IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

1 hour ago, crazyt said:

When white people think they need to come to my rescue because I am asian, that is racist. I can take care of myself.

I should hope that we all want to take care of each other out of kindness, not racism. I'm sorry if you take offense to that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

topic change!

What are you doing to keep yourself, kids, pets, etc sane now that you can't go out?

I am working from my laptop, maintaining my regular routine — wake up at 6 a.m., fart around, start work at 7:30, finish at 4, do something "active" at home, watch TV with the missus — minus the horrible commute. I've been going on walks in the evening with my wife where we see a lot of neighbors out doing the same. might go for a solo ride tonight. using the "spare time" that I suddenly have to keep the house clean and that's about it.

Playing a lot of music, just bought a year of Chordify.

Also started power washing small sections of the property, getting the algae off limestone.

Going to be rewiring a lot of the network, hardwiring more devices.

We sit on a front deck a lot and we are starting to see a trend of neighborhood women walking with yeti wine glasses, 6 feet apart.

Also haven't turned the TV on since Friday. Better sanity without it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AustinBike said:

Going to be rewiring a lot of the network, hardwiring more devices.

Today I was actually thinking about setting up a mini lab with a separate DMZ at home so I could do some lab work from home instead of having to head into work.  I've taken networking classes but pretty much forgotten most of it and what I know I've re-taught myself again.  Nothing like OTJ training to retain knowledge!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Also started power washing small sections of the property, getting the algae off limestone.

Ditto, and I've plenty of limestone. Started scraping and painting the exterior of the house in 10' x 10' sections. Getting rid of overhanging limbs and bamboo from the neighbors. Pulling up all the cinder blocks which formed the base of an old shed. If the shit hits the fan and we're totally locked down, I plan to build one mother of a flow/features track around my double lot. Fuck whoever buys it after we leave!

• Like 3

How are you dealing with the bamboo?  When I bought this house, the PO had bamboo in a plastic pot at the corner of the yard.  I had not noticed that the bamboo would not be contained by the pot and by the time I tried to get rid of it, it was everywherre.  I couldn't find 6" steel edging but I had my landscaper bury 3" steel edging deep, then put another one on top of it.  That seemed to contain it.  Right now it's a constant battle because dirt has driften over the edging and that's all the bamboo needed to jump it.

3 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

How are you dealing with the bamboo?  

Assuming it's mature - at least one inch in diameter - chop it a couple feet above the ground and pour neat Roundup into the hollow interior. That'll get the roots. Couple weeks later, get you a shovel and start digging that shit up. 

Fortunately, this stuff is young and I'm getting it early.

10 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

How are you dealing with the bamboo?  When I bought this house, the PO had bamboo in a plastic pot at the corner of the yard.  I had not noticed that the bamboo would not be contained by the pot and by the time I tried to get rid of it, it was everywherre.  I couldn't find 6" steel edging but I had my landscaper bury 3" steel edging deep, then put another one on top of it.  That seemed to contain it.  Right now it's a constant battle because dirt has driften over the edging and that's all the bamboo needed to jump it.

I just cut and pull. We have a ton of it, on all sides of the back yard. Basically it is my exercise regimen because I don't have a home gym.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Had bamboo and won't go near Roundup much less give Bayer any of my money. I chopped it and did a scorched Earth cocktail of 30% vinegar and salt.

I don't use it generally, except on established, tenacious, bamboo, that I really don't want to ever see again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TAF said:

I don't use it generally, except on established, tenacious, bamboo, that I really don't want to ever see again.

I only used the special stuff for poison ivy.   I got all of it I could with tools and squirt the few that have popped up.  That's as tenacious as the bamboo.

I think I relaxed a bit too much once I thought I had it contained.  I also was OK with it being in one corner since it provides some privacy.  I may make another effort and get rid of it all, and volunteer to help the neighbors with what's on their side now.  I'll try isolating it again and keeping on top of the new shoots.  The rhizomes will eventually die.

1 minute ago, AntonioGG said:

I only used the special stuff for poison ivy.   I got all of it I could with tools and squirt the few that have popped up.  That's as tenacious as the bamboo.

I think I relaxed a bit too much once I thought I had it contained.  I also was OK with it being in one corner since it provides some privacy.  I may make another effort and get rid of it all, and volunteer to help the neighbors with what's on their side now.  I'll try isolating it again and keeping on top of the new shoots.  The rhizomes will eventually die.

You gotta get the root system. Gramma's vinegar probably won't do that. Evil Monsanto will, and you'll likely never have to visit it again.

These are weird days for sure.  Beautiful central Texas Spring! So beautiful and peaceful but meanwhile a raging pandemic is laying waste to a large chunk of the world.  My family is all together and hanging out, eating meals together, sharing music, and talking a lot about the state of affairs.  We were all together in Arkansas for a week, and now we are home and digging in to projects and self-isolating.  With 10 acres here there are endless things to do without going anywhere.   Both kids started their own gardens yesterday, building fences, working the soil.  We went for a great ride today before it got too warm.  Outdoor showers, hammock time, reading, walking the dog.  I spent time yesterday preparing an area and planting with Little Bluestem.  We are filling our days easily.  Still haven’t figured out the grocery acquisition thing since we returned from Bentonville but we can get by another couple of days before we have to do anything.  

• Like 3

On that note, we should change the subject on this thread on how to deal with entertaining and educating kids while working from home.  We relented and got an xbox, and it's a reward for doing chores, exercise, and doing learning stuff like math worksheets, Khan Academy, and streaming documentaries about history and science.  I have even signed my oldest for Cisco Net Academy.

Excellent idea. We did the same thing with my kids but instead of an Xbox, I’m letting them build a gaming PC so we can do VR games. Of course all the VR headsets are sold out but we can play regular games and they should learn something about building computers. Home schooling is going okay for the middle schooler but it is a total bitch with my two high schoolers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I woke up thinking about masks. It's been mentioned, and refuted, and mentioned again. But tell me why it wouldn't work if:

It was mandatory for everyone everywhere to wear a n95 mask any time they are out of their house. 

It seems this would be a double layer of protection. The infected would be coughing inside their masks so nothing floating in the air. The healthy would be protected even if some got into the air somehow. Of course the hand washing protocol continues. 

The reason we are closing businesses and isolating ourselves is to protect us from those that don't know, or don't care, that they are infected. And it wouldn't be perfect of course but it would lower the chances of transmission by a lot. Enough to flatten the curve I would hope.

Restaurant dining rooms would have to remain shut unfortunately, and any other business that required an open mouth in public.

Of course the supply of masks would have to be ramped up.  

I wouldn't even have a problem constitutionally with such a mandate. We are already told to wear a seat belt for safety. 

I went to HEB yesterday. There were very few masks on people. I didn't wear one either. But I was a little nervous about it. But I would have felt a lot more comfortable and safe if everyone was wearing one. 

This seems a much better plan to slow the curve than killing the economy for years to come. It would be LOTS cheaper to send a dozen masks to everyone in the country than all this bail out cost. Yes, if there were enough masks. But this country was building 100 bombers a day (or some amazing number) by the end of WWII so I think we could get there pretty quickly with mask manufacturing.

Edited by The Tip

I read an article that researchers at (I think it was Stanford) had concluded that N95 masks could be baked for 30 minutes at 158F to burn off the virus and they would still maintain their effectiveness.

If that turns out to be true then it is very possible that your idea of masks everywhere is workable. If all of the masks are single use then it is probably not workable.

I've spent a ton of time in Asia and when you see people with masks it was because they were sick and they do not want to spread it. Typically it would be an innocuous cold, but who knows. It's a different culture there and they generally don't go to work and are careful in public.

This moment in history is a lot like World War II in some ways. Everything is shutting down and pivoting to a single purpose. In this case, production is shifting and people are making sacrifices to save lives rather than raze other countries to the ground. The bicycle industry is stepping up. https://www.velonews.com/2020/03/news/cycling-industry-pivots-to-covid-19-protective-gear-production_508192

Industry Nine put out a notice the other day that they are equipped and prepared to make medical equipment. they are waiting for someone to give their factory instructions to start making ventilator parts so they can pause hub production and make those.

also, Tito's hand sanitizer is a real thing. It has a big label on the front that says "not for drinking."

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Tito's hand sanitizer is a real thing. It has a big label on the front that says "not for drinking."

A LOT of distilleries, maybe most, are making hand sanitizer right now. For many "craft" distilleries, it'll be the highest quality product they've produced. 

50 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

This moment in history is a lot like World War II in some ways. Everything is shutting down and pivoting to a single purpose. In this case, production is shifting and people are making sacrifices to save lives rather than raze other countries to the ground. The bicycle industry is stepping up. https://www.velonews.com/2020/03/news/cycling-industry-pivots-to-covid-19-protective-gear-production_508192

Industry Nine put out a notice the other day that they are equipped and prepared to make medical equipment. they are waiting for someone to give their factory instructions to start making ventilator parts so they can pause hub production and make those.

also, Tito's hand sanitizer is a real thing. It has a big label on the front that says "not for drinking."

Yeah, I think if we had a defense procurement act (or whatever it is called) activated all of this would be a lot easier, oh well.

What I am actually waiting for is the ration books like they had in WWII. We could have stopped the mad run on toilet paper if there were rationing. An unfortunate side product of rationing is people selling their ration stamps for cash. The upside on this is that eBay PayPal and Venmo would put us in a better position for more efficiency in the secondary market. If you had to trade your meat stamps for rent, at least there would be a more efficient medium of exchange than me had in WWII.