IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

23 minutes ago, TheX said:

The media puts the slant on their reporting, based on the slant of the people paying the bills. 

11 minutes ago, The Tip said:

True. But is that what real journalism is about? Does that make the national media any different from folks that re-post things they see on Facebook?

I would say that everyone has a slant based on how they approach a story or what they choose to publish/not publish. This is understandable and you should take all media with a grain of salt. However, there are other instances where outright lies are being told. That is a big problem with how we have ended up in the situation that we are in today.

As to Facebook, that should not be media. If it were up to me it should be disbanded because it is doing more harm than good. But, sadly, for some, this is their only way to communicate, so we are stuck with it. I would love an "account time out" for the real abusers and the people that post things that turn out to be true. If you thought that re-posting something might get you blocked for 24 hours you might be more interested in checking to see if it is real or not.

• Like 1

I thought about that last night and then remembered how close to BC we are.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That’s true. I guess my lazy ass could pedal to the trails. There shouldn’t be any car traffic to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

The art of sacrifice for the greater good is out the window these days.

Meaning... Proper community is no longer practiced... Community being common unity regarding the best interest of the participating people... Which requires a willingness to give up — sacrifice — self interest in order to accomplish an outcome that these participating people have together identified as the greater (common) good.

This is practically impossible to achieve these day.

Why?

Vision... Or lack of it... In a common context.

Proverbs 29:18... "Where there is no vision, the people cast off restraint; But happy is he who keeps the law.”

3 hours ago, The Tip said:

And no wonder why we have less and less faith in most of our media outlets. 

Me trying find the truth these days is similar to when I would create new recipes for the restaurant. I would go to three or four different recipe books to see how THEY made a certain ethic dish. I would see what were the common ingredients to all the recipes and start from there.

So now with the news, if I see a story, I will find out if two or three different sources say the same thing before I believe it.

There ya go... Above is an example of testing stuff.

But of course you need to hope that the two or three different sources are themselves correct... Or your concluding "...belief..." will certainly be missing the mark.

So now you need to test the sources... And then test the sources that you used to test the sources... And around and around we go.

Every heard of this phrase... It's not just applicable to government.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.23.17 PM.png

Edited by RidingAgain

18 hours ago, The Tip said:

So, has everyone heard, "the masks will not prevent you getting it. Only the sick should wear them."
Right? You've heard this?

So why is the medical community clamoring for these same masks? 

I had that thought today.

there are different kind of masks. Surgical masks protect people around the wearer. N95 masks (officially they are called respirators) protect the wearer.

To some extent both offer a little of the opposite protection just by being a barrier.

the people that kicked this off conflated surgical masks with n95 masks.

The medical establishment mainly wants n95 respirators.

N95 masks will definitely protect you. The problem is your chance of coming into contact with it is so low, you wasted a mask when you wouldnt have gotten it anyway.  At a statistical level, you using a respirator to protect yourself does nothing to stop the spread (since most people arent using them). So to some extent it is the truth that they arent effective.

If everyone wore an n95 when they went out, in two to four weeks the virus would disappear.

Edited by crazyt

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

True. But is that what real journalism is about? Does that make the national media any different from folks that re-post things they see on Facebook?

John 18:38... "Pilate said to Him, What is truth?"

The age old question.

NOTE... My quoting scripture isn't for religious purposes, as I am no lover of folly religion... I think scripture is applicable because it's been around for 2,000 years of human history and has been utilized in one form or another in human governmental efforts. For me, take away the religiosity and I see lots of wisdom in what scripture says.

Here's a quote related to media that I came across many, many years ago that I thought was, well, somewhat profound and ironic at the same time...

quote-put-it-before-them-briefly-so-they-will-read-it-clearly-so-they-will-appreciate-it-picturesquely-joseph-pulitzer-23-71-82.jpg

22 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Meaning... Proper community is no longer practiced... Community being common unity regarding the best interest of the participating people... Which requires a willingness to give up — sacrifice — self interest in order to accomplish an outcome that these participating people have together identified as the greater (common) good.

This is practically impossible to achieve these day.

Why?

Vision... Or lack of it... In a common context.

Proverbs 29:18... "Where there is no vision, the people cast off restraint; But happy is he who keeps the law.”

this is so ironic after the huge dont modify the trail threads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

As to Facebook, that should not be media. If it were up to me it should be disbanded because it is doing more harm than good. But, sadly, for some, this is their only way to communicate, so we are stuck with it. I would love an "account time out" for the real abusers and the people that post things that turn out *NOT* to be true. If you thought that re-posting something might get you blocked for 24 hours you might be more interested in checking to see if it is real or not.

I added the *NOT* to the above statement. I suspect that is what was intended.  Otherwise, there would be a 'timeout' for posting correct information.

As far as today's "news media", I trust VERY little of it. I end up flipping back and forth between CNN and Fox. I am STUNNED at how the same story is presented in such different ways.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, cxagent said:

I added the *NOT* to the above statement. I suspect that is what was intended.  Otherwise, there would be a 'timeout' for posting correct information.

As far as today's "news media", I trust VERY little of it. I end up flipping back and forth between CNN and Fox. I am STUNNED at how the same story is presented in such different ways.

F@ck all corporate media. I get my information, or as much as I can from doctors and researchers that aren't in the hunt for views and clicks. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cxagent said:

Yeah. See that. Fake news 😉

This is why you should never listen to me.

9 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah. See that. Fake news 😉

This is why you should never listen to me.

OH BS AustinBike.

You are one of the people that post good info and back it up. Keep that crap up and you will be banned from the internet. Don't you know "It can't be on the internet if its true"?

(Everbody as a topy now and than.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyt said:

If everyone wore an n95 when they went out, in two to four weeks the virus would disappear.

I am going to call BS on this statement. 200,000 people infected worldwide, 10’s of thousands of deaths. The smartest people in science, medicine and government are working on this 24-7 and actually the answer is so simple that a guy on a mountain bike forum has an easy answer. Nope.

Now, I know you have a medical background and know way more about it than me, but statements like this are a big part of the problem. It literally cannot be this easy. It just can’t.