. We use the one on william cannon & manchaca. They also now have online shopping and delivery. No booze though. We've been using sprouts for almost a decade across three states and been pretty happy with them.

We're doing curbside from HEB when we have to, and they are 1 week out minimum.

Went to Sprouts today. They had most of the stuff we buy, since we're vegan and healthy.

• Like 1

Sitting on my ass drinking, eating chips and catching up on movies I've missed. The last 15 minutes of "Once upon a time in Hollywood" made me laugh. The phone and can of dogfood being used as a weapon was great, but the dog was even better.

Wife was not impressed🤣

IMG_20200318_113758102.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2