IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

11 hours ago, The Tip said:

Did those of German descent react so negatively to "German Measles?"

Not necessarily but I bristle when people say "jerry rigged" because that is derogatory in my mind. When I grew up in Chicago there were a lot of n----- jokes and pollock jokes. All the time. But not any more. Times have changed. Let's acknowledge and move on.

The real issue is that suddenly calling this "the china flu" (or other variants) is all about placing blame. And Chinese people here in the US are getting beat up and harassed because of it.

Maybe if we all just try not to do things that make us dicks we'll be better off. Just call it what it is, corona virus or COVID. The only reason to start calling it something different is because you have an axe to grind. Let's be better than that. This is not a time for whataboutism, it's just a time for the country to come together to help beat this thing and calling too the china flu is not bringing us together, it is breaking us apart. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Not necessarily but I bristle when people say "jerry rigged" because that is derogatory in my mind.

And here is one of the problems in America these days. 

Jerry rigged, or sometimes jury rigged, with an interesting etymology https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/jerry-built-vs-jury-rigged-vs-jerry-rigged-usage-history  inexplicably offends YOU so I'M not allowed to use it. And if I do use it, not knowing that it offends you, then I am vilified for doing so. That is wrong.

I think we need just a little bit thicker skins. But saying all that, now knowing what I do about you, there is no reason for me to not say "slapped dashed" around you instead of jerry rigged. To say jerry rigged would just be confrontational. 

calling COVID-19 "the Chinese virus" now has racist connotations. the mature thing for adults to do would be to drop it and just use the proper, scientific name. we can argue about the origins of all kinds of terms in an effort to out-PC or out-offend other people, but that's not productive. y'all know better now. move on.

• Like 4

Haden't even considered calling it the "Chinese virus" not even from the beginning, not out of PC but I was like it's a virus from China. As a country that's feeding millions we're not much better in how we raise our food sources. This could have easily started right here in the US.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Jerry rigged, or sometimes jury rigged, with an interesting etymology https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/jerry-built-vs-jury-rigged-vs-jerry-rigged-usage-history  inexplicably offends YOU so I'M not allowed to use it. And if I do use it, not knowing that it offends you, then I am vilified for doing so. That is wrong.

I think we need just a little bit thicker skins. But saying all that, now knowing what I do about you, there is no reason for me to not say "slapped dashed" around you instead of jerry rigged. To say jerry rigged would just be confrontational. 

Oh wow that was interesting. I always thought "jerry" was slang for Irishman - not German - and I'm 3/4 German. Good to know. Anyway I lean towards using redneck riggin' for this one. Oh crap - did I just offend anybody? 

This is encouraging information. This is also the direction we should be heading. Hopefully the powers that be can stop their bickering and start working together. I'm appalled by the political interjection the news media puts into so many reports. We're too deep in this to be arguing about who's at fault. If we can't come together as not only a nation but a species the outcome is going to be grim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Zwifting is the mountain biking equivalent of eating store-made guac.

(Full disclosure:  I don't each guac or Zwift.  I just like to be a sarcastic a-hole sometimes.)

This just means when it’s cold dark and rainy, you get slower, and the dark side gets faster and enjoys chips and Guacamole after their Zwift Hammer fest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not wanting to take this corona thing lightly, so please don’t take this info that way.

I called the “covid non emergency” number, from Wilco.org, asked about shelter in place. (I don’t know about Travis county but I assume they go hand in hand). They said as of now a shelter in place has not been issued. When one is issued, all non essential businesses closed, and no nonessential going anywhere- among the essentials they listed for me was exercise.

Cycling, mtb, and (for me) trail running is totally exercise. Just practice social distancing, for bikers you could say stay a bike’s length away and cough into your own helmet.

Of course the trails are only good for extreme mud wrestling right now😆

• Like 3

Interesting that the fella in the above video began his speaking with a little intro on what's "...vital..."... Meaning "...vitality...", which he says is about "...life...".

It caught my attention because for some years now — and this might sound strange, but consider it a bit — I've tried to look at all situations I encounter during my daily living... From a POV of life vs. death... Rather than a POV of right vs. wrong.

Now when I say life vs. death, I don't mean in a physical context... I mean in a context that propagates one or the other in a psychological context related to any and all my daily living encounters... Life being that which brings about a positive, uplifting result... Death being that which brings about a negative, devolving result.

Now you might wonder what this has to do with a right and wrong POV and its application to daily encounters... Well, the problem is that right and wrong are more often than not influenced by individual preferences based on the knowledge base of the individual. And as we should all know... Individual knowledge base can vary considerably from person to person... Meaning, the individual's take on what's right and wrong will also vary considerably.

The fella in the video says that "...it's the right thing to do..." and then goes on to say "...why it's so absolutely vital to do...".

So what we see here is that, for him, regarding the matter he's speaking about, "...the right thing to do..." is governed by what is "...absolutely vital to do..."... Meaning, "...the right thing to do..." is being governed by a view towards life (though he might not have realized the connection).

The thinking being... Whatever will cause life to prevail is what dictates what is "...right to do...".

Now this is a deep matter that involves a huge paradigm shift in how humans think these days, so above I'm only touching the surface of it. But when I was reading the interaction between TheTip and AustinBike about what we call things (what terms we use and what's acceptable), I immediately thought about people trying to state what's "...right..." and what's "...wrong...", as opposed to what will cause the related parties to move forward in life — move forward in a positive, uplifting context, rather than a negative, devolving context.

And then I listened to the fella in the video and thought, "Oh, check that out... He's kind of speaking about it, just regarding a different subject matter."

Coincidences are interesting too.

And, here's a little bit of wisdom...

Deuteronomy 30:19... "...I call heaven and earth to witness against you today: I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse; therefore choose life that you and your seed may live,..."

The above is Moses advising the Israelites to "...choose life..." so that "...you and your seed may live...".

Which sounds like excellent advice.

In all that you do today... Don't be "...right..."... Be vital.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 9.41.17 AM.png

Edited by RidingAgain

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

Dad served in Germany post-war. They used to refer to things as jerry rigged because after the war Germans were short on spare parts and everything was rigged to make it work. 

All in we should just avoid saying stuff like that. There is no benefit in using it (except hostility) and no harm in not using it. It's all about growing up and understanding we're all in this one together.

• Like 2

One time at work some people came in late to a company lunch or something and I said "...they got gyped."  I never even thought about it as referring to a demographic (gypsies) and this lady at the table with me said it was offensive and I shouldn't say it.  I honestly had NO IDEA and I apologized.  Since then, I've never used that term again because there are a lot of different ways to say the same thing.  I've thought about saying "...they got totally fuc%ed" but that might be offensive too!  

Another funny story.  When I was in 2nd grade we had to write a story for English or something.  I was in a North Texas Catholic school and I sat down and wrote a great story about flying a fighter plane (F4U Corsair to be exact) over the pacific during WWII.  I included several comments about shooting down 'Japs' because I had done extensive reading on WWII and watched every episode of Black Sheep Squadron.  My teacher (nun) gave me an A but pointed out that I probably shouldn't use that term.  I would have been expelled if I did that today.  I had no idea that it was a derogatory term and I started to wonder if I should be offended at the term "Yank" or "Yankee".  Moral of the story is that most people aren't trying to stir up shit when they use a comment like that.  Many of them don't know that it might be offensive.  If they are trying to offend, they will find a way no matter how much people try and educate them.  In fact, it's the most educated that can deliver the most offensive comments.

• Like 2

I worked at AMD and before I was there the code names for products were old fighter/bomber planes. At one point there was a code name "Mosquito" that was a reference to the British bombers.

The guys at our fab didn't like the name and someone said stop being such a wuss. Then they explained that those were the planes that leveled Dresden in WWII.

Ouch. That conference call was pretty touchy after that. I think the codenames changed. By the time I got there they were F1 cities.

I have  12 yr old and a 15 yr old kids.   Just me and my daily talking and all , it has surprised me a lot when they call me out on things and tell me stuff is offensive and I sound like a racist cracker

When they explain to me something is offensive I am surprised.   I have been learning at my ripe ol age that yea-- it doesnt matter if I think it is offensive or not, maybe it wasnt back in the 70s or 80s but time has changed and so should I 

Maybe consider the others feelings 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cafeend said:

I have  12 yr old and a 15 yr old kids.   Just me and my daily talking and all , it has surprised me a lot when they call me out on things and tell me stuff is offensive and I sound like a racist cracker

When they explain to me something is offensive I am surprised.   I have been learning at my ripe ol age that yea-- it doesnt matter if I think it is offensive or not, maybe it wasnt back in the 70s or 80s but time has changed and so should I 

19 & 16 y/o daughters and a wife who works in education. I've also had to temper some of my language as things i thought were completely benign were really offensive to them. 

Outside on the street, I just double up on my use of profanity to make up for it😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

One time at work some people came in late to a company lunch or something and I said "...they got gyped." 

I used to eat lunch regularly in the eighties at a place in Houston's Village neighborhood near Rice University called the Poor Man's Country Club. They had a sign on the wall reading "We gyp every third customer and pass the savings on to you". I thought it was hilarious at the time and would have never thought it to be offensive, but you raise a good point.  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

• Haha 2

Tons of people on the hike and bike today. Even saw groups of track and field kids running??? Before this you couldn't get someone outside with a stick of dynamite. As soon as they're told to stay home and away from people I guess they think "you know maybe I should go for a walk". WTF?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1