IGNORED

No coronavirus outside

crazyt

3 minutes ago, Barry said:

A LOT of distilleries, maybe most, are making hand sanitizer right now. For many "craft" distilleries, it'll be the highest quality product they've produced. 

I have some "craft" whiskey that tastes like whiskey with just a hint of a spoiled milk aftertaste, yum.  

30 minutes ago, Barry said:

A LOT of distilleries, maybe most, are making hand sanitizer right now. For many "craft" distilleries, it'll be the highest quality product they've produced. 

Very, very few actually "produce" anything. Most just buy the base spirit and age/blend/bottle and slap their decal on it. 

4 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Just like most of the wineries don't grow their own grapes.

100%

Going back to spirits. Bone Spirits in Smithville was one of the few who actually produced their own mash from local sources and distilled on site. From what I understand they lost their founding distiller and have recently shifted to production of base spirits for other companies and dropped most of their line from any distribution.  

Back to the coronapocalypse 

Edited by ATXZJ

21 hours ago, olddbrider said:

I know we should always ride to the ride, but - hypothetically speaking - do we think that throwing the bike on the back of the car to get to and from a trail is covered by the term "biking" in the shelter in place proclamation?

I think so

everyone wearing masks is not feasible though you could probably get most people to wear masks. I suspect this is what will happen to get the economy going again. It will be a mixture of isolation for high risk people, masks for people that need to go out and work, and people that have gotten it and are immune just able to go out in general.  They will have bracelets or cards for people that have seroconverted and have demonstrable antibodies. they will end up like livestrong bracelets

You could start a marketing/viral trend with immunity bracelets right now (someone will)

This will go for about 12 months until a vaccine is made.

Edited by crazyt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, I think if we had a defense procurement act (or whatever it is called) activated all of this would be a lot easier, oh well.

What I am actually waiting for is the ration books like they had in WWII. We could have stopped the mad run on toilet paper if there were rationing. An unfortunate side product of rationing is people selling their ration stamps for cash. The upside on this is that eBay PayPal and Venmo would put us in a better position for more efficiency in the secondary market. If you had to trade your meat stamps for rent, at least there would be a more efficient medium of exchange than me had in WWII.

it has been invoked, but mfg are volunteering so the mandate isnt really necessary (yet)

Where it would be helpful is in the direction of output. Right now states are all competing with each other and it is creating a mess. "Market forces" are a bad thing at this time. We need a more centralized process for managing the distribution. You don't want one state with a lot of resources and not a as large a need sucking up all of the facemasks for instance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Very, very few actually "produce" anything. Most just buy the base spirit and age/blend/bottle and slap their decal on it. 

Friend of mins is part of Moonshine Ridge, now out in Johnson City. They do in fact mash, ferment, then distill their own.

• Like 1

Dawn, It's Southern Walnut Creek Trail, the paved multi-use path.  It begins in Govalle Park, on Bolm Road just off Airport and ends at Johnny Morris Road, although you can cross Johnny Morris,  continue along a side walk, cross Decker Lane keep pedaling  by Lake Walter E. Long,  ending at Lindell Lane.

9 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

This moment in history is a lot like World War II in some ways. Everything is shutting down and pivoting to a single purpose. In this case, production is shifting and people are making sacrifices to save lives rather than raze other countries to the ground. The bicycle industry is stepping up. https://www.velonews.com/2020/03/news/cycling-industry-pivots-to-covid-19-protective-gear-production_508192

Industry Nine put out a notice the other day that they are equipped and prepared to make medical equipment. they are waiting for someone to give their factory instructions to start making ventilator parts so they can pause hub production and make those.

also, Tito's hand sanitizer is a real thing. It has a big label on the front that says "not for drinking."

I watched this yesterday.  This is awesome.   I imagine this is a little bit like WWII was with everyone pitching in:

• Like 5

Did my “exercise” today. SWCT bypass is a mess. Ended up riding through the east side and through the Hops and Grain lot. I miss fresh local beer after a ride. The wine my wife coaxed me into after my ride just doesn’t cut it. 

What bypass? I rode a portion Saturday from Govalle park to the Y on 51st. Didnt see bypass. Is it new in recent days or further North?

Not sure about the bypass, I jumped on at 51st from the Y and saw the bypass sign. Basically it was routing me back to 51st to cross back over 183. Never made it down to the 183 reroute, just jumped off at 183. 

mack_turtle was the one who said it was a mess and I had forgotten that point until I got there. Maybe I should have gone south more, only got to MLK before heading back to the city. 

The bridge at the YMCA/ 51st St. is fine. Being an idiot, we approached the switchbacks that lead to the overpass by way of the dirt parking lot instead of going around the pillar and approaching the switchbacks from there.

The SWCT trail going under 183 is supposedly hard to use on weekdays because crews are working on it. I rode under it on Sunday and it was fine.

I had no problem on the 51st street overpass, here's what I ended up doing:

1652805250_ScreenShot2020-03-26at6_04_02AM.thumb.jpg.ec894c981bd61667273f3e40cb3faf08.jpg

You can see my short excursion on the trail on the far right. Since I am running out of places to ride on the streets I will save the SWCT for weekends. Town lake is now off limits because the city is probably going to crack down on it based on how many people are "exercising" on it. Need to map some new routes to keep me away from people.

There's a Corona Drive parallel to the 51st St. leg of your ride, east of I 35.  

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

1652805250_ScreenShot2020-03-26at6_04_02AM.thumb.jpg.ec894c981bd61667273f3e40cb3faf08.jpg

You can see my short excursion on the trail on the far right. Since I am running out of places to ride on the streets I will save the SWCT for weekends. Town lake is now off limits because the city is probably going to crack down on it based on how many people are "exercising" on it. Need to map some new routes to keep me away from people.

It's not super pleasant riding, but there is a wide sidewalk on the south side of 290 Toll that can be used as part of a long loop.  Traffic lights have lights with crosswalks that  let you cross safely at major intersections (like 183), but you have to be super heads up to make sure that those making a right turn know that you're right there before you head into the cross walk.  

You can also ride back roads into Manor from the end of the Southern Walnut Creek trail where it ends at Lindell Lane.  I "think" there's a way to get on the big 290 sidewalk in Manor, but now sure exactly how that works. 

Edited by June Bug

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

How is the riding along MLK now? did they add some bike lanes recently?

last time I drove that route, it looked like a nightmare. I would want to get away from that ASAP and take Tannehill Lane to Webberville to 12th street for that route. 

It sucked. There are some bike lanes, some sidewalks, and some places that I had to take the lane, which is not my favored option as many drivers don't understand that concept.

The only reason I stayed on MLK is that I was too lazy to pull out my phone and start looking for options. Once I got to airport I knew where I was exactly (versus approximately ) and I could navigate to my old route.