IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

Random stuff from the internet:  DudeIWantThat.com   TReGo Detachable Front Wheel Bike Trolley

And while we're on the topic of Leaps of Faith, guac and MSM, I started thinking about how refusing to self isolate is a form of Russian Roulette.  

We did a nice ride yesterday evening from the Parkfield/Braker area down Shoal Creek, gawked at the landslide that blocks the trail on the way to Pease Park and rode home.  We heard an owl, waved (from a appropriate distance) at other cyclists and walkers, saw gorgeous trees, felt good when we got home around 7:30. 

A Durango friend posted on facebook that San Juan County, CO (Silverton) has closed the backcountry to XC skiing.  They cannot risk extremely limited resources going to help someone in trouble in the backcountry and  (understandably) they don't want outsiders bringing them The Corona. 

I'd give WC at least a few more days to dry out. 

After a rough patch at Christmas, a Peloton  exercise bike is starting to look pretty good. 

Just now, ATXZJ said:

We're on our own for now, and really all you can do is behave as if you, and everyone around you has it.  At current projections, that might be true by summer if we don't get the dumbf@cks acting like everything is fine in check.

Or by the fall in the 2nd wave.  If we don't all get it by summer, we've done a good job spreading the curve.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, notyal said:

At least we can start to worry less about a meteor strike.

^

Dude, we used to live in Salt Lake City and still have friends back there. Last weeks earthquake really did a number on their heads. When the mormons saw that trumpet break apart and fall off the gold plated angel on their temple, they were sure it was/is the end times. They don't f@ck around up there. They are required to be certified in first aid and disaster training and have months supplies of food in basements. Not even get into the arsenals of weapons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheX said:

90935278_3224885660903103_7576965193733767168_n.thumb.jpg.b73b44c6a92dc81e410a6add13b8c009.jpg

The paper is dated January 27.  WHO (World Health Organization) didn't apply the COVID-19 designation until  February 11; the headline obviously refers to a virus happening in China. We're way down the road on this horror show and there's zero excuse for not being accurate about its official name now, especially from the bully pulpit of the presidency. 

You might, of course,  feel different if you were an Asian person getting blow back about it from pig ignorant asshole who thinks you automatically have CV 19 and it gives them the right to treat you horribly.  

• Like 4

Looks like some of us will have plenty of time to get into irrational conflating arguments tomorrow when Austin initiates a Shelter in Place order.

Austin American-Statesman: Coronavirus shelter-in-place will be issued Tuesday for Austin and Travis County.
https://www.statesman.com/news/20200323/coronavirus-shelter-in-place-orders-being-prepared-for-austin-travis-county

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheX said:

Do you eat Chinese food?

Chinese food is delicious and describes a regional cuisine.

COVID-19 kills people and is worldwide. Plus it has a real name.

I think you are smart enough to understand there is a difference there. 

• Like 6

We had the Hong Kong Flu, and the Spanish Flu. They had other names also, and the people calling by their country of origin are NOT racists.  This has been normal for many years. Suddenly, the snowflakes of today have decided that people that have a different opinion than they have, are racists. No different than my other thread about not selling guns to panic buyers. I got attacked for that, which made be seriously LOL.

It's the Wuhan/Chinese Virus, and guns are a good thing. 

Calling people racists because you don't like what they call something, is offensive. Racism is a real issue, and you people that throw the word around so loosely should be ashamed of themselves for calling people that. The world is a rough place, and people that forget to wear their big boy/girl pants get what they get. 

I'm not a racists, but I'm also not a po0sie. 

Have fun, peace out.

I'll leave one last note here and then sign off this thread.  The "Spanish Flu" didn't originate in Spain.   

Let's say that History.com is a legit site, but this information is available in other places: 

Why was it called the Spanish Flu?

...Spain was one of only a few major European countries to remain neutral during World War I. Unlike in the Allied and Central Powers nations, where wartime censors suppressed news of the flu to avoid affecting morale, the Spanish media was free to report on it in gory detail. News of the sickness first made headlines in Madrid in late-May 1918, and coverage only increased after the Spanish King Alfonso XIII came down with a nasty case a week later. Since nations undergoing a media blackout could only read in depth accounts from Spanish news sources, they naturally assumed that the country was the pandemic’s ground zero. The Spanish, meanwhile, believed the virus had spread to them from France, so they took to calling it the “French Flu.”

• Like 5

Did those of German descent react so negatively to "German Measles?"

Did people living along the Ebola River get mad about the name that originated in their region?

Are people in Lyme, Connecticut pissed when someone calls that disease by their town's name?

I wonder.

There is no reason to be offended by "Chinese" virus. But, if it is known that for whatever reason it DOES offend someone, and there's no harm in calling it something else, then another name should be used. The pot shouldn't be stirred just because it can be.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Did those of German descent react so negatively to "German Measles?"

Did people living along the Ebola River get mad about the name that originated in their region?

Are people in Lyme, Connecticut pissed when someone calls that disease by their town's name?

I wonder.

There is no reason to be offended by "Chinese" virus. But, if it is known that for whatever reason it DOES offend someone, and there's no harm in calling it something else, then another name should be used. The pot shouldn't be stirred just because it can be.

I can't answer any of your questions.

I can only say it's not about being offended, it's about real problems for people of Asian descent because to an ignorant fool, it doesn't matter whether you merely want to stubbornly call it by where it originated from--even though it has a technical name now (SARS-cov-2 for the virus, COVID-19 for the disease it causes).  By continuing to call it "Chinese" virus you are propagating the ignorance, even though you may know what it means and you may mean no harm by it.

I'll add one more more thing about an earlier post, if you have to say "I'm not racist" or "my best friend is a...[fill in the blank]" (latter one nobody here said but I thought of it while reading the former) you may want to consider what other people are saying instead of lashing out and calling them whatever term you chose for trying to indicate weakness.

Look up unconscious bias.  Yeah yeah...Lest y'all roll your eyes and think this is just about "poosays" being offended, then I can tell you that for me, it taught me to keep an open mind about others' opinions and feelings.  As a cyclist, I had an unconscious bias about certain drivers with goatees that smoked cigarettes.  Also before that, I had all sorts of biases having lived in Dallas too long (seems to be very homogeneous) until I moved to Austin.  I have friends that were vegetarian dove hunters (they feed them to other people of course), saw country types and hippie types sharing a joint at a Willie Nelson concert, and one of you here is a vegan gun enthusiast.

Nobody here is going to fix this mess unless you're in public health or working toward a vaccine or cure.   Take a step back from the keyboard.

If you want to feel like you're helping and you like puzzles, go play this protein folding game (I started yesterday):

https://fold.it

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

^

Dude, we used to live in Salt Lake City and still have friends back there. Last weeks earthquake really did a number on their heads. When the mormons saw that trumpet break apart and fall off the gold plated angel on their temple, they were sure it was/is the end times. They don't f@ck around up there. They are required to be certified in first aid and disaster training and have months supplies of food in basements. Not even get into the arsenals of weapons.

How are you gonna protect your four 13 year old wives WITHOUT an Arsenio Hall of weapons?

• Haha 2