IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

8 minutes ago, June Bug said:

Watch the Lincoln McConaughey ice fishing ad carefully.  I realized that it was edited in a way that made it seem as though he was on location. Pretty sure he wasn't. 

The concept of a Texas boy ice fishing by himself is questionable at best.

• Like 2

Central Market had a line outside over to the beauty supply store. Letting in 5 people at a time. It was surreal, very nerve wracking. Since my wife normally does the shopping I was out of my element and also shopping for my in-laws that should not be in stores.

"I've got some groceries, some peanut butter, to last a couple of days."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

It was surreal, very nerve wracking.

After almost 5 days at home had to make a call for work, taking me to Bastrop yesterday.  Stopped in to the Specs to restock and they had the 6ft rule in place and there were only 8-12 people total in there including myself. I was gloved up and trying to keep my distance from the clerk who was pushing 70 y/o. When I asked WTF the oldest guy was doing working the register, he replied that he was the only one willing to work. Damn.

TBT, I couldn't GTFO of that place fast enough. On the bright side, I bought almost $150 worth of beer and cava😁

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

After almost 5 days at home had to make a call for work, taking me to Bastrop yesterday.  Stopped in to the Specs to restock and they had the 6ft rule in place and there were only 8-12 people total in there including myself. I was gloved up and trying to keep my distance from the clerk who was pushing 70 y/o. When I asked WTF the oldest guy was doing working the register, he replied that he was the only one willing to work. Damn.

TBT, I couldn't GTFO of that place fast enough. On the bright side, I bought almost $150 worth of beer and cava😁

Now we know where to go when the shit really hits the fan

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

I am so terrible at picking out good avocados that I finally defaulted to store-bought guac.  It's not my go-to fave food though.  Sprouts was out of Brown Cow cream on top, chocolate on the bottom yogurt; that made me briefly sad. 

Whatever you do, don't squeeze them unless you know what you're doing.  Most people don't.    You'll ruin them for everyone else.  That's terrible advice for Haas avocado (the most kind with the wrinkled skins that turns black).  Buy them green, away from where the people have been squeezing them.  Store in the fridge, pull out a couple of days before you want one (or all).   Once they turn mostly to all black they'll be good.

The squeezing thing is basically enough to compress the flesh on your fingers.  Very light squeeze.  You shouldn't make a dent in the avocado.  If it starts giving at all at the same time as your flesh is compressing (not even a mm) then it's ready.   But I don't even use this method b/c it's so easy to just do the above method with the Haas avocados.  I avoid buying "need them for today" avocados.

Every once in a while you'll get a green one that when it ripens, and when you open it, you can clearly see the finger indentations.   It's still all mostly good and usually the bad stuff stays stuck to the skin.  Eat the rest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Whatever you do, don't squeeze them unless you know what you're doing.  

I'm gonna print all of that and frame it.

pro tip: HEB sells decent pre-made guac, but the regular stuff is a bit too tangy and salty for my taste. I want to taste the avocado, not a bunch fo salt and onion. the "avocado spread" is cheaper and tastes like proper guac.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, crazyt said:

While antivaxxers believe the risk from the vaccine is higher than it is, they arent wrong to believe there is risk from the vaccine that is comparable to the risk from the disease.

But the vast majority of them are extremely wrong in what the effects of those risks are.  That's the big problem with 99.9% of the anti-vaxxers out there.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

But the vast majority of them are extremely wrong in what the effects of those risks are.  That's the big problem with 99.9% of the anti-vaxxers out there.

My wife was a school administrator and had to deal with parents of students who refused to vax. they see something on FB and assume its true and then proceed to put 2499 other students at risk because their kid is special. 

those parents usually pull their kids and homeschool them anyway. as a bonus those kids will never leave home and will live isolated in the basement for the remainder  of their sheltered lives.

Edited by ATXZJ

18 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

pro tip: HEB sells decent pre-made guac, 

My favorite made-in-store is actually from Randall's. Usually found in the produce section, on the cold shelves, says 'Made in Store' in big letters. They don't short you on the avocado chunks, and no excessive lemon or garlic, either.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I have standards, that's all. Fake-ass green goo in a bag is not guac. Admitting you eat that is like admitting you drink White Claw.

LOL... Oy vey... Good for you... Stick to your "...standards..."... More for me... And other sensible people who've been eating avocados — and things you make with avocados — for over 50 years.

• Haha 1